feeling down ...

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

feeling down ...

Postby Joanne C » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:12 pm

hey, i dont know where to start. i just feel really down. i cant work due to fibro, im virtually house bound - am able to look after my dad though who has been ill ... i just seem to be existing not living, and dont know how to change that. :'(
Joanne C
UKFM Member

Re: feeling down ...

Postby Lindilou » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:55 pm

Don't know what to say Joanne other than I feel exactly the same - have this useless body which wont let me do anything
Lindilou

Postby humphreys » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:43 pm

Oh Joanne, I do feel for you, I was the same when I was told I had Fibro, I do try and keep busy with little things, and I know when to stop, it won't bring me down I won't let it. I do work three full days with a lady with a stroke and brain injury, sounds silly but I just get on with it, and soooo look forwards to my weekends. Fibro has made me look forward to days off now, I appreciate them more. Just try doing little things, and when you've had enough, leave them for another time. We can't let this damm Fibro beet us, it thinks we can, but it's definately not making me feel bad all the time. Gentle hugs to you.
humphreys
UKFM Member

Postby Ria Landon » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:56 pm

I think we all get like that at times and I am so sorry you and other people are going through that now. Its just awful isn't it. I miss the old me and hate the impact this horrid disease has on my life. I'm a totally different me to the me I knew a few years ago. I lost my house, fancy cars, foreign holidays and my comfortable lifestyle to a life on benefits which I absolutely hate. I cannot drive or work anymore or go to the gym and swimming regularly like I used to so I've put on loads of weight. It has been a very humbling experience and shattering to come to terms with a life long illness like this (I also have rheumatoid arthritis) I also lost many friends and my social life is almost non existent but that's ok because what energy I do have is spent with my family and a few friends. My life has changed completely but we must never ever give up. we must never give up hoping things will get better for us. They will. they've just got to! I used to get terribly depressed and despondent about the future and I still get bad days but things have begun to get a little better now that I have learned to be kinder to myself. I used to get so angry with myself but have sort of forgiven my poor ol body now and am now much nicer to it!

I have also started trying other things like creative stuff. Painting was a complete disaster, jewelry making not so good, crochet was ok but it was sewing that I really fell in love with. I have now started making quilts for my grandchildren and some other bits and pieces which is quite remarkable considering I never even owned a sewing needle! but I have found a real love of sewing and creating new things from old. I'm going to attempt to make matching summer dresses for myself and my granddaughter in the next few weeks and because she is only 7 she thinks its all very wonderful that her nanny can make a dress. It may be a total disaster but she wont care! It may not seem much and it takes me a long time to finish things but it does make me feel that I have achieved something when I do get something finished. maybe I will be making a living from it one day. Well I can try!

Sorry, I didn't mean to talk about myself so much but I do hope it may have encouraged you and I do hope you feel better soon. remember: 'never, ever give up, you are so much stronger than you think you are'

Oh and please ' Be kind to yourself.'

soft hugs and much love
Ria x
Ria Landon
UKFM Member

Postby littlemac0191 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:06 am

.Hi, isnt it strange how we all seem to have similar experiences. I used to love to dance, of course that is nearly impossible now, unless I am doped up to the eyeballs with tablets. I have also started making crafts. It also takes me a long time and can be painful but the feelin g of acomplishment when i finish something is fantastic. I also make things for my grandaughter, quilts, scarfes, hats and needlepoint pictures. I have started making simple hats and scarves for the shoe boxes, i have got loads of spare wool and just make the pattern up as i go along. I have ages to finish them so no stress and I just work for as long as i feel i can. I have also started doing jigsaws again and go through phases with them. It is surprising where i can find alternative enjoyment, i may not be able to dothe physical things i once enjoyed but refuse to be miserable and will continue to find things that i can enjoy doing. keep your chin up.
littlemac0191
UKFM Member

Postby Joanne C » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:40 am

thank you xxx
Joanne C
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:57 am

I think the worse thing about fibro is being cut off.wheni sit in the house day by day.i think that s what gets to ppl more the. The pain sometimes. I don't have any real friends so I feel very cut off.i do no how u feel,all I can say is wait for summer at lest u can go sit in the garden or go for a walk in the sunshine ,you not alone wish we all live next door a .
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby cbrann58 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:25 am

RIA you would have thought i had you written piece. That is me. I took up cardmaking, jewellry making quilting crochet and knitting. When my hand will let me that is. My grandchildren are what stop me from deep depression love them to bits.
cbrann58
UKFM Newbie

Postby Charmed » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:31 pm

I was virtually house bound too, it's horrible feeling as though you are merely existing, as each day runs into the next. You hear friends who are busy working all week looking forward to the weekends.

Life was so different before fibro, going to see live bands in the pub on a Saturday afternoon. Shopping till you drop. Days of gardening. Zumba classes. Decorating/DIY. Running around with the Grandchildren and cooking huge family meals. Having the Love of my Life...

...Only to be told, "You're making me miserable!" Broken hearted (still am) I left and started my life alone.

Tried to cope, couldn't! So I contacted an Independent Living Officer in a Centre for Inclusive Living and Social Care Direct. It's been a struggle, fighting ATOS, DLA tribunal interrogation, but I won and at last I'm getting help.

My OT gave me LOTS of aids to help me at home. I have a CAS alarm in case I fall. A fabby (all lights flashing) meds box. And my scooter!
I was given a Direct Payment to employ my own Personal Assistant 4 days a week, a lovely volunteer from the Council 1 day per week and friends to help me at weekends.

Just getting out of the house again has helped lift my mood, and being able to interact with others is making me feel part of society again, I can now see the light at the end of the tunnel.

There is help out there, sometimes it's hard to find but it's there. Never give up honey, you're stronger than you think. The long hard Winter has gone for another year, the daffs are out and it will soon be Summer :-)
Charmed
UKFM Member

Postby nuttymoo » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:10 pm

I was diagnosed in 1999 and except when it started initially and for how long it lasted at this time, can't remember how long as it is too long ago and a lot has happened since then, I have probably been quite lucky and not suffered too badly except in the winter. I have Osteoarthritis in most of my joints as well as the Fibromyalgia and IBS with it too and the regular headaches. I have also got Heart problems which have probably caused more problems around early 90's too. I was married and had 2 children, one born 84 and one born 87. Unfortunately, we divorced in 2003 and I found someone else in 2004 and in 2008 I moved to Spain (Costa Blanca) where my health seemed not too bad as the Winters were not so bad as the UK. My Heart condition seems controlled at the moment but recently since the end of last year I have been really suffering a major 'flare up'. I think it was an injury to my back the end of last September that may have triggered it. This is the first time I can remember it being this bad for years and I am really suffering, but I also find that the creative side really helps, I love arty stuff even if it's only colouring in (you can get adult or intricate books to colour in), making cards, and playing my keyboard. I am also learning to play the Ukelele and I have a Nintendo DS that I do puzzles on. Of course it depends how I'm feeling to start with but I try and start off playing a few tunes on my keyboard first and that seems to put me in a happy frame of mind for the rest of the day. :-)
Sorry to waffle first time on here. love and soft hugs to all. xxxx
nuttymoo
UKFM Newbie

Postby Sipsmith » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:05 pm

I am feeling down too.
I want to go to the beach and walk for miles.
I want to clean my house, I hate it when it is dusty and not up to my idea of "scratch"
I want a day without pain.
I want to be able to cope with shopping on my own - sometimes when I go to the supermarket I have to leave the shopping in the car when I get home cos there is no more energy to draw on.
The washing is in the machine but I don't have the energy to hang it out to dry.
My arthritis has also flared.
Thank goodness for my constant companion who reads my every mood - my cat. The more I feel down, the more cuddly she becomes :-D
Tomorrow is another day - hopefully it will be an improvement on today.
Goodnight all.
Sipsmith
UKFM Newbie

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia