Excess Saliva???

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Excess Saliva???

Postby Bellatrix18 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:29 am

Hello everyone,

I am awake when I should really be getting some sleep after a very busy day... but I can't sleep because I have to spit into a tissue every 30/45 seconds. My mouth is filling up with saliva constantly and if I swallow it I feel really sick. This has been going on for over a week now but is worse tonight. I've had this a couple of times before, but its usually when I've been ill in the past and hasn't lasted long. But I've been having a dreadful flare up this month, my IBS has been awful and I feel its connected...

I can't sleep because it gets worse when I lie down and I feel like I might choke. Plus I feel so sick because of it. I am finding it difficult to talk during the day because of this too. :-? Has anyone else experienced this?? If so, is there any way to stop it or relieve it at all. I feel like I'm going crazy.

Thanks in advance! xx
Bellatrix18
UKFM Newbie

Re: Excess Saliva???

Postby zappa20 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:33 am

Had this a few years ago and it was just horrible. In my case it was caused by excess stomach acid and my saliva glands were working overtime in an attempt to neutralise it. Was told I needed my gall bladder out not long after this incident but not sure if the 2 were related. It wasn't related to fibro either. .

My GP gave me Omeprazole which I think is an acid reducing medication. Could maybe try a couple of antacids or Gaviscon and see if it makes any difference, or a trip to GP is indicated.

Hope you get it fixed soon.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia