Spelling

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Spelling

Postby painprincess1 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:19 am

Ok well in here I'm ok but in the real world right a letter hahaha don't make me laugh I can't even spell my name somedays does anyone else find they lose the power to spell due to this fibro and his mate mr memory . It's taken me five mins to even do it as I can write the words I want to use makes me sooo dam madxxxxxxxx
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Re: Spelling

Postby SchroedingersCat » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:27 am

No. I sometimes struggle to remember the word I need or someone's name in conversation, but when writing I have absolutely no problems at all.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby paulamcl » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:34 am

Yes I find spelling a nightmare. I work in a dispensary and was off for six months. I returned just before Christmas and since I've been back I've found I can hardly spell any of the drugs correctly. If I take a phone in script I have to write it down how it sounds half the time. I also use google quite a lot to spell words that are so simple. I'm so glad i'm not the only one that has this problem. I thought I was just becoming really thick :lol: If I write a letter I have to get some one else to proof read it to because I end up just putting in the wrong words and even though I've read it I miss them completely. Fibro has a lot to answer to :(
paulamcl
UKFM Member

Postby MikH-D » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:13 pm

I know the feeling, thank god my husband can spell, and thank heavens for autocorrect though sometimes that can even understand how I try to spell things :p
Word of the moment I am constantly spelling wrong is solicitors which doesn't help when I and in the middle of buying and selling :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MikH-D
UKFM Member

Postby Kiara » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:06 pm

I find it difficult to find and use the correct words for things, i have bad brain fog . I also can't read long mails or txts so i ask my husband to read them to me, my brain actually hurts . I empathise with you , hugs x
Kiara
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:15 pm

This is was something I was talking at OH about this morning. PreFM my spelling, punctuation, grammar etc were exceptional, always had been thru school, and when I was working, I was tasked with rewriting a lot of the standard letters that were sent out.

Recently tho, I've noticed it is changing, and that change is happening a bit too quickly for my liking :shock: :shock: :( :( I've started transposing letters in words and digits in longer numbers. I've also found that I'm needing to look at the keyboard when typing anything, if not then even more gibberish than usual comes out :oops: :oops: :oops:

From having Mr SpellChecker switched off most of the time, he's now on constantly, and is more than making up for all those times he was just lounging around in the background.

As for forgetting words when I'm speaking, this has been with me for a long time, with my favourite thing (when I'm relatively on form) being to throw in the most random word I can think off when it happens :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: The looks of :-? :-? :shock: on the faces of whoever I'm speaking to when I have managed to do it are so so so :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Suzyhyde » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:38 pm

It makes me soooo happppy to know I am not on my own,my husband.is dyslexic he is always asking how to spell for the last 27 years never been a problem now I think sometimes my brain has one to mush sometimes the most simple word is a problem !!!!
Suzyhyde
UKFM Member

Postby fletch » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:46 pm

I always use the computer for writing letters it has spell check and grammar
fletch
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:37 pm

Count me in. At first it seemed that I couldn't get the right word out.

Then it would be that I am talking and all of a sudden stop, I am blank and a few seconds later carry on, sometimes forgetting to put a word in the sentence even though I had said it in my head.

The spelling came next, or lack of it. Proper grammar, forget it.

Now I find that I am writing as bad as my talking. I stop writing mid sentence and then carry on but have forgotten to add half the sentence. I have to go over things again and again because I get a bit through it and forget what I read or what I am meaning to say.

Make sense? :dunno:
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby bestnan » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:41 pm

I have the same problem as yourself but I can't find some letters in words. I also forget the name of items and people and often lose my thought tracks when talking. Numbers are also a problem to me, especially giving change and using a telephone. Sometimes I end up dialing 3 or 4 times before I get it right.

It's all rather scary, so much so I asked to be tested to see if I have dementia. I don't thank God, but it frightened me and still does. One of the many nasty sides to this horrendous condition. I used to pride myself on my ability to remember telephone numbers, addresses, names and now I can't always remember my own name LOL
bestnan
UKFM Member

Postby katz65 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:44 pm

Tell me about it, but at least with writing I can keep checking although it takes me a lot longer & if its a form I get my partner to fill it in for me.

What drives me crazy is when I talk & the words that are in my head are not what comes out fully in a sentence, some come out wrong & sometimes I know it after I have said it, other times I don't realize it & other times I stop not knowing what I was talking about, then several minutes go by & I remember & when I tried to explain to my doctor about it, everything came out perfectly, so he made me an appointment to come back for a memory test, which again came out all fine but this annoyed me cause he doesn't seem to understand what I am trying to explain, Grrrrrr!!

At least it give my partner & son a good laugh...
katz65
UKFM Member

Postby bandj » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:27 pm

I'm pretty ok with spelling but it's when I'm speaking that I have the most problems.

I was talking to my manager the other day and my mind went totally blank! It was as if my brain had switched off! I stared at the wall but that was no help. I had to ask my manager what we had been talking about!
There are these three things that remain: faith, hope and love. And the greatest of these is LOVE.
1 Corinthians 13:13
bandj
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia