What is a flare?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

What is a flare?

Postby Theresa34 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:32 am

I keep seeing people talking about flares, but I have no idea about them. Thing is, I am always tires, I am always in pain. How would i know if I was in a flare? I do usually feel worse at weekends but thats because I tend to lie in as dont need to get kids to school, so I dont take pain meds til later. So confused :crazy:
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Re: What is a flare?

Postby painprincess1 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:47 am

When we talk about a flare it means are pain got so bad we can't do what we normally do,everything hurt more and for some ppl knocks the. Off there feet for days at a time. Now some ppl a flare mean more pain and stiffness but there can still keep going it's very different from person to person.i have kids so like u I keep going and am in pain everyday, when I get a flare I feel like my skins is so sore I don't want to be touched I feel like I have flu and I can't talk well ,also I wanna sleep.so my flare is different to someone else who might get a bad back or painfull feet and a bad headache .in time u soon learn what a flare is for u.sadly we all get them at some point xxxx
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby fatalrazkaz » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:54 am

A flare is basically when your symptoms get worse for a period of time, and by worse I mean almost unbearable. You will know if you go into a flare. I have just had one, it meant I had to sleep during the day as I couldn't keep my eyes open, I felt like I had been hit by a bus even on painkillers, I also fell asleep on the sofa in the evenings. I could not do anything physical like housework as I was so exhausted. Its usually caused in me by me doing too much in one go. We are decorating the bathroom and I had removed all the tiles and the adhesive that was left on the walls and done a couple of other jobs as I was feeling quite well.....mistake!! A week later....Bam, it hit me like a sledgehammer. :crazy:
fatalrazkaz
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:57 am

I keep reading this as well and it does puzzle me. I get odd days here and there and sometimes several days when I'm just more tired/in pain than usual, but I don't recognise the descriptions as applying to me. In a bad phase I will do a bit less and go to bed earlier IF that's an option, if it isn't I will work through it and just suffer. So I can't say I have 'flares', just 'bad days'.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:06 am

Ok i understand now. I thought the flu feeling had gone because of the painkillers :-? Maybe it was a flare? Yesterday I noticed my skin started hurting so maybe getting a flare. I suppose I will learn as I go. I am only recently diagnosed. I know if I feel ok ish one day, I will try and do as much housework as I can and rest inbetween. Then for at least two days I can hardly function at all.
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Jenkins12 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:07 am

You are lucky not to have flares the are three severities of fibro and cfs , mild moderate and severe , mild may not have flare and be able to work with it .. Moderate and severe often have knock you off your feet flAres .x
Jenkins12
UKFM Newbie

Postby divingforPearls » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:13 am

Hi,
I can only offer my experience of a recent flare, and the lead up to it :

usually I 'manage' this disease - by having a very limited routine - I have 2 children but don't really work any more due to knee pain, hand pain, general aching all over and an inability to stand up for more than a minute or two/ walk for more than 10 mins at a time, as well as exhaustion and varying degrees of depression. I swim once a week, I did yoga once a fortnight, do the school runs, I do the housework and cook for everyone - OH bless him bought me a dishwasher for my 4oth birthday to limit my hand pain - highly recommended! However, 2 months ago I was asked if I would teach my childs class some yoga lessons, so I began to overdo my practice - from once a fortnight to every other day. This, combined with a mild car accident led to my first flare for some years...

First there was shoulder pain (which is still here 2 months later), from the over-exercise, this was swiftly followed by increased aching all over -(like the pain I used to get on the 1st day of my period years ago interestingly), and increased knee and hand pain, and massive tiredness; whereas usually I could 'potter' round the house, bit of hovering here, tidying up there, cooking, etc, I was completely confined to the sofa/bed, and going to the toilet was a challenge to get there. Dinner was jacket potatoes or something out of the freezer, or spaghetti, for a week...I was completely 'floor-ed' by it. This is what we get when we over-exercise!!!! This is what I get from upping my normal 40 swimming lengths to 60 lengths because I was feeling good! This is what I got when I took on something extra, the yoga class teaching - I think a combination of over doing it with the practice, and also the fear of the pain during the teaching session?

Although this flare up occurred 6 weeks ago, I am still not back to how I was before - I am scared really of doing yoga at all, if I go swimming I do no more than 30 lengths, I have not really walked much - and this lack now of exercise is making me depressed. The worst of the flare lasted a week, but it's taking months to really recover to where I was before. Of course, everyone is different.

So my advice, after all this, is KNOW YOUR LIMITS! PACE YOURSELF and DO NOT OVER-DO IT , even when you're feeling good!!!! I made the mistake of over-exercising. This is one of the key areas of fibromyalgia, what is it with our muscles? I should have been happy with what I could already do, I made the mistake of wanting more, but who wouldn't want more than this limited life??????? :cry:

Take it easy, enjoy what you've got.
divingforPearls
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:32 am

I guess I am a mild case, I've said that repeatedly on here, since I still live a normal life compared to most people on here, just a bit less energetic than it used to be.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:40 am

SchroedingersCat. I hope it stays that way for u xxxx
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:55 am

Thanks painprincess. I had an assessment from an Occy Health physio yesterday (work paid for it to make sure they're doing everything they can to support me, bless them - their idea, I didn't ask for it) and she was very complimentary about how I manage things and my general fitness and flexibility etc. Felt much better about myself after that :)
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia