Blue Badge Application

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Blue Badge Application

Postby FibroEllie » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:42 pm

Firstly I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this...

I applied for a Blue Badge a couple of weeks ago. How long do I have to wait and does anyone have any tips if I have to attend an assessment? I really need a 'box' outside my house and I've been advised that I can only get one if I have a blue badge. But I've no idea how to get one of these really.

Thank you xx
FibroEllie
UKFM Member

Re: Blue Badge Application

Postby Keeley999 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:41 pm

The best advice was to go as if it is your worst day. I took both my crutches down and walked as I would on a bad day!

I wish you the best of luck :-)
Keeley999
UKFM Newbie

Postby scampikat » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:22 am

Hi
I applied online about 6 years ago and from what i remember i didnt have a medical i just said i had difficulty walking, but the application may of changed although just renewed it took about a week and no longer have good and bad days now its bad days and very bad days have also renewed my dla but thats taking forever. I dont think it will be long and you will have your badge good luck xx
scampikat
UKFM Newbie

Postby eeyorejd » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:17 am

I've had a blue badge for about 6 years. The first time I applied I had a letter from the doctor
to help me as I wasn't calming DLA and didn't have to have a medical. The second time I was on DLA so I got it automatically. I've just applied again two weeks ago and because I was fighting to get my DLA back I was asked to supply evidence of my illnesses as my DLA has now been returned it is automatic again. I think the box varies depending on where you live but in my area you have to pay £50 for them but even though you've paid for it anyone with a blue badge can legally park on it. Most people are respectful that it is outside someone's house because you need it but depending on where you live some people will use it regardless of this.
On average it takes between 3-5 weeks for a blue badge to come through and lasts for three years if you phone your local council they will put you through to the correct department for the blue badge. Fill in the form send it back with your photos my council used to charge but don't any longer if they need more evidence they will write to ask for this.
I've enquired about a box but haven't done it and I just phoned my local council up.
eeyorejd
UKFM Member

Postby FibroEllie » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:43 am

Thank you so much. I filled it in online about two weeks ago (feels a lot longer). I did complete it as if I was having a bad day, although on some bad days I can't get out of bed. I also mentioned it to my GP last time I was there. I don't get DLA, although my hubbi does most of the jobs around the house.
FibroEllie
UKFM Member

Postby padders » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:10 am

Hi I have had a blue badge for 7 years now my 1st application took about 4-6 weeks. And renewal a week so sit tight I am sure they will deal with it as quickly as possible. What is a box of u don't mind me asking.
padders
UKFM Member

Postby pakkacat » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:21 pm

Sorry to sound thick but waiting to hear about my application for pip, can you apply for a blue badge without this? many thanks Caroline
pakkacat
UKFM Newbie

Postby reptigirl12 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:05 pm

Hi i have had my blue badge for 6 years and i was on income support then i went for an assessment and i went as if it was bad day, i am only on esa which replaced income support i have applied for dla but was always told im not disabled enough for it, so havent applied since but thinking about applying as i may have surgery on my back to try and relieve the pain in my legs.
reptigirl12
UKFM Newbie

Postby Charmed » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:21 pm

Hi Pakkacat,
I needed to be in receipt of higher rate of the mobility component of DLA to get mine, I think it may be the same with PIP. Charges seem to vary from area to area, mine charges £20. Best to check with your local council online for details. Good luck x
Charmed
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia