Walking stick :(

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Walking stick :(

Postby tabithakat64 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:05 pm

Last week on the recommendation of my physio I purchased a walking stick, it's foldupable and sparrkly lilac with a grippy handle). Have been using it around the house and village but not been brave enough to take it to work yet - can't face the questions etc especially as I don't need it all the time.

Ended up having Monday and Tuesday off as my walking and balance was horrible and I couldn't have managed without it.

Fell over in my pilates class last week too :(

Although I need more practice using it, it does without a doubt help.

I worry that using it will mean I need to use it more though and part of me is ashamed too.

For those of you that don't know I have suffered with ME since I was a teenager, so half my life and have had fibromyalgia for around 3 years.
tabithakat64
UKFM Member

Re: Walking stick :(

Postby Theresa34 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:31 pm

Why would you feel ashamed hun? No need to be. I bought myself a nice walking stick last year. I was 33 and obviously felt too young to need it. I dont use it everyday but sometimes I need to when walking the kids to school or home. Its there to help make your life a little easier. Dont ever feel ashamed x There are times when I feel a little odd using it but at the end of the day, I do need it. I havent had many questions but when I have, its concern on what I did to myself. I then quickly explain that I have arthritis although it seems it may have been the then undiagnosed fibro causing my pain x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Revjan » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:31 pm

I have been using a stick for 3 years now and wouldn't be without it. It has saved me from many a fall and enables me to walk just that little bit further. Like you I was embarrassed at first. I was only 44 and felt like a pensioner! But you soon get used to it and it becomes part of you and you don't think about it.
Don't worry what others think. If it helps then use it. Yes, there will be questions but once they've been asked and answered people will soon get used to seeing you with the stick and they won't bother about it. Good luck!
Revjan
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:36 pm

I've borrowed one and used it once when I was having a hellish day with my hip but knew I was going to be on my feet for several hours. Nobody commented, nobody looked at me funny, and frankly if they had, I'd've stuck my tongue out. Use it if you need it.

I'm one of the more physically active/mild case folk on here, so seriously, if I can use one, no reason why you shouldn't.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby Garyl » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:45 pm

tabithakat64 i have been using walking aids for 5 years now started with one stick and have progressed to a 3 wheeled walker, the later i have to say gives me more confidence getting around.

I do not feel embarassed as i thought i might have is just due to walking problems i have to do so. What amazes me is your physio did not offer you a walking stick i was given my first by a friend whose husband no longer needed it as he was in a wheel chair. I have had about 5 rubber tips for it,

But now i use a walker i rarely use stick other then to go from my flat to rubbish shute or getting up at night to use Loo although i have reduced my fluid intake from 7pm till i go to bed.

i will advocate if you are told you need a stick use it do not be afraid. is a lot better to be supported when walking then picking yourself up from the pavement, saying that i will never forget when i fell once and a young male stepped over me and carried on his way, was a elderly woman that got me assistance to get back up, first time i have had two women pick me up in years lol :) when that occured.

My advice is follow what a physio or doctor advises
Garyl
UKFM Member

Postby Purpledots30 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:53 pm

Don't be ashamed by using a stick at work. I use mine when needed it's more the stares from the older generation that gets to me. You will be fine x
Purpledots30
UKFM Newbie

Postby cj72 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:22 pm

Hi don't be embarrassedabout using it if been using one for three years( since I was 37) I started off with a black one then had different ones until I got one of the wood old fashion ones I painted it bright pink nd covered it with glitter I have bought another wood one nd on good day I painted it with pink nd glitter but in a diamond pattern lots of people comment and ask me about them them when I tell them I have fibro they are shocked and even feel sorry for me so now I tell them I slipped two discs nd have problems after that nd have fibro nd other problems I would always suggest to someone to get a stick or anything to help I bought a wheelchair as I was struggling but was so embarrassed when I had to use it but I have to say my family nd friends have been so help full hope you get out there nd show people you don't care if you have to use any aids its better to use it than struggle :-D
cj72
UKFM Newbie

Postby Iceman13 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:15 pm

Ive got my Mum's Walking stick that she used when she was alive, Ive had it for nearly 3 yrs now and i cant walk without very well. balance and all that!! :-) X
Iceman13
UKFM Member

Postby skistar » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:56 pm

Hi tabithakat64,

I too was advised to use a walking stick by my physio and although that was nearly 3 years ago, I too finding it embarrassing to use, I was simply terrified of what it was to be a stick user- despite very much needing it. I also hid it and continue to struggle with being totally proud of using it but I found buying a stick I was going to be proud to be seen with was a huge thing for me, I search for a funky brightly coloured one and discovered switch-sticks.

You are doing the right thing, build up your confidence using it around the house, my first trip out, we went to a supermarket that wasn't local- as I didn't want to bump into anyone and have to answer questions. But I figured venturing out with my other half under the anonymity of being just another shopper helped, I realised people care very little about me and my stick, unless I knock them with it! If anything I have found as I have learnt to handle it, dropped it etc the public are a very lovely bunch of people :mrgreen:

I remember the first time I took my stick to work, I was beyond nervous but kept reminding myself I would rather use a stick than fall on my backside in front of them because of it, don't get me wrong it was and continues to be one of the hardest things I find about adapting to my new life. But I use it as and when I need it, with that the fear attached to my embarrassment has eased considerably, I have found my embarrassment can often be due to how I feel others will perceive me, what opinions they will make of me, will they think I am "attention seeking" etc

Keep practicing and know you are not alone, be proud of your sparkly stick and know you need it for right now. Take each day one at a time, it's okay to find this stuff overwhelming and a shock to the system but we are here to help you muddle through

Love skistar xxx
skistar
UKFM Newbie

Postby reptigirl12 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:11 pm

Hi i am new here to, i have been using a walking stick and crutches the last year as my walking is not very good i have days when my legs dont feel like the belong to me and i trip alot and the pain i have in my knees, hips and ankles is awfull it wakes me in the night and if i have to get up in the night i have to steady myself so i don't fall over, i have had fybro for about six years know and things just go up and down and when i get flare ups im on the sette and cannot walk. I dont know if anyone suffers from nausea alot but it really puts your appetite on a real low. :(
reptigirl12
UKFM Newbie

Postby mugshot66 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:21 pm

Hi Tabitha,

understand where you are coming from. Your post reminded me of when I decided to 'come out' at work as a stick user. When I finally made my mind up that I would use it I sent an email out to my immediate team mates just before I finished for the day. Explained that, as they know, I sometimes have problems walking, that I had been using a stick in my own time and now find that I will also be using it at work. The reason for the email is that I do not want it to become 'a thing'. I came into work the next day and it was not 'a thing'! Yes, in time others asked why I used a stick (nosey beggars), but by then I could cope with the questions.
nothing to be embarrassed about at all, no shame in using any walking aid if, and a when, we need to. Does not make us someone else. It makes us...us but with something big to hit someone with...joke! Don't hit anyone with your stick..its a waste of stick...and then...with fibro..you'd need to rest up for days following the sudden burst of energy anyway! :crazy:
take care
Debbie x
mugshot66
UKFM Newbie

Postby daddyvic » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:53 pm

Hi I started using a stick about a year ago and felt embarrassed but everyone understood as they had seen the difficulties I had. I then had to start using 2 crutches as I also have impingement of both hips and arthritis. Last week I had to use a wheelchair at work as I couldn't hold my self up on the crutches. I am only 37 and this was/is a big psychological hurdle, but as others have said it is better than falling.
Don't worry what others think, if you need it use it.
daddyvic
UKFM Member

Postby MikH-D » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:58 pm

I know how you feel, I should/could really do with one, I'm lucky that my lil girls is still young so I use her pushchair as a walking aid for now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MikH-D
UKFM Member

Postby Eltham girl » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:12 pm

I struggled with bringing my stick into my life but a) Igoogled famous people with sticks - did you know Louis xiv had one encrusted with ddiamonds!! I aspire to that! I make a joke of it. Plus there'snothing like it for helping me get a seat on the tube :-) :-D
Eltham girl
UKFM Newbie

Postby Librarychick » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:41 pm

You have to do what's right for you. I work in a secondary school and I was really worried aBout using a stick. I worried about how the students would perceive me. In fact it was the best thing I did because they now see I need a bit extra sometimes. It is also brilliant walking around in public. The obvious things like I don't fall over so much and I feel so much more stable but I find car drivers are more patient with me crossing the road and if they see me with my stick are more likely to gesture me across. I always give them a cheery wave because I want them to do it for the next person too.
Take care and look after yourself.
X
Librarychick
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia