Doctors

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Doctors

Postby carlz25 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:51 pm

Went to see my GP on Mon. She is the one who diagnosed my fibro. After having to wait 3 weeks for the app by the time I got there is forgot why I made it in the first place. [FLUSHED FACE] I told her this and it seemed to really annoy her.
I did have some other issues which I discussed with her but she was very dismissive and didn't seem to take on board anything I was saying.
I got the impression she was fed up listening to me.
Anyone else experienced their doc having some kind of personality transplant? I'm now debating changing to a different doc as I felt so crappy when I came away from her!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
carlz25
UKFM Member

Re: Doctors

Postby JDWench » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:10 am

I was diagnosed with fibro my a rheumatologist and when I went to docs I asked to start a treatment plan. She prescribed amitriptylin and nothing else was said. I saw a nurse last week or week before (can't remember) because my eyes and ears were hypersensitive she told me I was just run down and didn't even take in to account it could be linked to other problems. I've been off work this week as I seem to be having symptoms of ibs, started Monday and ongoing. Not sure if meds side effect or something else. Have to speak to doc tomorrow and I'm terrified they'll roll their eyes and be like *sigh* "her again"
Help me raise money for Reach http://www.justgiving.com/Sadie-Scott1
JDWench
UKFM Member

Postby carlz25 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:19 am

That's how I'm beginning to feel too. Doc was great at the start. Had me going once a month to sort out meds. She also shouted at me for not taking a sick line off her for work. Really wanted to help at the start.
Seems now she's lost interest.
At the start it is very hit and miss with meds and side affects so def keep going until you get the right balance for you.

carlz25
UKFM Member

Postby olwynam1 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:21 am

Hi, IBS is a common symptom of fibromyalgia, as is hypersensitivity to light, sound and smells. I was diagnosed 16 yrs ago and have had a long time to research the condition. Being a syndrome opens us up to a whole host of symptoms. However, whenever a new one occurs I do check it's nothing else first with my doctor rather than putting everything down to fibro - just in case.
olwynam1
UKFM Member

Postby l00py » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:32 am

I just get sorry theres nothing we can do juSt keep taking the pain killer, i couldnt take the amitriptylin  becauce it made me feel spaced out and sleepy i was 100 times worse on it :-[
l00py
UKFM Newbie

Postby carlz25 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:34 am

I like it because it Defo helps me sleep. But......I also sleep most of the next day too

carlz25
UKFM Member

Postby lisap134 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:08 am

Hi I was diagnosed last year with Fibro from my dr. I am lucky to have an understanding Dr and have already seen a Rumatologist (excuse spelling) who has also confirmed me having 16 out of 18 tender areas when i saw him. The only downside being i need surgery on my knee due to osteoartritus to which i was refered to a orthopedic consultant who i have now seen and is against surgery as it would upset the fibro further. My Dr has been very supportive and has now changed my meds and im now on gaberpentin, amytriptalin, zapain and tramadole. At the moment we are trying to get a balance to find pain relief but being a single mum with a 4 year old i also have to stay aware of what im doing as he is on the autism spectrum and can be difficult. Just as well i have my family around me to help me out, and a very understanding Dr.
lisap134
UKFM Newbie

Postby littlemac0191 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:27 pm

My doctor now is really great but it has taken 4 years or more to get my diagnosis, I know it takes a while for a fibro diagnosis, but why oh why when all the tests, x-rays , blood, ultra sounds etc come back negative do the doctors just shrug their shoulders and say oh well the tests are normal. Then stare blankly at you waiting for what !!!!! I changed doctors and with some help and encouragement and a great physiotherapists referral to the pain clinic, who then referred me to the rheumatologist, FINALLY, I got there and even though I put on a brave face and dont always look ill ,at least I can say what is wrong with me, as an explanation, for,( EVERYTHING).Also I now get PIP's. Hooray. It is well worth sticking with it, and by the way the assessment wasnt as bad as I expected. Just be yourself. K
littlemac0191
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia