Fibro beginning of MS?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Fibro beginning of MS?

Postby *karina* » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:24 am

Is it possible that Fibromyalgia is the begining of Multiple Sclerosis (MS)? Are any of you got these symptoms of MS :arrow:
Or is it possible to have both? Is there is anyone who got both??? I am not sure if I was misdiagnosed!

Bowel: Constipation is more common in MS than bowel incontinence. The two can be linked, but people who have constipation will not necessarily go on to develop a problem with incontinence, or vice versa.

Balance, Walking, Dizziness: Symptoms might mean you are wobbly on your feet from time to time, or you might need to move with more care than before to avoid losing balance.

Bladder: Symptoms of a urinary tract infections can be very similar to bladder problems caused directly by MS, needing to go very frequently for example.

Eyes: Optic neuritis is the name for inflammation of the optic nerve. This is the nerve that carries messages from the eye to the brain. The effect it can have on your sight varies, from blurred vision to complete loss of sight.

Fatigue: Fatigue in MS is not just an ordinary tiredness, like you might get at the end of a hard day's work. It's as an overwhelming sense of tiredness that often occurs after very little activity. Fatigue affects people in different ways, and it may change daily or hourly. This can make it complicated to explain your fatigue to others.

Memory: "Cognition" refers to memory and thinking. MS most commonly affects remembering recent events and remembering to do things. Problem solving and word finding may also be difficult on occasion. It can be frightening to feel that you don't have a grip on things that used to come more easily, but cognitive problems can also be affected by other things, including stress, fatigue and relapses.

Mental health: Many people may loosely use the word 'depression' to describe short periods of feeling down, but clinical depression is something more severe. Perhaps 50 per cent of people with MS experience this more serious depression at some point. Depression is often misunderstood, so people affected might not get a diagnosis or treatment.

Pain: Pain can be one of the most difficult ’invisible’ symptoms to describe. Pain might feel like squeezing, crushing, cold, hot, stabbing or burning, or a tightness in the chest known as the MS hug. Only the person experiencing pain knows how it feels. It has an emotional element – it can cause distress, fear, anger and frustration which in turn affect how you deal with it.

Sexual problems: MS nerve damage can affect female sexual function. Around 50 to 80 per cent of women with MS will experience some degree of sexual dysfunction at some stage during the course of their MS. Women with MS may have problems including loss of sex drive and problems achieving orgasm.

Spasms & Stiffness: Muscle spasms or stiffness affect at least 20 per cent of people with MS at some time. Like all MS symptoms, spasms and stiffness affect people differently and can vary over time.

Speech: Speech difficulties of some kind affect between 40 and 50 per cent of people with MS. Not everyone is aware that MS can cause this problem, and can make assumptions about why your speech is affected. Some people feel uncomfortable in social situations because of their speech difficulties. Other people’s assumptions can sometimes cause embarrassment.

Swallowing: MS can cause swallowing difficulties if there is damage to any part of the brain that controls swallowing, or damage to the connections between the brain and the spinal cord (the ‘brainstem’). Just like any other symptom of MS, swallowing difficulties may come and go. Temporary changes in swallowing can happen during a relapse and improve, or disappear completely, over time. For others, swallowing can become more difficult in the long term.

Tremor: Tremor may be experienced as small, shaking movements or as larger movements. If tremor develops, it tends to be some years after people’s first symptom of MS, typically between five and 15 years. There are two kinds of tremor - intention tremor (that comes on when you want to reach for something) and postural tremor - when you have a tremor as you sit or stand.
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Edited title to make topic subject clearer.
*karina*
UKFM Member

Re: Fibro beginning of MS?

Postby Ploppy » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:16 am

Fibro is very close to MS in every way. I was diagnosed at Christmas but awaiting results for MRI to see if it is MS as I have also had sleep paralysis and numb patches on face. Did you have an MRI?
Ploppy
UKFM Member

Postby juliem » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:07 am

I too was checked for MS. For the last 10 years every so often I've had "issues" with my hands. Just don't work or numb and pins and needles. I rang the doctor to say I couldn't tie a shoelace so I was referred. The neurologist wasn't great. I was given an MRI and told I have a tremor but no MS. He lumps Fibro and ME all together which upset me as they are distinct. Came home from the visit in tears. I'd never had a doctor be so scathing about fibro. I was diagnosed with Fibro by a doctor and I'd never heard of it and have only ever had supportive, if sometimes clueless, doctors. However when the neurologist wrote my official diagnosis he concluded it was part of my Fibro and was actually very nice.

But I still wonder. Maybe it is all Fibro but some of my symptoms are so MS like. In the US I've read some people feel Fibro is like MS and if you look at the treatment and understanding of MS 50 years ago it was similar to Fibro now. People didn't really get it unless the symptoms were severe. I think few realise MS can be mild for much of the time.

I do think Fibro needs to move from rheumy to neurology though.
juliem
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:41 am

I had a MRI brain scan for MS but it was clear. The difference MS leaves a trail of damage through your body whereas FMS only mimics the symptoms but leaves no damage.

When i had the scan they were also checking for a stroke as i have a marked, which means others can see it, left sided weakness.
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:42 pm

FM and MS share a number of overlapping symptoms and problems. As you can see from the ones you have listed, they can be attributed to both conditions, and most people tend t experience pretty much all of them at some point along the way.

Asking Dr Googley, there doesn't seem to be any sort of linky to suggest that FM may be the beginning of MS (so far.) It is possible to have both conditions together, just as it possible to have other conditions along side FM, such as CFS.

If you are unsure about your dx, the first thing you need to do is raise your concerns with your GP. Compiling details of why you think FM may not be what you are experiencing, and possibilities of what you feel it may point to, would be helpful for both you and your GP so they have as good an overall image as possible to try and answer your questions.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby painprincess1 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:25 pm

Try not to panic ,fibro as already said will mimic MS. And my dr told me he would know if I had ms and I don't present it in anyway I guess having faith in your dr is very Important ,but like u and many many others MS is one of the first things we think we got and we truly believe that's what it is it feels so bad. If your not happy tell your dr so I'm sure he or she will put your mind at rest x
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby fibrogirl90 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:37 pm

Fibro and ms do have similar symptoms so docs should rule out ms to get a diagnosis of fibromyalgia syndrome. But i do know a lady who was diagnosed with fibro and 7 years later diagnosed with ms. I think a lot is still not known enough about fibro and theres apparentely research going on. When i got my life insurance they took off 41 grand due to my fibro. When i questioned their medical team stating fibro is not life threatening even though it is life disabling i was told not enough is known about the condition to prove this.
fibrogirl90
UKFM Newbie

Postby chuckles166 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:34 pm

It was actually a neurologist who suspected that It could be fibromyalgia after being told I don't have ms. A lot of the fms symptoms overlap ms symptoms. One of my symptoms that is the same as ms is my right leg gives in, also concentration/cognitive problems but I have had a lot of them since I was a child so don't know any different lol.
chuckles166
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:00 pm

With those symptoms above i could easily tick most of them :shock: i have not mentioned MS to my GP as the thought of going in an MRI machine again frightens the living daylights outta me :yikes: so i shall plod on unless something else appears :crazy: as i know symptoms do mimick that of fibro.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby loverliesgal » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:40 pm

I can tick all those symptoms and a lot more . . . . however there is a lot of research taking place to see if there is a link between the two. Also a really good place to find advice look up functional neurological symptoms/syndrome. It will take you to a website that an Edinburgh neurologist hosts, its very informative, and shows how ME CFS and Fibro are linked yet separate, there is a lot of reading, and I think a lot of neurologists will give a fibro diagnosis. A friend of mine had the MS diagnosis and this was changed to fibro after.

I have the diagnosis for fibro, and my GP asked if I wanted to have all the tests for MS, lumar pucture MRI of Brain and Spine.. . I declined as she pointed out her treat for both is identical, and its easier to live thinking Fibro than MS
loverliesgal
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:19 pm

Most of us have had MRI scans to rule out MS, we had a member on here a long time ago who had had FM for many years and then the diagnosis was reviewed and she had MS not FM so I personally would say quite confidently that all the info I have ever seen has never connected the two except to say the symptoms are very similar and one must be ruled out before diagnosis of the other
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Karou » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:51 am

Hi,

I've always worried about MRI scans but luckily the mobile units I went to were quite spacious and I could even bring my own CD to listen to. The technology behind it fascinates me and even though I'm not very good at understanding it all, I've had a look at different models lol
That's how I found this: http://www.uprightmri.co.uk/

Not sure what the requirements are but I think it's good to know that these do exist and nervous patients can be scanned to rule out things like MS.

I've never thought about Fibro and how close it seems to MS but I could tick most boxes without hesitating. :-? Having said that, I have to add that it works for other conditions too. I agree with painprincess, your doctor shouldbe able to reassure you about your diagnosis. If you're worried about how to say it, maybe you could write it down? It has helped me a few times and while I didn't want them to feel I didn't trust them, I still had to find answers (I worried about AS).

Hope you can get the answers you need so you can feel reassured.
Gentle :hugs: :hugs: , Karou

“Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.” - Brimstone
Karou
UKFM Member

Postby Tel1 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:55 pm

Hi All...

Regarding what you are saying about Fibro and MS.... I took was getting horrible symptoms and although I knew that Fibro and MS
were kind of the same in many ways, I was dreading that perhaps I had both.... I too was scared to death of going in an MRI scanner,
in fact I had chickened out of it 3 times in the past, but the day I had to go for a MRI Brain scan I just thought, that I just must go
through with this even though I knew that my head had to go in it as that was what they were looking into....however once I was actually in there, I wasn't that bothered... I wanted to get out of it for sure, but it wasn't as bad as I actually thought.
I went from a rheumatologist from the Fibro and then a few months later I made my GP send me to a Neurologist who said that I
didn't need an MRI of my brain, but I could have one if I wanted it....so I did:)) He also told me that people with Fibro, their brains don't work properly and process things a lot differently than normal people... I said to him what he mean by * normal* people!! he said well, although I am normal, I am actually not normal regarding how my brain works regarding how all the symptoms are processed which is why we have Fibro.... * so they say:)* But yes, going back to what you have mentioned about FM being like MS yes it really does make you feel as though you are going mad sometimes as a different symptom can appear everyday.. and people like us can think... oh no, what's this? I haven't have this before... oh god it's MS.....I know exactly what you are thinking and feeling,,, you're not alone:))
So don't worry.. .well try not to.... I know I know:)) I am the worlds worse worrier , but I thought I would let you know that I think the same as you:))
Tel1
UKFM Member

Postby *karina* » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:11 am

So pleased to read all your comments!

Me too have all these symptoms of MS, scared to ask my GP as I am scared to receive positive answer. I shell get myself ready first and then will ask for MRI scan, if I need one, just to be on the safe side.

Thank you so much!!!

xxx :cow-wave:
*karina*
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia