I sound drunk

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

I sound drunk

Postby painprincess1 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:01 am

Ok my mum is in a panic ,as I have a new and delightful sensation to add to my list.i lose the power of speech ,not only that but I sutter and find it hard to get any words out,my family are worried it's not fibro and something worse.i on the only hand I'm sure it's fibro as I just all of a sudden get sick feel ill and bang can't talk.i guess I'm writing this for them more then anything so they can see it's not just me .xx
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Re: I sound drunk

Postby Michelleg123 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:13 am

It's not just you, this happens to me too along with the memory loss too. I think it's all the medication x
Michelleg123
UKFM Member

Postby Emmarella81 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:18 am

I had this when I was on Pregabalin 100mg three times a day! I sounded awful!
Emmarella81
UKFM Newbie

Postby wheelz_of_fire » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:19 am

Feeling ill and not being able to talk is like your energy battery going flat and is a normal part of FM. Rest, rest, rest! :-)
wheelz_of_fire
UKFM Member

Postby helen w » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:26 am

Me too!
Sometimes parts of my face feel numb and tingly and I know I am slurring but can't help it.
I too keep getting new symptoms, which surprises me as didn't think there was anything possibly left that I haven't already got!!
The latest one being on waking my whole body was in spasm and I couldn't move. I get spasms in various places but never my WHOLE body. Thought I had had a stroke....very frightening, but alas it seems it was fibro.
It really helps coming onto this forum and knowing there is support out there. So :-D when you can, :sleep: when you have to and when all else fails :crazy: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
helen w
UKFM Member

Postby cj72 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:30 am

Hi I'm the same its awful it gets worse when I'm tired or stressed I went to doctors she done some tests nd sent me to sit out in waiting room then said I would get a call from hospital the next morning it was worse so phoned doc she said I would get a call from hospital they said I had to go up in hour went there they done bloods nd asked lots of questions no one would say wat was going on
I asked the nurse to be told that they thought I had a stroke I nearly fell off the bed.i was sent home to wait for neuroligist appointment seen him a year later to be told that my brain is turning things off because I'm in too much pain now its worse than ever but dont have anymore answers its frightening when it first happens but everyone around me is aware of it nd help me ie with talking to people I don't know nd getting me to rest sorry for long reply
cj72
UKFM Newbie

Postby whoami » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:50 am

It sounds like some of us have the same feelings at times. However, you know how it goes. Any new symptom you should get checked, it could possibly be something else. We should never assume everything new is fibro. As I have said before, I have shrugged things off to fibro and it was something very serious.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Zeberdi » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:17 pm

Some one says something and it sparks a memory, fires into other things and hey presto another piece of the puzzel comes together.

I have times where I just shut down. Totally. Panic and stress have been blamed. This post reminded me of when I was a child, about 13, and I had an episode where I lost my memory. A whole week - got all but 24 hours back after a while. The theory was that I had such a severe migraine that i simply blocked everything out.

I was often ill, achey and tired growing up and made to feel like a whimp. From things I have read and learned recently it seems I have had fibro a lot longer than even I thought.

I often 'forget' things and seem to come round half way through a conversation. Speech can be difficult and I am not aware of when I simply can't speak because everything shuts down.

It seems odd for this to be 'normal' but it does seem as if it is a part of this illness.

I have only just started to look into my own illness. After years of the doctors telling my it was in my head or simply shrugging and not having any answers I just lived with it. It has gotten worse, much worse and when you know all the stress I have had it is no suprise. I did loads to helo my husband when he had cancer but have only just got myself together enough to look for myself. I am finding out loads and even some supplements and other stuff to try and help myself.

IF ONLY our families would soend the time to look up and read up on what can happen to people with this illness. It has far more impact coming from study groups, doctors and others than just what we say. I have been labled a useless drunk by my own sister and totally at fault for what happens to me. Hey ho.

I agree, get the Doctors to check it out but simply hearing that others have this, that it is 'normal' takes some of the fear and loneliness away from the symptoms. Thank havens for groups like this.
Zeberdi
UKFM Member

Postby DebiP10 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:35 pm

I am so glad this isnt just happening to me. My husband and son find it quite amusing when i start slurring as if im drunk or totally cant get the words out and say them wrong. It is very frustrating and i find this was happening when im in a lot of pain and really tired but recently it happens anytime, even when pain level is bearable. :crazy:
DebiP10
UKFM Member

Postby mjb2103 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:20 pm

I am sure its to do with the meds. I agree with previous post not everything is down to fibro. All your symptoms are side effects. The other day i met a person who was taking so many neuropathic and opiate based pain killers that they disguised the pain of an aortic aneurysm, if it were not for the doctors she would now be dead!!
mjb2103
UKFM Newbie

Postby Kiara » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:11 pm

I suffer from the same symptoms as well as memory loss including forgetfulness :(
Kiara
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:22 pm

mjb2103 wrote:I am sure its to do with the meds. I agree with previous post not everything is down to fibro. All your symptoms are side effects. The other day i met a person who was taking so many neuropathic and opiate based pain killers that they disguised the pain of an aortic aneurysm, if it were not for the doctors she would now be dead!!

I thought it was just the fibro again...no! ......four days after new symptoms, I went to the Dr's...As soon as the Dr walked in and saw me he said, Lorraine you have had a stroke, he could tell by looking at me. ...I spent almost 3 weeks in hospital. Lost 24lbs in that time.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby painprincess1 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:25 pm

My med have been the sames for over 6 months as I've not yet upped anything so I don't believe it them in anyway.xx
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby carli34 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:09 pm

For me this is the most embarrassing symptom I have I know it's nothing to do with meds as I don't take any anymore and still suffer with slurring and stammering speech especially when I'm in a position I'm not completely comfortable :( but I'm trying to learn not to let it bother me as hard as that is :( I do find that if I really concentrate on what I want to say and say it slower then I normally talk it's not as bad
carli34
UKFM Newbie

Postby atko64 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:31 am

I have the same symptoms so you are not alone. Had all sorts of tests and it's fibro. I know it can get scarey , It's horrible if you are out with company and it happens. I just carry on as normal the best I can. There seem to be so many symptoms with fibro it's unreal but hey ho we gotta keep going x
atko64
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia