Gym

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Gym

Postby loubylou17 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:32 am

Hi

Just wondered if anyone goes to the gym, my physio suggested that I go and do 5 mins on a bike or rowing machine and a couple of laps in the pool. I use crutches and I don't know if they will let me in. Does anyone have any experience of this?

Lou
loubylou17
UKFM Newbie

Re: Gym

Postby colinthestig » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:50 am

I dont have crutches but the gym is good to keep you from sizing up then I go in the hot tub that helps so much I dont wont to get out
colinthestig
UKFM Newbie

Postby Alexandria1979 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:06 pm

Its worth asking. I use a stick and am a member at my local village hotel gym. I Take my Stick poolside and prop it up near the edge. My pool is a walk in steps type which is much better for getting in and out of compared to silver ladder style!
Alexandria1979
UKFM Newbie

Postby padders » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:14 pm

Hi i am a wheelchair user and go to the gym in it. I go around in my chair and use my crutches to get up and down or if chair cannot get closer enough to equipment and i have no problems. I started of 5 min low impact bikes using one with back support on. I know manage 25 mins in a medium setting. I also swim but only use crutches around pool and non slip flip flops. Your local gym should accommodate your needs with no problems. It is hard and takes it out if me but i keep going as it does help with stiffness and keeping muscles working x
padders
UKFM Member

Postby HazelB » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:24 pm

I use my sticks to get around in the gym, including in the pool area. Our gym has steps to get in with 2 handrails (they also have traditional ladder type steps at other end of pool). However, they also have a hoist for anyone with a disability who cannot use the steps.

I do some low impact work on bike, rowing machine and summit (similar to a cross trainer) and then go into heated pool to do some stretches. I finish off with steam room or sauna, then Jacuzzi.

My exercise programme was worked out with one of the trainers, and if she's on shift when I'm in she's always checking in me that I'm not overdoing things xxx

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk
(soft hugs)
Hazel xxx
HazelB
UKFM Member

Postby Eltham girl » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:16 pm

I try to swim for 30 minutes most days. It's the only time I feel 'normal'! I can't do gym because of my arthritis. I really love my swims, I think, I get angry, I feel fitter. I know it won't last too much longer as I already struggle to get in and out but while it lasts ......... ;-)
Eltham girl
UKFM Newbie

Postby loubylou17 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:59 am

Thank you all, I will go see them at my gym and if they don't let me I will find a new one. I have been paying my subs for 3 years and not gone.

Lou
loubylou17
UKFM Newbie

Postby Mye » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:42 pm

I am attending pain management at the moment. I was diagnoised fibro 6th dec last yr. I am attendding a gym with the physio who has told me that exercise can actually aggrevate fibro so I am on very slow and 30 second exercises she has recommended Taichi? Does any else do this?
Mye
UKFM Newbie

Postby sjc » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:03 pm

Hi there,

Hope you are ok. It is a very good question that you raised, as it is always difficult to know when and how to exercise with any physical related condition, like fibromyalgia, etc...

I recommend swimming, of course. It is up to you how you wish to swimming and the techniques that you use....you know your own body at the end of the day and the swimming ability that your have....I personally know when I don't do swimming for a few weeks, as I become very tired indeed if I don't stick to the swimming regularly...the only issue with swimming is if the water is cold and the swimming baths don't have access to disability adaptions in the pool, like hoists....so if you like swimming, try to look for a disabled friendly swimming pool, if possible...in terms of swimming, I do freestyle swimming, especially doggy paddle type of swim in the water....I only swim for about 30-60 minutes each session, and I take it gentle...but that is my way of doing things. I would rather take it easy, if that makes sense.

In terms of other forms of exercise, I prefer gentle walking around my local village on my good days....and in terms of the gym, I find that doing a slow to normal walk on the treadmill is ok for me...the length you wish to do is up to you in the gym, but don't over do it...otherwise you will feel it afterwards.

I know rowing machines are ok for gentle exercise...Aqua aerobics at the swimming baths is pretty good. I been to an aqua aerobics class once, and very gentle....most of the people that went to the aqua aerobic class was mature or had some issue like disability or weight issue, so most of us was in the same boat, I guess in some way

I would start with something gentle in the beginning and pace yourself - that is the only thing you can do...even if you can only do 15-minute to 30 minutes a day of exercise, well it still exercising at the end of the day.

And never feel guilty about having a bad day where you cannot do anything.....

Listen to your own body....even though doctors and physios are lovely and can give some great advice, but always follow your own way of doing things as well.....

Take care, and hope you find something suitable for the gym or any exercise programme.
sjc
UKFM Member

Postby HazelB » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:01 am

sjc wrote:
I would start with something gentle in the beginning and pace yourself - that is the only thing you can do...even if you can only do 15-minute to 30 minutes a day of exercise, well it still exercising at the end of the day.

I go to gym twice a week. To start with, I could only do 2 mins on bike, rowing machine and summit stepper. Over a month, I've been able to slowly increase time on bike and rowing machine ...but still less than 10 mins in total.

With any exercise, it's starting at where you are at, and slowly increasing. Whether that is 2 or 20 mins isn't important, it's the fact that you are doing something that matters xxx

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk
(soft hugs)
Hazel xxx
HazelB
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia