Wheelchair

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Wheelchair

Postby shelleyw21 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:36 pm

Hi All, advice needed please

My Fibro has deteriorated in the last 6 months to a point where I am considering giving up work or going part-time, BUT as I have a large mortgage, this would mean loosing my home.

At the moment I cope by going to work and then when I am home switching to a wheelchair or scooter any time I go out of the house in the evenings or at weekends as I am exhausted after work.

I was thinking of switching things around and using an electric wheelchair at work so that I don't have to walk around all day and can be more physically rested. I would hope that then I can cope without the wheelchair the rest of the time and have a better quality of personal life, including swimming and exercise to help retain muscle

What do you think?
shelleyw21
UKFM Newbie

Re: Wheelchair

Postby Gaia » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:49 pm

I was in the same boat as you some time ago, in that I chose to use my wheelchair for certain activities, but I found I very quickly lost the muscle in my legs. I was using it for approximately 3 - 4 hours per day and found my legs got weak very quickly, so the choice was either go back to walking/standing at work or use the chair all the time.

Now I tend to only use it when I am really past exhausted, but still need to get on with things. Having said that, I always use my mobility scooter when out shopping etc as I find the extra strain and fatigue from shopping etc on top of my normal home and work life, just finishes me off
Gaia
UKFM Member

Postby robbiecramp » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:29 pm

Hi guys would like some help here.
I was diagnosed in January and have been using a stick for a week or so then went to physio where they gave me crutches but said that would effect my shoulders and neck (how right they were) so now if having a good day ish I use my stick as need a walking aid when outside. I haven't been able to return to work due to the nature of my job Support Worker in Transitional work with people with learning and mental disabilities and these people especially client I had likes to go out and he is a smashing lad and helped me bless him. over last week when weather was a bit warmer noticed a improvement in my mobility but having said that it gone cold again and can hardly move I am seriously considering paying £200 for a battery when my back tax comes in for the scooter my mum had 6-7 years ago which is in my brothers shed as I am literaly restricted in getting out of house and on a bad day it's impossible. Had a call from the dr surgery today saying that the doctor has done a letter saying I can't walk more than 100m without causing discomfort so I am able to get a gold card for bus. It's going to cost me £15 but at least if I can get to town I can hire a scooter there

am I doing the right thing or should I try and keep walking the little way I can now
robbiecramp
UKFM Member

Postby Amberk » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:57 pm

I tried to walk as much as possible and,was the same as you now i live in a disabled fascilitised flat and use my chair when needed, not all time but enough so I'm not over doing it,and things are better. I use electric when I'm outdoors though as i damaged my arms and neck a lot on stick/crutches.
it's what is good for you because we don't want to not walk at all but don't want to hurt yourself either.
all i would,say is try it out and you'll find the right balance for yourself.
good luck.
Amberk
UKFM Member

Postby daddyvic » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:10 pm

Hi, I work fulltime and use 2 crutches, I have recently got a wheelchair which I use when I feel the need to. It has helped me in allowing me to go out with my family rather than staying at home because I can't walk very far. I must admit though I have used it at work but got very embarrassed, but this is something I need to overcome as I feel I will need it more.
daddyvic
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia