Do you ever wonder if its all a farce?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Do you ever wonder if its all a farce?

Postby Butterfly8588 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:29 pm

Hi everyone,
As someone who's been diagnosed with fibro I often find i have new weird and not so wonderful symptoms, I google and lo and behold its a known symptom of fibro. I've just seen a website with a table of symptoms longer then I care to depress myself with and they are so random and varied I just dont understand how it can be connected together.
Sometimes I question my diagnosis, I have all the symptoms (common and less so) you'd expect from the dreaded pain to the post nasal drip, the memory problems to the fatigue but I'm not on regular pain medication anymore cos it did nothing for me. is this possible? For someone to manage to live with the pain I mean. Sometimes I have to have codeine to round the edge off of the pain when I cant stand it I guess. It's not physical problems because ive been MRI'd to hell and back with no problems found.
Do you ever wonder if we are all being done a disservice by the creation of fibromyalgia? I'm still feeling so lost and it's nearly my 5 year anniversary. I know these things are not in my head, I'd never even heard of it before I got it so what is it? "Fibromyalgia" just feels like a convenient way to shut us up and make us go away.
Am I alone or does anyone else feel the same?

take care xxx
I'm the ghost of a girl that I want to be most, I'm the shell of a girl that I used to know well.
Butterfly8588
UKFM Member

Re: Do you ever wonder if its all a farce?

Postby paininthebum » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:48 pm

Hi I know what you mean. I had all the symptoms but my GP didn't know what was wrong with me. I was starting to think I was making it up no one believed me as I looked healthy. But in 2005 I was given a diagnosis and I cried with relief. But I got so used to the symptoms so that I would blame the fibro until In 2012 I felt unwell with a massive headache whicb I assumed was fibro until I woke up in hospital with bacterial meningitis, having "died" three times. So suffice to say I know longer assume that it is fibro. .I hope you find something that helps dull the pain.i take loads of pain relif with little or no effect.
paininthebum
UKFM Newbie

Postby Kyomii » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:23 am

Fibromyalgia IS very real and thanfully research has now proved this, as this article shows http://www.intidyn.com/Newsroom/article-0009.html (there are other research articles out there too.)

HOWEVER, due to the overlapping symptoms with many similar conditions, many get misdiagnosed as having FMS when they have a different condition and visa versa - many get misdiagnosed as having something else when they have FMS. It is bound to happen.
Kyomii
UKFM Member

Postby Butterfly8588 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:55 am

Jesus pain, I cant imagine what you went through, I really hope you're all better now.
hi kyomi, I wasnt questioning the existence of fibro, more that drs use it as an excuse to not have to do anything. I suffer from a huge amount of symptoms and every new one, unless its really worrisome, I dont bother now cos all I get is 'oh its your fibro dont worry'
I'm the ghost of a girl that I want to be most, I'm the shell of a girl that I used to know well.
Butterfly8588
UKFM Member

Postby spencebel » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:55 am

I am the same, i too am not on any meds, they made no difference, so i just take pain relief as and when i need it, and my vitamin D3 tabs.
In my mind, this is what life has dealt me , so just get on with it.
spencebel
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:02 am

I'd bet good money half the ppl in this forum have sat there at some point and said the same thing as you, with so many aches and pains to this illness it does make you feel that there more going on than just one illness. But sadly it's all fibro for most of us. That what makes it scary like paininthebum, she thought of fibro headache and bless her she nearly died.thats why when ever your not sure u must ask or see a dr.and because this illness is only really been looked at properly in the last 20 years or so dr are still finding there feet with it.i no fibro been around since time begin but in the world of meds it's fairly new,
Mostly as no one could be assed to study it.but it's such a big problem now there having to research it better. So take heart your not alone and even if you had it five years sometimes it can take a lot longer to admit to your self you got it.
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:11 am

I have already said this on the forum, but it fits here as well so forgive me for repeating myself. I have had to stop nearly all medication and just take the odd cocodamol or ibuprofen because they weren't really helping and often caused really bad side affects, which were worse than the fibro.

We may get mad at the docs when they say there is not much they can do for the pain, but i think they may actually be right.
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby juliem » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:45 pm

I too do not take any medication. They seem not to work, or only briefly then almost one is worse off than before. I have co-codamol in the cupboard but that too makes me feel dreadful.
juliem
UKFM Member

Postby Spaced out » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:39 pm

Sorry it's no farce 10 yrs down the line I have most of those long list of symptoms. The central nervous system has a lot to do with it, but reasurch is getting closer to an answer. Fibro is like me was in the 80s, it took them a long time to realise it wasn't just yuppy flu. Every day I have coleagues commenting on things they don't understand but that's there problem not mine. I have only just decided to except it after all these years as symptoms have got worse . Don't doubt yourself because one day every one will understand what where going through. My fibro is hiereditry as I have 4 cousins and 2 aunts with it. Three cousins being v ill at the moment. Don't doubt yourself ur not going mad it is real, also ignor people who don't understand they are the ones who are going to end up with egg on their faces.xxxxxx
Spaced out
UKFM Newbie

Postby jumpingjax » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:55 am

Hi, I don't write on the site very often, but like you I do not take any meds. It's out of choice rather than anything - basically I heard and read such scary stuff abut the meds I tend to put up with the pain. I've got them I just don't take them and I steer clear of the docs as much as I can. I'd like to say it isn't too bad, but some days I really do feel like ripping my legs off!! Still, that would be impossible....my hands aren't strong enough!!! Seriously though guys, yes it sucks, but we just get on with it because there isn't anything else to do. All I can say, is keep smiling! Jax
jumpingjax
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia