Dreading Work

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Dreading Work

Postby JDWench » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:25 pm

I'm newly diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, I've just had a week off work as holiday so I've been able to manage the never ending fatigue well but I'm due to go back tomorrow and I'm terrified! I've been so achy and exhausted all day with shooting pains in my hips and back. They have been less than supportive and have told me I'm not allowed anymore time off sick. I tried to educate them on the matter and they threw my literature away! I've started Amitriptylin and take paracetamol but can anyone recommend anything for me as a quick fix (if it exists) because I need to have a good day tomorrow and I just don't know what to do. :(
Help me raise money for Reach http://www.justgiving.com/Sadie-Scott1
JDWench
UKFM Member

Re: Dreading Work

Postby jackaddict » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:47 pm

Unfortunately, there is no quick fix. Strong painkillers only do so much but usually add to the fatigue. I've been signed off work for nearly 2 years now and in my current condition, I wouldn't last 5 minutes in my job. I hope tomorrow is a better day for you.
jackaddict
UKFM Member

Postby Libby28 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:22 pm

can I ask what job you do?
Libby28
UKFM Member

Postby libbiek30 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:33 pm

Do u work full time? Maybe u cud do less hours. I work 30 hours and that is more than enough! :-D
libbiek30
UKFM Member

Postby JDWench » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:39 pm

I work in a shop 25 hours a week and am on my feet all say as well as a 2 mile walk there and back unless I can get a lift because to get home by bus involves going to town and changing and takes over an hour.
Help me raise money for Reach http://www.justgiving.com/Sadie-Scott1
JDWench
UKFM Member

Postby Andyp » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:48 pm

This depends on what your job is, but if it is an office job could you not ask if you could work from home one or two days at week. I was diagnosed with fibro in November last year and now work one day a week at home. I'm still really tired all the time, but having a day a week at home means I have a day of working at my own pace and not feel rushed.

Hope you are able to find a solution.
Andyp
UKFM Member

Postby zappa20 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:34 am

Short of reducing your hours or finding other suitable employment can only suggest an organised routine . One which ensures you have enough good quality sleep with all the pre bed time relaxation time you might need. Perhaps organising your time off work carefully, not only just to rest but to possibly bulk cook meals then freeze so having less tasks when you get home from work and feel tired. Switching to clothes which are easily laundered and need less ironing etc. Enlisting help from family and friends with the housework sometimes..

All these little things can add up and help to keep you in work. You said your employers threw your Fibro literature away. What sort of ifnoramtion did you give them?. I'm not convinced although many say they're great that some the Spoon theory or Fibro Is Real sheets are easily understood by anyone reading them. Unless they've actually experienced fibro or similar, are perhaps a close relative, or generally very sympathetic. Even I find them sort of couched in somewhat emotive dramatic terms.

But as Fibro is recognised as a disability i'm sure someone could advise if your employer or boss would legally have to make allowances or adjustments to allow you to continue in work. Even if jsut a 5 minute sit down break every hour or so . Hopefully someone in the know can advise better.

Amitryptiline takes a few weeks to have any effect if it is going to help , and can also need the does increased so may take some time to make a significant if any difference. I felt Amitryptiline were great for nerve pain, the best out of all of them, but due to irregular heart rythmn I'm not allowed them. Hope they kick in and give you some help.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia