Environment - important or not?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Environment - important or not?

Postby Karou » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:24 am

Hello everyone,

I've got to go back to the big city once again. Been back and forth between London and the Kentish countryside for the past months and I always worry about the traveling. But that's not all.

I've noticed that I seem to feel worse in London. I like the city but since Fibro showed itself I keep feeling what I call sensory overload. Everything around me, people, animals, any kind of transportation, music, tv, phones, it turns into one massive loud blur and I start feeling irritated, panicky and like something bad is going to happen and I just need to be alone with earplugs because the sounds and feelings are so overwhelming and too much for me.

Smells are a problem too. Whether it's fumes from cars, someone's perfume, fresh cut grass, food, cigarettesmoke, it gives me headaches and nausea. Which could bea problem because everyone where I live smokes, it goes everywhere in thehouse coming from upstairs and downstairs or even in the bathroom when they have a bath. Not much I can do or say though, it's their house.

And then there's the cat. She's got fleas on and off, her owner doesn't always put the flea treatment on her and she's going outside. I still have the nasty things in my room and the bite marks from June are still visible on my legs. :cry: The house owner doesn't get bitten at all so first I got odd looks but then she bought fleaspray. Which doesn't work. Plus, some of the other person's furniturehad to stay in the room so the cat will sometimes sneak in when they access the wardrobe and sleep on my bed or chair. If only she'd be flealess.

The house is right near a busy main road. Even at night you can'topen the window unless you're able to blend out the constant traffic, police cars, ambulances, shouting people, etc. And last time I went back I discovered mold on the wall. With the amount of benefit I get there's nowhereelse I could go right now.

I'm grateful for having a roof over my head but even the thought of having to sleepnear mould with unpleasant sounds, cigarette smoke and fleas....argh, stressed out already. :scream-1: :pull-hair: Earlier, I was trying to look at a menu of a cafe ( a friend took me) but I went dizzy, nauseous, my eyes wouldn't focus. I could see letters but my brain couldn't make words, like it didn't know which letter goes where. It really scared me.

Does anyone else feel that certain environments make you worse? How do you deal with it?
Gentle :hugs: :hugs: , Karou

“Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.” - Brimstone
Karou
UKFM Member

Re: Environment - important or not?

Postby bandj » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:35 pm

I've never liked loud noises but now I'm really sensitive to loud noises. Where we live, it's quiet but I have trouble at work. Some people in my office have rather loud and penetrating voices and I flinch. There's nothing I can do except put up with it. :cry:
There are these three things that remain: faith, hope and love. And the greatest of these is LOVE.
1 Corinthians 13:13
bandj
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:39 pm

I really do think that environment can have an impact on how we are feeling, with all the stresses and strains that go along side were you are actually located are those you are having in your home environment. Flea bites, smoke and mould are not going to make you feel any better. Could you not talk to your local housing authority and perhaps with the backing of your doctors etc. see if there is anything they can do to help you :?: :?: :?: :?:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Oriole » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:39 pm

I wonder WHY people with fibromyalgia are more sensitive to these things? Is it a physical thing, a sensory thing or because we are more prone to anxiety? It is often listed as a symptom of fibro, but I'd really like to understand why.
Oriole
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:35 am

There are so many theories as to what makes us different so I suppose the only answer at the moment is I dont know :?: :?: :?: :?: wish I did, we just seem to be sensitive souls :roll: :roll: :roll:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby painprincess1 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:11 am

Well why don't u get some spray of your own and spray your floors and around the walls and on your chair when u get there.and the cat if u can get hold of her ,how well do u get on with the cats owner could u not pick up a cheap collier and say to her look I hope u don't mind but these bites are really playing me up so I got tiddles a coller.if not tell her as no one should put up with that I had someone's cat in. My house all the time I got him some frontline spot on lasted 3months comes in a little perpet, now u got me all itchy lol
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:00 pm

Environment is important, not just to us, but to everyone as it's effects add to how we are, not just health wise, but also to the person as a whole.

I was told I had problems with sensory overload well before FM showed it's ugly purple face. It was explained to me like this........As my mind constantly races, it means that it is trying to process every single bit of info that I hear, see, smell etc rather than filtering out what it does and doesn't need, using what is needed and discarding the extra stuff. Because of this, it's a bit like a self defence/protection mechanism that is triggered off to try and reduce the amount of info that is flooding in to give it a chance of catching up with things. Add in a dose of anxiety, and what used to be the sweetest smelling aroma, or the most delicate of sounds is suddenly trying to smother and deafen me.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Karou » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:24 pm

Thanks for taking time to reply.

Well today L took her dog to the vet and guess what, she's got fleas on her. Cat fleas. So she's fuming as it's her daughter's cat. She's bought a spray from the vet ( I still haven't got any money and ESA appeal was refused, the judge doesn't believe the letters got lost. So I'll write back to them but also put in a new claim because it's all I can do to be able to buy food). And she's bought advocate for her cats so there will be a spare one for the flea cat. The owner's gotta do it though because that cat is a bit aggressive and won't let others touch her.

I've searched about sensory overload and found this article http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4810794. There's also a link to a self test. I found it quite interesting and most of this applied to me long before I was diagnosed.

Regarding the loud noises, I flinch when an ambulance goes past here and large gatherings ofpeople make me uncomfortable. I can, however, have days where I'm like this and still listen to my music on a louder setting. As long as it blocks anything else out. I wonder if it's just me being weird? Or do you get like this too?

Karou
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:12 pm

If you're being weird, them I am too as I've found that using music to block things/distract me helps. My phone is crammed with all sorts of genres and guilty pleasures, and I have a decent noise isolating headset to listen thru.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Karou » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:05 pm

Lol FP, well then we can be weird in a group. Anyone else wanna join? We have cake. :mrgreen:

I've got different ones, bought when I was still lucky enough with work. One is quite heavy now, can't wear it too long thanks to Fibro ranting and giving me headaches from the pressure. It's a JVC Xtreme Xplosives over the ear. Got the in ear one too. They block enough noise and weren't too expensive. My current fav though is the hed kandi discothèque. Light, only one side with a cable ( headphones are a dangerous weapon for strangling myself) and comfy padding for the ear pieces.

What's yours? Now I wonder if a new topic about the most comfy headphones would make sense.

Karou
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia