Chest Pain

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Chest Pain

Postby Butterfly8588 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:46 am

Hi everyone,
looking for some advice please if anyone can. I'm sorry if I dont explain myself very well, I'm just really tired.
basically back in early November I had a chest infection. Had two lots of anti biotics and eventually it cleared up but its left me with worse asthma and near constant chest pain to varying degrees. sometimes its so painful I feel like I cant breathe. its usually dead centre of my chest but the pain goes into my throat and down between my breasts. its a heavy squeezing pain and it aches so bad I just dont know what to do with myself.
ive been to the dr 3 times and they think the chest infection has caused inflammation in my chest and triggered my asthma to get out of control. asthmas being dealt with but the chest pain just gets worse. I keep feeling like I'm breathing round a huge lump in my chest.
is any of this sounding familiar? I'm not worried its a heart attack or anything, I'm certain I'd be dead by now if it was. I had chest problems back in the summer which was put down to fibro. I have heart problems but they've never bothered me before in this way and the drs arent worried.
if you need me to clarify anything just ask and I will. thank you for your time.

take care xx
I'm the ghost of a girl that I want to be most, I'm the shell of a girl that I used to know well.
Butterfly8588
UKFM Member

Re: Chest Pain

Postby ladybeck66 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:49 am

Hi Hun

I suffer with the same kind of pain. Was diagnosed last year with Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy, which is just a thickening of the wall of the heart. I get the crushing pain in the center of my chest, it moves up my neck and down my arms, sometimes it really scares me, my doctor says I should not worry.

I also wake all the time with it and feeling out of breath with my heart beating very fast. I am under the impression that this isn't caused by the Fibro, but I'd be interested to find out how many other's we find with this??

Do you take pain medication

Best wishes
Rebecca
ladybeck66
UKFM Newbie

Postby zappa20 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:56 am

If your GP gave you something to deal with your asthma thinking it would fix the chest pain and after a week or two of being on it, it's not any better , think the best thing to do is to go back to see your GP.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby Butterfly8588 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:50 pm

Hi guys,
Thank you for replying. The last time i went to the dr was literally Tuesday so i was checked recently. I wasnt entirely convinced what i had was my asthma coming back strong because my inhalers didnt seem to help it very much and infact holding my breath was making my chest pain really bad and making me feel very dizzy. It also didnt 'feel' right. However i did have that god awful whistling noise at the back of my throat which is usual for asthma.
Dr gave me a stronger steroid inhaler to take once in the morning and once in the evening and it seems to have stopped the noise, just not the pain. The pain isnt so bad in the morning but it builds throughout the day and night times are dreadful. Every movement and every breath makes it worse and resting my seatbelt against it is awful. This makes me think muscular but i just dont know.
I've got a heart check up coming up next month cos i have aortic stenosis and a leaky heart valve which causes a murmur. I'm really worried cos having one of those ultra sound tests on my heart is so painful for me normally and if they do it this time im worried i wont be able to take it. Last years left me with pain in that area for a few weeks.
I've never heard of Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy ladybeck, that sounds awful and very scary! I'll scare myself later and google it but to be honest i think i would be a very unlucky person to have that as well. I think it's probably just inflammation as the dr said but its so bad sometimes i just dont know what to do about it. Is it treatable for you?
I dont take any pain medication every day. At the beginning i was on every pain killer i was offered and was taking about 20 tabs a day. I lost huge parts of 2009 to side effects and i just decided I'd had enough so i stopped them all. I decided I'd rather live with the pain and actually know i was alive cos i was 21 at the time and i just couldnt have my life being so drug hazed. Besides which i was still in pain even with all that.
All i take every now and then is 30mg of codeine and 2 ibuprofen on the nights i just cant stand it. It usually rounds the edge off of the pain enough for me to deal with.
What are you on ladybeck if you dont mind me asking?

Take Care xxx
I'm the ghost of a girl that I want to be most, I'm the shell of a girl that I used to know well.
Butterfly8588
UKFM Member

Postby ladybeck66 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:42 pm

Hi again.

The heart thing doesn't worry me, it's not treatable, just maintaining it with other medication....so many tablets, it is just what it is, it's not going to kill me (if it doesn't kill me then don't worry).

I take Tramadol, Gabapentin, Targinact and Amytriptalin for the pain. I top up with paracetamol, they have stopped me taking anti inflammatory s because of side effects.
I am heartened by your strength to come off all the pain killers because I want to stop all mine because I am still in pain, problem is that I don't know how to do it.....bit scared also.
I am moving to live in Spain, I find that when I am over there my pain is much much less. So I need to not take so much meds and live my life to the fullest.

Life is for living and not just for surviving....so I am going to live

Rebecca
ladybeck66
UKFM Newbie

Postby Butterfly8588 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:54 pm

Hi Rebecca,
Thank you that was a lovely thing to say. I'm not sure its strength so much as stubbornness lol. I came off of all my tablets by myself but please dont do it my way, go to your dr and get a proper plan cos I suffered some awful side effects. I didnt go cold turkey, I just slowly reduced them. As I say though, go to your dr and try if you want to come off of them.
Just because you lower your tablets doesnt mean you cant start them again so just do what you want to do. We've all had enough things taken away from us without adding to it.
wow spain hey? I've never left England in my life but I really hope you find relief there. When are you moving?
Take care xx
Butterfly8588
UKFM Member

Postby pbeckitt » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:22 pm

I have been getting chest pains and have been told it is part of the fibro. I have now been given Coro-nitro pump spray which I use when I get chest pain and it has worked for me.
pbeckitt
UKFM Newbie

Postby Nikkijaynebrown » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:31 pm

I also suffer with chest pain which started December last year, I was taken to a&e to rule out a heart attack and was diagnosed with costochondritis which is inflammation in the chest. This condition is really painful and does give heart attack like symptoms, I have been told by my GP that the symptoms can last as long as 6 months and can be very debilitating but they can't seem to tell me much more than that. I have just recently been having the pain more in the centre of my chest which sometimes it feels like it's going through to my back also I do feel breathless at times and find that gets worse as the day goes on. I have had to wear a heart monitor for 5 days and it was found that every now and then my heart beats a beat early but have been told not to worry about it, but today it seems to have happened a few times as I feel like my heart is slightly racing and feel very full (if that makes sense) in the centre of my chest. I don't know if the heart beat thing is something to do with costochondritis as I have never noticed before and I find all my GP says when I ask her is it could be which really dosnt help me. All I have been told is to take paracetamol for the chest pain and that's it. I have also asked if I could see a consultant about the costochondritis as they may be able to answer my questions only to be told the GP dosnt know who to refer me too! So really don't know where to go from here.
Nikkijaynebrown
UKFM Newbie

Postby Butterfly8588 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:21 pm

Hi nikki,
Thank you for posting this. Funnily enough a family member brought this up with me when I described my symptoms and I'm thinking it could be what I have. It says that it can be caused by a chest infection which is what I had in November and I have fibro and myofasical pain syndrome, both of which are mentioned.
I'm getting so tired of all these little spin off conditions, just when I think I know what to expect something moves the goal posts again and sends it all to hell again. The pains moving into my back as well now and sometimes I feel like I have to fight for every breath. Its so annoying though cos I know I can breathe but it feels like I cant.
Do you keep getting weird feelings in your chest? I keep getting heart palpitations and sometimes my chest just feels weird. Sometimes full and heavy and sometimes it feels hollow.

hi beckett,
Thank you for your post. Whats that spray meant to do then? I've never neard of it!

take care and thanks again for your posts xxx
Butterfly8588
UKFM Member

Postby Nikkijaynebrown » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:19 pm

Hi butterfly 8588
Since being diagnosed with costochondritis I have noticed I do get palpatations and as I said my heart beats a beat early every now and then, I get very breathless for no reason and just have some very strange feelings going on in my chest. I have joined another group which has a large secretion on costochondritis and it seems all of these symptoms are normal with this complaint but have got an appointment with my GP on Friday as going to ask to be referred back to rheumatology as my GP has told me costochondritis lasts up to 6 months but reading other peoples posts who have this problem they say once you have it you have it for life!! So hopefully by going back to a consultant I might get some definite answers, also a lot of people talk about going to the pain clinic and different medications they have tried for this condition which might help me but my GP just keeps telling me to take paracetamol so maybe the rheumatologist can refer me there too, fingers crossed. I would recommend going to your GP or if you are under a rheumatologist and speak to them as it does sound like you have costochondritis but it's always better to be checked by a doctor just to be on the safe side as I had to have ECG's, blood tests, chest x-Ray and wear a heart monitor for 5 days just to rule out any other problems. Take care and hope all goes well x
Nikkijaynebrown
UKFM Newbie

Postby marknico » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:32 pm

I to suffer with mainly severe chest pains - scares me as it gets very severe and mimics heart attack symptoms - my FM has got really bad over the last year and still struggling to find a doctor who acknowledges FM. Ive been off work for over a year and just getting through a normal day is challenging. Im on Paroxetine 20mg and Nortriptyline 25mg and also Lansoprazole 30mg daily none of these seem to help me much but the doc says stay on them. My chest pains are constant and seems to get worse with lifting\bending or any physical activity however small - ive had ecg`s - x-rays - 24 hor tapes - blood tests galore and they've assured me its not my heart .
Im only 44 and feel like im in my 80`s its horrible I cant enjoy life no more :0(

They sent me on anxiety and stress courses which was bloody useless and that's all they seem to think my illness is - they should try living with it for a day they`d soon moan - Doc even tells me to exercise are they taking the P*** that makes it worse in my case.
Going back docs tomorrow and going to tell them I want a proper diagnosis as a consultant for the fit for work team wrote and told my doc this over 2 years ago and it was the first I knew of it today not a happy bunny :0(

My other symptoms are - strange metallic taste seems to get worse with the pain - aches in arms - neck - severe chest pains - pins and needles in hands - low energy - tiredness even though I cant bloody sleep - joint aches - weight gain - shortness of breath luckily ive still got a bit of a sense of humour left :0) but its dwindling fast these days :0(

Would like to hear from others if this sounds like FM ?

Thanks Mark.......
marknico
UKFM Newbie

Postby Butterfly8588 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:03 pm

oh god nikki, I genuinely hope it doesnt last always! I'm not sure if I can take it! can you tell me the other site you're on please? I'd quite like to have a read.

hi mark,
from what you say it might be fibro, as I'm learning all the time, there are so many symptoms it makes my head spin. perhaps ask your dr to be referred to a pain clinic? that way you can ask them about fibro, that's how I did it anyway but it took me a lot of time to get my diagnosis.
I'm really sorry your suffering so badly, some drs just dont understand and even some people. it must be hard for them because externally there's nothing to look at and yet we're telling them we're in pain and suffering badly. I'm coming up 5 years of fibro next month (although not confirmed until around 2 years ago, maybe 3, I forget!) and I'm currently 25. I feel like it stole my life and I'm still angry about it however much I try not to be.
Go back to a dr and insist to be sent to the pain clinic, they're usually good at refering you to other places, I even was allowed to try acupuncture although it didnt work for me sadly. Now I largely stay away from drs and tablets unless I develop a new symptom because I'm sick of being mauled all the time.
I really hope you find someone to listen to you.

take care xxx
Butterfly8588
UKFM Member

Postby Nikkijaynebrown » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:20 pm

Hi butterfly 8588
The other site that I have used is called Fibrotalk Fibromyalgia it is an American site as far as I can see but if you put costochondritis into the forum search bar there's a lot on there about it and I have found it really interesting and helpful just reading other peoples symptoms, experiences etc as a lot of aches, pains etc that I have had so have others and I just find it so reassuring that it's not just me and that these are real and retaliated either to fibro or costo rather than another problem as I think they are more than enough without adding more xx
Nikkijaynebrown
UKFM Newbie

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia