Anyone tried the pain patch?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Anyone tried the pain patch?

Postby LoopyLou78 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:21 pm

Hi all, I was just wondering if anyone has been given the pain patch from their gp before, and if so did you find it helped with the pain at all?

He has prescribed me Buprenorphine Transerdermal patch saying that it is better than Tramadol and a bit less addictive.
Iv'e tried all the other painkillers and they didn't work or gave me bad side effects, he said this is the last thing to try.

Thanks to all, hope your all having a good day :)
LoopyLou78
UKFM Member

Re: Anyone tried the pain patch?

Postby sezzaden » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:37 pm

yes im on the fentanyl ones and swear by them still need to take other meds as well but they are def working for me but as others have said it hasnt for them its all trial and error to find what suits u x
sezzaden
UKFM Member

Postby LoopyLou78 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:51 pm

That's positive news then :)

He said the only other meds I can take with this is Paracetomol as its opent based....

I know it is all trial and error, Fingers crossed for me then!!

Thanks, glad your finding it helpfull :-)
LoopyLou78
UKFM Member

Postby Manxman » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:58 pm

Blinkin Heck....we seem to be at exactly the same stage with our Doctor.

I was put on the Butrans Transdermal Patch....Buprenorphine (5 microgram/hour)....ten days ago as a last resort. I've tried just about every other thing out there!!! After three days I put a second patch on as I saw no relief....and still haven't. Doctor said we can up the dosage to 10 or even 20 microgram/hour but I am quite wary. One of the other doctors at the surgery said that they can be quite addictive. I seem to have a very high resistance to tablets regarding the good that they are meant to do....but a very low tolerance towards all the side effects!!! Nothing is ever straight forward with me!!!

Touch wood....I haven't had really bad headaches and nausea with these yet but my wife mentioned today that I have been very quiet and withdrawn and a bit shaky and unsteady. I have noticed that I am starting to feel a bit down/depressed so I think I may have to stop using the patches. All you can do is give them a try but stay on your toes regarding the side effects....especially depression. Depression can be worse than any physical pain, and a lot more destructive for you and those around you. Don't mean to sound alarmist but I've been there, done that etc.

I'm lucky in that my chronic pain is caused by a bad back injury rather than just Fibromyalgia based....although I'm sure the Fibro is making it more severe. I am talking to my doctor in an hour and I'm going to stress to him that I want to try and treat the injury more, rather than just keep getting pain killers trying to mask it!!!

I hope you find something that works for you really soon.

Manxman
Manxman
UKFM Newbie

Postby sezzaden » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:07 pm

fentanyl is also opiate based but i can also take tramadol and paracetemol when needed which is steadily decreasing thankfully what i would say is more people i have spoken to find that the butrans patches cause skin problems but i had the same with the fentanyl to begin with just remember to stick it somewhere new each time i find it better rotating which shoulder blade it is on rather than the arms as the amount of people who asked if i was stopping smoking was a joke but then had to explain what it was and what for so now its out of sight good luck
sezzaden
UKFM Member

Postby cj72 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:05 pm

i was on pain patches 25mcg they burnt/agrivated my skin so bad i had to get off them good luck with them
cj72
UKFM Newbie

Postby loverliesgal » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:45 pm

I have fentanyl in the cupboard, (for emergencies) but have butrans 10mcg/hr, they do help, especially as I am lacksadaisicle about remembering my pain killers, can take paracetamol with them, not totally pain free, I have to admit, and if not on back get really irritated with the glue (which I dont with fentanyl). GP on Friday to discuss increasing or going back on Fentanyl - I can drive with these, but not with the fentanyl. ARgggggghhhhh
loverliesgal
UKFM Member

Postby fruitloop » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:19 pm

Hi,
I've been on the butrans patch for a few years now and its really helped control the pain, and as a result my sleep. Still wake up shattered like, but no longer to the point of nausea.
I agree with what others have said about the effect on the skin though, need to be careful not to put it in the same place. The best thing is to have someone help put it on your back for you, and move it in 6 week cycle around the back. Towards the end of the week it can get very itchy, like an old plaster would with a healing wound underneath, but the relief pain wise is so worth it.
fruitloop
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:20 am

loverliesgal wrote:I have fentanyl in the cupboard, (for emergencies) but have butrans 10mcg/hr, they do help, especially as I am lacksadaisicle about remembering my pain killers, can take paracetamol with them, not totally pain free, I have to admit, and if not on back get really irritated with the glue (which I dont with fentanyl). GP on Friday to discuss increasing or going back on Fentanyl - I can drive with these, but not with the fentanyl. ARgggggghhhhh

I am curious about your Fentayl. You say you use it with the butrans for emergencies. I don't understand how your Dr has prescribed it. For Fentanyl to work properly , you must wear the patches continuously, not just on occasion. I also wonder what is it that makes you unable to drive?

I have been wearing Fentanyl 150mcg for almost 8 years. I kept saying 125 before because I got confused my other meds are 125 LOL.

For 25 years I have been taking meds for pain due to fibro. This is what works for me. It does not work for everyone.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby whoami » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:21 am

:oops: sorry double post
Last edited by whoami on Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby LoopyLou78 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:33 pm

Thanks to all of you for your replies. I guess I will just have to try and see how it works for me? seems Very hit and miss by all the comments that iv received from the FB link this site gave!! I didn't know it shared with fb!!! Was a bit surprised by all the 60 odd comments I received!! LOL!!! 0.0

It really seems to be as every body is different, so is how people respond differently to medicine's.....

It's gave me a good insight tho to side effects, how it works with some, not others... This site is sooooo usefu!!l I don't know what i'd do without it for advice!!!

Hugs to all you lovely strong people xx :flowers: :flowers:
LoopyLou78
UKFM Member

Postby Graciebaby » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:56 pm

I'm on Butrans patches (10's) and find them really helpful with my pain. The patches have reduced the pain in my hips quite considerably. Of course I use them with a combination of other meds as well.
I agree with others that they do irritate the skin, particularly towards the end of the 7 days, however I would prefer that every time rather than the pain!
What I would advise if you give them a try is to ensure that the patch always remains dry. It's rubbish that they stay on and remain dry when you shower. If the patch gets wet underneath it itches like mad and the skin remains damp and irritated. I always cover it in several layers of micropore plaster before a shower, even then the patch can become damp.
I've found that when the patch gets wet, it can "flood" the system with medication. Doctors would probably suggest that this isn't possible, but I know how I feel when it's happened and you are pretty much off your face :shock:

I think Butrans are certainly worth a try.
I'm hoping that I can reduce the dose some time in the future and drop down to 5's, but for the moment I'm happy to remain as I am......they work and that's all I'm bothered about :-)

G. x
Graciebaby
UKFM Member

Postby babymable » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:02 am

Hi, Due to bulging discs I was put on Butrans Patches, started at 5mg But I am now on 20 mg. I will be calling my pain clinic tomorrow as I still have no pain relief at all from it. When I get desperate I take Cocodamol 30's with the patches and only then does it take the edge of and even then it's only a little. But try it, as it works different for different people
babymable
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:15 am

I don't know about anyone else but I get confused when hearing about butrans and fentanyl.
They are both for pain, Butrans being an opiod schedule 111
Fentanyl an opiod schedule 11

Butrans patches were clinically shown to be 20 - 40 times stronger than morphine

................ Whereas ..............

Fentanyl is 100 times stronger than morphine and 750 times stronger than codeine, as well as 100's of times stronger than heroin

Butran patches have been used to help heroin users through withdrawal.

I understand that both patches are used for pain relief, Butrans for other things. I don't understand why some Dr's prescribe Butrans and some Fentanyl. I know you have to be taking a high dose of Opiods before taking Fentanyl.
Butrans seem to have a maximum dose, Fentanyl does not seem to even though it is stronger. I think that Butrins is 20 mcg/hr. I don't know what Fentanyl maximum dose is. I wear a 100 mcg/hr and a 50mcg/hr.

Does anyone else get confused with all these medications? Some of them seem to be the same thing but aren't. Also the different names from different countries. I would like to find a site that will tell me what the equivalents are. When I needed Tylenol 3 in England the thing I could find closest was paracetamol. Tylenol 3 is 300mg of acetaminophen and 30 mgs of codeine. If anyone knows of such a site could they post it please.
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby babymable » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:28 pm

Tyenol 3 is the same as Co Codamol 30mg
Tyenol 2 is the same as Co Codamol 15mg
Tyenol 1 is the same as Co Codamol 8mg
babymable
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia