more med changes

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

more med changes

Postby loverliesgal » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:30 pm

Suffering from swallowing problems my perfect mix of Amitryptiline and Pregabalin has been removed from me, almost. Cut down to 20mg Ami Pregab staying same. This week is an introduction to 50mg sertraline, with 10 mg of Ami, Pregab staying the same. I hurt from the ends of my hair down to the ends of my toenails. . . Have a Butrans 10mg patch for pain, and have been having 30/500 co codamol x 2 most nights before bed, not that it really works. I also have 3 x 1g paracetamol during the day.

Right now I have the clearest head I have had for a long time, but as I said I hurt. I have nearly doubled my body weight since being diagnosed 10 years ago. Am now type 2 diabetic, and have really bad stomach problems, ulcer, and hiatus hernia. So along with that mix up there I have lots of tummy stuff which probably will prevent my body absorbing the medication, but hey ho.

Next week I stay at 10mg Ami, Sertraline increased to 100mg, all the rest of my meds will stay the same. Finally once my body is used to it all, I will have my pregabalin increased. Hope this works, as sick of eating mashed food, and yoghurt, but better than choking all the time, just some of the time now. So thats my moan of the day over, Im off to sort out my extra tablet box, at least most of my pills are sorted by the surgery!
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split paragraph into smaller ones for easier reading.
loverliesgal
UKFM Member

Re: more med changes

Postby jenfitzy » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:09 pm

I take amitriptyline and sertraline, and tramadol, after taking codeine based painkillers for years, a new GP (who diagnosed the fibro) claimed codeine doesn't work for fibro. I too have a hiatus hernia and diviticular disease :( for this I take lansoprazle and fibre gel.

After a year on Sertraline 100 mg I am slowly reducing my dosage with a view to stop taking it altogether. Although I was given it due to my husband's sudden and traumatic death, I started having panic attacks. Add into this mess a heart problem and asthma, all in all I'm a mess.

I take each day as it comes, some days are good enough to get out and about by bus, others I can't even get to the end of my road.
I had never heard of fibro, but once I got the diagnosis everything else fell into place, and having a name meant I told people and family it wasn't all in my head. Hope things start to improve for you :goodluck2:
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Make paragraphs clearer for easier reading.
jenfitzy
UKFM Member

Postby loverliesgal » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:20 pm

thank you, I hope so too. For some reason Tramadol does absolutely nothing for my pain. Was on max dose, told the GP it wasn't working, and stopped taking it with no weaning off, and no withdrawal what so ever! The codeine based pain killers do work with me, I cant take any NSAIDS cos of the tummy probs, so its been a bit of putting a finger in the air and hoping something eventually helps.

Even after 10 years diagnosed, there is still no fix, just treating the worst symptoms one at a time. Pain is the order of the day until my gastro appointment, then hopefully will find a suitable agent that does the nerve pain but doesn't hurt the tummy. Seems a lot of us are in the pain no sleep zone at the moment.
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Made paragraphs a little clearer for easier reading.
loverliesgal
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:05 pm

Sending u both hugs I feel for you both,I feel rotten myself,I'm sure I have probs myself I have gastro pills but dr never gives me enough and I have Zantac twice a day and bagger do I no it if I miss one .still dr keeps telling me there nothing to feel so I guess il have to press for hospital to have a look.its no fun when your pills are all over the place.tramadol does not take all my pain away by a mile but I no for a fact I'd never get up with out it.hopeing u both feeling better this summer
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby Jeanette's » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:34 pm

I am on Butrans 10 mcg for spinal disc problems and take 4 x500 mg paracetamol at intervals during the day. I am interested to read that people are recieving more paracetamol than this and taking cocodamol, which contains paracetamol and codeine. I am not allowed other opiods, ie codeine with butrans as the patch contains opiods. It tells you on the instructions not to take any other opiods as it is highly addictive. Taking more paracetamol than 4 x500 day has been proven to cause liver damage. I also take duloxitene at night. My pain levels are very high due to spinal damage but I am not prepared to damage my other organs for pain relief and use my medication with caution. The fibromyalgia s referred to as background pain. At times I can't move with pain and have to lie still in my bed until I recover
Jeanette's
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:21 pm

:welcome: to the forum Jeanette :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

If you have a look around the boards, you'll see that we each have various ingredients making up our cocktails. What we are each prescribed is done so usually because the benefits it can bring tend to outweigh potential side effects. All potential interactions will be flagged when a new med is added to our records.

Looking at various recommendations for dosage, it is suggested that the maximum amount of paracetamol for adults is 1 gram (1000 mg) per dose and 4 grams (4000 mg) per day. If more than three alcoholic beverages are consumed per day, speaking to a GP before taking paracetamol is necessary, and no more than 2 grams (2000 mg) per day should be used.

With how much our pain levels can vary, we each do what is necessary to manage that, along with the other aspects of FM, as well as other problems and conditions we may have. For some of us, remaining still and in bed until things start to settle back down isn't an option unfortunately, so we have to find other ways to be able to deal with how we are affected.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby loverliesgal » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:17 am

All my medicines are used with full consult of my GP, the sertraline didn't work to the point that I couldn't move, so now off it again and back on the AMI. Rather than having a stronger Butrans patch I swap 1g of paracetamol at night with 2x codeine with paracetamol IF NEEDED, the tablets I can swap with are 8/500, 15/500 or 30/500, I have used just one lot of 8/500 on Saturday night once I have gone back onto the ami. Hoping this week holds out and I only use the paracetamol. I don't drink at all so my GP is confident in my judgement to my pain relief needs. She know I hate brain fog, which is worse when I have too much opoid relief. As already said many times we all have differing needs and have different treatment that works for us. Hope I am now back on a manageable level of pain relief sigh :-?
loverliesgal
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia