Dealing with Fibromyalgia diagnosis

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Dealing with Fibromyalgia diagnosis

Postby Andyp » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:08 pm

I was given my fibro diagnosis last November, but I am still finding it very difficult to accept.

I feel like I want to have a good cry, but the tears won't come out. I also have depression and the last few months it has got worse.

Has anybody else found it difficult to accept their diagnosis.

Thank you.
Andyp
UKFM Member

Re: Dealing with Fibromyalgia diagnosis

Postby dee28 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:21 pm

Hi, yes I have found it very hard but in away it was a relief to know what is was, as I have been ill for over twenty years so to know that I am not barking mad is good. I have had to change Doctors as I was not getting any help from my last one. Hope to see new one tomorrow and get some drugs because at time I can't move.

I hope that you manage to get your head round it, now you know what it is you can start to manage it. Find a support group with other people that are also going through the same then you get to realise that you are nor the only one out there.
Good luck with it. :-D
dee28
UKFM Newbie

Postby calipsopink » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:34 pm

I was told last April and I cried for weeks when I on my own it's depressing hun hugs to ya I know I was meant to ave a job by now and be living but the problems that come from This condition it's set me Bk what helped me was talking to ppl and searching on line about it and the simular problems like ME and some others this helped me to understand what I was going through and made me realise what my body had been going through all these years amongst other issues my advice is to learn about it and keep ur doc updated with ur symptoms and try everything but don't suffer in silence xxx
calipsopink
UKFM Newbie

Postby Paula200 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:40 pm

I found it really hard to believe it was happening but as dee28 said very relieved it wasn't in my head and I wasn't lazy. I found it very hard to tell people including family and got some strange reactions but I have found the more people I tell the more I am finding someone they know has it so people are a bit more understanding. I don't want to be treated differently I just want some understanding. 20 years on still have my moments but dealing with it gets better.

I hope your new Dr is better that can make a real difference good luck xxx
Paula200
UKFM Member

Postby maxinevalentina » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:44 pm

I was diagnosed in December 2013 so not long a go I'm 21
And I have got my head round it ish but it's normal to feel like that
Talking to friends really helped me but I still feel like everyday is hard
I cry a lot I get angry but coming on here talking to everyone really helps me just to feel a lil more normal
Remember ur never alone we are all here to help
Big hugs =)
you'll never know how strong you are untill being strong is the only choice you have
maxinevalentina
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:54 pm

I don't think there's many ppl glad to hear the news of fibro,even when you at last have a name for your probs the relief is short lived.there will come a point u stamp your feet and have a good cry but everyone copes in there own way.life never did come with a rule book.xxxxx
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby JDWench » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:09 pm

I was so relieved that someone believed me because I just assumed it was my jhs getting worse but no one would help. I didn't expect the rheumatologist to diagnose fibro and was so happy, that was a few weeks ago and over time I've become increasingly depressed at the thought of living with this for the rest of my life. I'm 25 and feel like I have a terminal illness I'm not lucky to die from that nobody understands.
Help me raise money for Reach http://www.justgiving.com/Sadie-Scott1
JDWench
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:22 pm

When i was diagnosed there was very little information and my GP said all would be ok and i wouldnt get worse and be dibilitated :roll: so i concentrated my all on trying to get better :shock: :-? i suppose if i had of known back then how it would effect me then im sure i would have struggled to accept the diagnoses.

That was 10 years ago and now the doctors except fibro is a life sentance of pain and everything else that comes with it and i'll never forget my daughters GP's face when he read the rhumi consultant letter confirming she has fibro/cfs at 16years old... it showed horror/sympathy and he just knew this was going to be a huge impact on her life. I was more upset knowing she had been diagnosed then when i was as i was ablivious to it all back then.

I must admit i go by the day and dont look into the future, i suppose to protect myself from the depression and focus on keeping myself as well as can be (very hard i know)

Being here and making lots of fibro friends has extremely helped me and iv had a rough ride like many of you but i find that having such friends keeps me going :-)
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Kiara » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:51 pm

I was diagnosed 3 years ago, and even today i still find it so hard to accept , i keep hoping i'll get well again and have my life back then reality kicks in. But we have to try to stay positive don't we. It sounds like you may need anti depressants or if you are on them just now you may need the dose increased. I feel for you, but having people to talk to does help and i've found this site very helpful. Gentle Hugs xx
Kiara
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:20 pm

It takes time to accept your dx, how long it takes depends on the person. For me, symptoms began emerging 14 years ago, it was 4 years after that I was given my FM dx, but it wasn't until 4 years after being dx that I was really able to acknowledge that it is part of me, and that only came about after a number of counselling and therapy sessions after I had hit my absolute zero, lowest point.

To deal with it, I've found it easier to put a physical image to FM and it's little tag~alongs, and my health in general, as well as a name. And when discussing it, I describe it as there being a somewhat uneasy truce between the 2 of us when things are relatively calm, then when things are flaring, I liken them to a tantrum being thrown inside my body.

It sounds a bit daft when reading it back, but it helps me manage things that bit better than I did previously.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Amberk » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:19 am

I found my diagnosis for fibro extremely hard too. But over time i came to accept it. It took some time as i am borderline bi-polar and sank into a deep depression, but i have to cope as best i can as i have two children and now have a grandson. What i do struggle with is how some 'friends' are with me. As the illness is hard to understand i find they don't seem to want to listen. There is on in particular who is not interested at all. She doesn't listen or seem to believe, as some doctors have the mind set that it is 'all in our heads'! She is the same, tbh i don't know why i bother with her. So as I'm rambling I'll leave it there but it would be nice to chat to some people who are in the same,situation as me. Hope to hear from you?
Amberk
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:50 pm

Sadly there are a number of people who, no matter how hard we try, can't/won't/don't want to try and understand or believe in something like FM, preferring to ignore or disregard the possibility, no matter how much we try and tell them, or how ill we may be in front of them.

I've spent many, many wasted hours trying to get them to at least acknowledge that something like FM could be a slight possibility, but to no avail :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

These days, with my reserves being so low and precious too me, if someone wants to disregard FM, I don't try and get them to understand for a second time. It's a case of strike one and they're out as there are those around me who take me as I am, warts, pawleynesses and all :girl_moon: :girl_moon: :girl_moon:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Andyp » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:03 pm

Thank you for your comments etc.
Andyp
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia