Fed up already

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Fed up already

Postby jacqui58 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:06 pm

Hi everyone :-)

I just want to say I'm feeling really cheesed off at the moment.I hope its alright to just come hear and moan as I think I will go mad otherwise.I was told by my gp 10 days ago that i was diagnosed with fb in 1993,no one ever told me,I thought all the aches,pains ,depression bouts,feeling tired and exhausted where due to me having a hysterectomy in 1992.i was put on hrt but had to come off it because i had symptoms of a stroke and was told i had to go without. This was about 6 years ago now.

For the past 4 years I have been going to my gp about chest pains ,pain in my knees and aching all the time,after blood tests,24 hour heart rate monitoring nothing came out of it,I was beginning to think I was going mad! My gp said it was stress and to learn how to deal with it!!

We have moved house since last august and have now a new medical practise.I have been suffering with my knee apin and now pain in my hand and base of my thumb also pins and needles which i have had for some years but thought it may go away.After having yet more bloods done to rule out the usual diseases and an xray on my knee to rule out osteoarthirtis i had to go back to the gp who then did some tests herself and kindly let me into what was wrong. i was horrified no one had told me and the shock of realising that what my body was going through is not going away has been difficult to take in

I have been through bouts of depression,crying because these awful pains have got worse,my back is killing me all the time and sometimes i cant even open a bottle. I was given amytriptaline and to go back to the gp in a few weeks.im so low at the moment ,the pains that are everywhere is getting me down...how long is this going to last for?

My gp told me to do some research which i am doing looking into alternative ways of dealing with all of this but there is so much i dont know where to turn and feel so bogged down with it all,I hate sitting around like this and moping but i cant seem to get out of this dark hole i feel im in at the moment!

Sorry that i have ranted on for such a long time hope you all dont mind i guess im just feeling sorry for myself :( ......anyone else been through this?
Thanks everyone :-)
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split into smaller, clearer paragraphs for easier reading.
jacqui58
UKFM Newbie

Re: Fed up already

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:27 pm

Sorry to hear how things are for you Jacqui. What you're experiencing at the moment with your mood dropping and darkening, is something most of us have experienced when being told we have FM. It seems to be a part of the process that we have to pass thru before we can set out on our FibroQuests to find the best way to live this new chapter in life we have started.

It does pass, but it needs time and it certainly can't be hurried, or short~cut/circumvented. We have to go thru it at our appropriate rate before we can start seeing where the way out may be.

With the different things you've been looking at research~wise, have you tried using the search box in the top right corner of each page??? As well as references to things that have been tried, there will also be experiences of some who have tried things out, which may help you feel/find your way along the path for a while.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby LouLou » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:47 am

Hi Jacqui

As Fluppy said we have all had to come to terms with being given the diagnosis of having FM. I was diagnosed about 2 years ago now but had to undergo a year and a half of tests and not knowing what was wrong. Even though my GP mentioned that he suspected FM but wanted to make absolutely sure it still didn't really sink it with me until the Rheumatologist gave me the official diagnosis.

For about 30 seconds I felt relief at finally knowing what was wrong, that it wasn't all in my head and that I now had a name for what was going on with me. After those 30 seconds I broke down and didn't stop for about a week.

I eventually managed to pull myself together by doing some research - I think feeling like I was trying to make things better for myself helped me gather my thoughts and feel pro active. I wasn't ready to give up or give in to the pain.

Even now I still get times (as I'm sure most members on here do too) where I go back to that dark place, where the pain gets too much and I feel like I want to give up - it can wear you down. But coming on here, talking to people who know how I'm feeling and know the kind of pain I'm talking about really helps.

So keep talking Jacqui - if you don't have anyone in person you can really speak to then come on here and let it out, we don't mind :-D

As for alternative ways to help, I have aromatherapy massage once a week. I can only handle really light pressure and luckily my mum is a fully trained therapist so I can get one when I need one. I've found this has really helped with the pain and stiffness. Some people with FM can't handle massage at all though but thought I would mention it as something for you to maybe consider looking into?

Some people have tried accupuncture too - I haven't tried this but if you type it in the search box you'll find some posts on it from people who have tried it.

I have about 10 hot water bottles for the various parts of my body that hurt and they are all shapes and sizes. In the summer when it's too hot for hot water bottles I use ice packs instead.

Also I use a TENS machine which you can attach to the parts that really hurt you and you can adjust the settings to the intensity that suits you - you can also get one with heat pads.

I often suffer with back pains and it's so frustrating as you just can't seem to get comfortable. For this I use those sticky on heat pads you can buy - they can be quite costly and only last for a number of hours but I did discover that the pound shop does these and they work just as well :lol:

Think I've waffled on long enough now, I just wanted to give you some hope Jacqui and show you that there are things out there that can help you. Also, give the amitryptaline a bit of time to work into your system. Not only is this used for depression but can also help with pain and sleep. I was on it a few years ago and it worked well for me it just took some time.

Hope that helps you Jacqui.

:hugs:
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby painprincess1 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:46 am

Hi hunnie, I remember dr telling me about a op I was to have on a tumor guess what know one told me I had one .i am glad u found a new dr who seems to understand fibro. And yes everyone here men and women have all been to the dark side as I call it.and we offen fell down the odd hole even now and need ppl to pull us out,this is one of the best places to come for understanding ppl and a chat.there's not much we haven't tried here ,I'm sure we can help u, and I time I bet u find something u tired we didn't and in turn u will help us and many other new ppl who come in.pls don't see this as an end to a sad story see it as a new beginning yes a hard one and long one but one u will get on top of and start to life your life again.
Sure u will be in pain but half the battle I find is knowing I'm not alone and I can tap out a mail on here and some kind person will help me out even if it's just a kind word.
Xxxxxxx
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby jacqui58 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:39 pm

Thank you so much everyone for your kind words of rncouragemnt I felt really touched. I guess I let the whole thing get to me and really didn;t want to believe it :( At the moment I am trying a grain free diet only started this week but it was something the owner of our local health shop suggested I gave a try.I am finding it hard at the moment because so many things have some sort of grain in the ingreidents! I am just about eating loads of veg and fruit and meat and fish till I can come up with alternatives to bread ect :-?
My hubby has bought a product called myaxial I think thats how its spelt which contains glucosamine,malic acid and some other things so I am giving this a go...will let you know if it helps.
I am just about getting to grips with the way my body is behaving at the moment I think all the upset has possibly made things worse,the aches and pains I did have seem worse and I am having loads of mouth ulcers too?? :-? I am hoping all will ease soon,at least I can hope and also learn to laugh things off and not let this fibro get the better of me.
Thank you again all its nice to know there are people out there feeling or have felt the same.... :-)
jacqui58
UKFM Newbie

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia