Fibromyalgia after surgery

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Fibromyalgia after surgery

Postby petareynolds » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:57 pm

Hi, has anyone had surgery since being diagnosed? Just wondering if it's going to make my fibromyalgia flare once the block wears off.

I've had hydrodistension procedure on my left shoulder, but fortunately they put an anaesthetic block (much like a spinal block) in my neck which has saddened my entire left arm, hand and shoulder. It wears off between 12 and 36 hours though and apparently is super painful after that. I'm already on Fentanyl, Naproxen, Zapain, amitriptyline and duloxetine and have morphine and anti-emetics if I need to top it up.

Just wondering how anyone else fared after surgery... did their fibromyalgia behave or did it cause a flare, and if so how strong (back to hospital strength?) :roll:
Last edited by petareynolds on Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
petareynolds
UKFM Member

Re: Fibromyalgia after surgery

Postby cozza50 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:06 pm

Hi ive had surgery on my ankle on 31st jan and ive had to have painkillers for a lot longer ive been diagnosed for nearly 2 yrs with fibro and the anethetised should give extra pain relief. the op i had about 1 yr ago they gave me a morphiine injection when i came round as i was in so much pain .
This op i had this year is taking lot longer to get controlled and i know my pain as this was the 32nd op ive had in total :yikes:
hope you get it sorted x
cozza50
UKFM Member

Postby Kimmy xx » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:12 pm

Hi, here's a very useful link pre-op. Sadly though, it wasn't until after I had my spinal fusion that I read about this. I had an awful flair post op. This is definetely worth a read and ask your anaesethatist prior to being sedated, for the drugs that this mentions :)

Wishing you lots of luck and best wishes xxx

http://www.healthcentral.com/chronic-pa ... 553-5.html
Kimmy xx
UKFM Newbie

Postby petareynolds » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:02 am

I'm in hospital now, and guess what, awake in the middle of the night even after amitriptyline. I can feel the pain block creeping back... initially I couldn't feel my entire arm or hand, now I can feel but not use from the elbow downwards. I can have morphine when it starts hurting, on top of my Fentanyl. The thought of a flare is really worrying me though because although I cope better than most on a daily basis a flare always puts me in hospital.
petareynolds
UKFM Member

Postby petareynolds » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:25 am

Fibromyalgia is starting to flare, much earlier than I would have thought as I still have no pain from the surgery. May be a while before I'm back with any updates as my muscles are beginning to contract and tense and pretty soon I won't be able to move.
petareynolds
UKFM Member

Postby petareynolds » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:23 pm

I'm in hospital now, and guess what, awake in the middle of the night even after amitriptyline. I can feel the pain block creeping back... initially I couldn't feel my entire arm or hand, now I can feel but not use from the elbow downwards. I can have morphine when it starts hurting, on top of my Fentanyl. The thought of a flare is really worrying me though because although I cope better than most on a daily basis a flare always puts me in hospital.
petareynolds
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:58 pm

Try not to dwell on the possibility of a flare, as the more you think it over, the more overly aware you'll become of things happening, which will fuel the likelihood of a flare flaring. Is there something that you can try and distract your self with???
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby whoami » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:29 pm

Like fluppy has said don't think about added pain.

I have had well over 25 surgeries while having fibro. I can honestly say I have had no extra pain, other than what is expected from anyone without fibro.

The pain you are experiencing could be normal to the surgery. Talk to your nurse or Dr if you feel uncomfortable.

Everyone reacts so differently to things. You will get a variety of answers.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia