Looking ill

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Looking ill

Postby carolad » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:57 pm

I've heard people with fibromyalgia say it is hard to get other people to believe you because they 'don't look ill'. But I have found when I'm feeling unwell, I look AWFUL!! I am pale, drawn, dark circles under my eyes...I never have to tell my colleagues at work I'm having a bad day, they know just by looking at me. And I'm always getting comments from people saying that I look tired. Yet on my better days, all of that is reversed, I am a better colour, my eyes are brighter and I just look more healthy.

I just wondered how common this was - does your appearance change if you are having a bad day?
carolad
UKFM Member

Re: Looking ill

Postby Angell173 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:26 pm

Hi
Yes I agree. My hubby and others often comment on how I look when I'm ill. Same comments as you mentioned! Looking pale, dark eyes and just a general unwell look x
Angell173
UKFM Newbie

Postby SchroedingersCat » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:36 pm

Yep.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:20 pm

Thanks! Maybe I need to invest in a better concealer and blusher so I don't frighten people ;-)
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby LouLou » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:58 pm

Same here carolad

I use a tinted moisturiser by Nivea which gives me a hint of colour as I don't like wearing foundation - it always felt quite heavy on my skin whereas the tinted moisturiser is really light.

I use Touche Eclat by YSL for under my eyes, it can be a tad pricey at around £20 a tube but you only need a small amount and one tube can last me 2 months. I get mine off Amazon as it's a bit cheaper than Boots etc.

I find this combination helps some what in making me look a bit more healthy and better than I actually feel lol though on the bad bad days nothing helps and I just have to accept it (not easy for a woman lol)
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby kehhaar » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:56 pm

I know what u mean my partner always knows when im ill he says he can tell in my face sadly fibro and hypermobility as well as lupus have taken their toll on me xx
kehhaar
UKFM Newbie

Postby whoami » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:31 pm

This reminded me of a forum I belonged to quite a few years ago. Everyone could not understand that I always looked good in photos. That I was a fraud. There is no way I had all the issues/symptoms I had told them about.

Well, I thought the only was to have them believe me, I dove in and took photo's on a really bad day. I have had a mild stroke that really only shows if I am tired or ill and my face and eye droops. It is always noted when I fly back to the UK and I being tired get pulled over and thoroughly looked over. My passport has stamped "facial features" under comments. I have also had Bells Palsey on the opposite side, LOL so when I am tired or ill I am a real fright, LOL

So...I took the photo's and posted them on the forum. Placing the pretty me beside the stranger. I got many comments from sympathy, understanding to the ,"that is not you".

Some said, your photo's always look normal, you don't look ill at all. These are photo's of someone else.
I responded with....Honestly, would you post pictures of yourself looking like this? Would you not only show the photo's of you looking your absolute best. I said to them...of course you would. We are human, we are vain, we are also women. Most women, possibly men also would either delete, tear up or burn the bad ones, LOL

We can't seem to win can we. Look great...we are judged! Look like hell....we are judged!
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby mveido » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:09 pm

Im the same im pale with black rings around my eyes and look wiped out so tired x
mveido
UKFM Newbie

Postby painprincess1 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:37 pm

I to look ill when I'm bad , but I think what we mean when we say we don't look I'll is we can well for some still work or go food shopping and ppl think we just had a hard day and need a good sleep. As we're not sitting in a wheel chair or have our legs in paster ppl just don't see it.do u understand what I mean.xxxx
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia