Mattress help....

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Mattress help....

Postby DeedleDee » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:41 am

hi all,

My husband and I are looking to buy a new mattress that is going to help with my fibro sleep problems. I am in pain a lot of the time and usually wake up 3-4 times a night because I'm sore. I'm also in a lot of pain and very stiff in the morning - my body feels unrested. There is so much info online about different mattresses and due to my lack of concentration I'm finding it hard to sift through all the info so I wondered if anyone knows of any good mattresses that don't cost too much money that might help me. I think I'm looking for a medium to firm mattress (from what I've read this is the most beneficial??) but I don't want memory foam I don't think. We have a memory foam one at the moment and I'm not sure if it was because it was really cheap but it just does nothing for me. (I think it possibly worsens my symptoms.)

I am on a budget (aren't we all) so can't get one of the really posh ones - hoping to spend £250 at the most.

If anyone has any experiences that might help please please let me know as this would be very useful for me.

I would also be interested to know if anyone has thoughts on divan vs bed frame.

Hoping a new mattress may help ease a few if the nighttime symptoms I have - restless legs, back and hip pain, general discomfort, lack of sleep etc etc.

Thanks folks :-)
D xx

catch the moments as they fly, and use them as you ought....
DeedleDee
UKFM Member

Re: Mattress help....

Postby Kyomii » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:55 am

I have been buying my memory foam mattresses from http://www.memory-mattress.co.uk for the last 9 years (practically since they set up)

Bought a total if 3 so far, I am in bed all the time so I have to replace earlier than average. In the which? Magazine, their mattresses did better on test than Tempur and are cheaper. It is the foam density you need to be aware of when looking into memory foam. Hope that helps.
Kyomii
UKFM Member

Postby sam4johnny » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:58 am

I bought a fab pocket sprung with memory foam pillow top from eBay. For a king size it was £150 and was delivered in a couple of days. I love it, it really helps with my hips and back. Here's a link http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/151110259408?nav=SEARCH xx
Mummy to two boys, 4 & 7, FM & Bipolar AND full-time undergraduate student! I must be MAD!!

Everything happens for a reason - just don't know the reason I'm so ill!! :(
sam4johnny
UKFM Member

Postby DeedleDee » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:23 pm

sam4johnny - how long have you had that mattress for? It sounds similar to the type I'm looking for....unsure how long it would last though given it's so cheap....

My last one was cheap and to be fair I have had a few years out of it now but it probably should've been replaced about a year ago!!

I'm intrigued to see how much of a difference a suitable mattress can make to my symptoms :?:

Kyomii - thank you for your response. I'm really unsure about memory foam as the current one I have is not working for either me or my husband. Thank you for the link though - I will definitely have a look :-)
D xx

catch the moments as they fly, and use them as you ought....
DeedleDee
UKFM Member

Postby Paula200 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:25 pm

I have a memory foam which is amazing but I also have a feather mattress topper from QVC and feather pillows they were worth every penny the feathers cuddle me really helps with the pain.

Good luck
Paula200
UKFM Member

Postby sam4johnny » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:25 pm

Had it about 8 months and no sign of sagging. It still looks and feels brand new. I think with the pocket sprung underneath and memory foam in top you get the best of both worlds. Also they took away old mattress for £10. I highly recommended them and I'm pretty sure if you didn't like it straight away they'd take it back but I don't know for sure x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mummy to two boys, 4 & 7, FM & Bipolar AND full-time undergraduate student! I must be MAD!!

Everything happens for a reason - just don't know the reason I'm so ill!! :(
sam4johnny
UKFM Member

Postby mabel » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:35 pm

I have also just bought a new mattress. It is memory foam and took me weeks to get used to it.
Felt very achy for a few weeks. I think probably too soft and also too hot. Mainly we need some support for hips/back.
MY previous bed too hard but slept on a foam topper for years. Just too scared to swop it again now as am just getting used to new matress and don't wasn't to go through the whole breaking in part again. Yes very stressful choosing the right one and we then have to sleep on it for many years so hav to get it right.
Also I think divan much better and solid. Have messed up with that part too!
Happy bed hunting!
mabel
UKFM Member

Postby jllh03 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:17 pm

Hi' been looking for new bed for mths while I saved up been to lots of different shops and sites I have finally choosen mine after talking to sales assistant and general people .
Bed people told me the best one to get is one with springs and memory foam top as all memory foam can damage your joints even more as they are pulled into the bed and not supported aswell. I have heard so many people say that memory foam ones are hard to turn in and first thing in the morning to get out of bed.and they get too hot you can get climate control but then it's more money.
If you can manage it go to a local shop and lay down on the mattress for at least 5mins each as that gives you a true feel try turning around on them see which is easy talk to the sales people we all know they are they to push you for a sales but all you need to do is tell them what your needs are and they should point you in the right direction I have found personally independent shops have more time ask them to write price and mattress name down then go home and google it to see what other people have said before settling on a price.
We are all on a budget but please remember on your bad days u may end up staying in bed so may be better choosing a better mattress and saving for a few more months then rushing in and it not being right.
Hope this doesn't sound too bossy, hope you manage to get it sorted
Jen
jllh03
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia