Lets talk about sleep again

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Lets talk about sleep again

Postby Wackers34 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:33 am

I know this always comes up, but I have such trouble with sleep and its driving me mad!

As some of you may have read - i have just been switched from amitriptyline to nortriptyline and i just cant sleep! I have sleep pills and nytol to take as and when and nothing works..I get between 1 hour and 4 if im lucky...could everyone give me tips on what they do for sleep and how much you get on average...

Mine doesnt seem to do with pain - its more that wired feeling

I have tried epsom salts, lavender, relaxation, diazepam, temazepam, tinzanadine, amitriptyline, melatonin, nytol

Wackers34
UKFM Member

Re: Lets talk about sleep again

Postby Brentemma » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:43 am

I share your symptoms but haven't tried as many meds. It's just a matter of exhaustion at the end sleeping when and where. Have you hypnotic relaxation. This may work for you a short term
Brentemma
UKFM Newbie

Postby MikH-D » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:47 am

I have downloaded a few free movie apps to my iphone, 99% effective way to help me sleep. Always worth a try

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MikH-D
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:54 am

I really wish I could help, but my recipe for sleeping is just to be knackered - I really don't struggle that much - worst case it might take me half an hour or so to drop off, but I work full time and I am very very busy and active so I'm always shattered. Oh, and I never nap, it's night time sleep or nothing. Oh and no meds either.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby miamama74 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:58 am

Hi,
I have disturbed sleep during the night. The only way I can get through the day sometimes is to nap. 20 minutes or 1.5 hours is apparently the best amount of time to nap so that you feel refreshed. Anything inbetween can make you feel worse, not better, as you don't go through sufficient sleep patterns to get the restful sleep. Sleep is the worst issue of Fibro for me.
miamama74
UKFM Newbie

Postby Wackers34 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:07 am

schroedingers cat - that is amazing...I never nap either, not for want of trying - just can't switch brain off to do it! I will however lay down sometimes and just relax body for 20 mins

I have exhausted myself before and slept better for it - like for 7 hours, but then i suffer like 2 days after!

I havent tried self hypnosis, i tried visualisation, is that the same thing?

Need to find a way to switch off my brain as feel like i am on high alert all the time :crazy:
Wackers34
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:12 am

I did several months of Buddhist meditation classes, which help enormously when I'm too wired to sleep or stressing about stuff generally. May be worth a try for you?
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:42 am

Sleep issues seem to be one of the , if not the biggest issue with fibro. Either we can't sleep or sleep is all we want.

My Dr is one who thinks that if we could get our sleep patterns sorted out then a lot of symptoms would be helped. Symptoms such as , memory loss, confusion, inability to follow conversation or task at hand. It does make sense.

Over the 25 years I have had numerous meds like most of you. None of them have helped with sleep. I do have sleep apnea and a CPAP but I also have issues with breathing while I am awake. A lot of people without fibro have sleep apnea as well as people with fibro who do not have sleep apnea, so I am sure that sleep apnea itself is not a cause for fibro.

I do wonder though if we could get sleep in order, if my Dr is right, a lot of our annoying symptoms would be decreased if not gone.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Wackers34 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:46 am

yes Whoami you are so right - i agree

Im on list to have a sleep study done, don't snore, but i think to check for other disorders like restless legs etc....so we shall see

It scares me how little sleep i get sometimes, im scared it will be so bad for my health...its reassuring in a way to know I am not alone, even though its not nice for everyone :(
Wackers34
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:58 am

Do you have a regular night/bedtime routine where you'll do things to help you relax at different points thru the evening??? It's not foolproof, but does help. Also making sure that your bedroom is suited for decent sleep can make a difference, comfortable temperature, nice and dark, bed and covers as comfortable as possible, no distracting things such as tvs or pcs etc.

My mind never stops whirling, it never has done. When I was working, that helped occupy and tire me mentally, so at least things did gear down a level or 2 to enable :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: to kick in. These days, I spend some time thru the day puzzle solving~ones in the newspaper, puzzle mags, phone apps etc, which does help slow things down to a degree.

If you ask Mr Googly about relaxation for sleep, sleep hypnosis etc there are many freebie ones to try. Same with phone apps, as well as paid ones, there are often lite/free versions. If your phone will run them, you could try downloading some of them and see which ones may be of help. If you find one that suits, you could then consider purchasing the premium version.

My sleep is very erratic at best, more often than not elusive, but with things like a bedtime routine, having very little caffeine, finding things to burn off a little mental energy, using relaxation techniques, being walked by the doglet and keeping as active as I can each day, when I am laid awake (apart when from OH is :snore1: :snore1: :snore1: :snore1: :snore1: :snore1: :snore1: :snore1: :snore1: :snore1: ) at least there are things I can do to try and not feel quite as deranged as I might be without them.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby migrembe » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:59 am

i second the meditation route, helps me.
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby Lindilou » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:06 pm

Valerian drops from Holland and Barrett's. Take those and you will sleep, they are natural.
Lindilou

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:20 pm

Lindilou wrote:Valerian drops from Holland and Barrett's. Take those and you will sleep, they are natural.

Should you decide to try this, or any other similar remedies/treatments, please check with a suitably qualified person for potential interactions between treatments, and meds you may be taking, both prescribed and otc.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:23 pm

whoami wrote: I do wonder though if we could get sleep in order, if my Dr is right, a lot of our annoying symptoms would be decreased if not gone.

I'm as sure as I can be that, if my sleep could improved dramatically, I would find things easier to handle, even when they're at their worst and screaming at me at their loudest.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby littlemac0191 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:02 pm

I found going to bed when it was really late and i was totally exhausted helped but then i couldnt get up the next morning, and over slept every single day. I now try to have an hour in the afternoon, go to bed earlier and this seems to help a bit, I still toss and turn during the night and have a problem getting over to sleep, getting up is still a major problm but at least i can now get up before dinnertime at least,but i do agree no pc or tv in room. I read to relax.
littlemac0191
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia