The stigma of taking pills

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

The stigma of taking pills

Postby painprincess1 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:48 pm

The other night my OH and I were sitting down and I said right I'm off to get some paracetamol .he looked at me and said how many do u take ,I said four a day most days as I do with tramadol. He said omg that's a pack and a half a week, as there 16 in a pack of paracetamol .i then set about telling him compared to some ppl it's nothing and I didn't like taking them ,I told him look this ain't helping me I feel bad enough about it as it is.he said oh I didn't mean to say that, this from a man who smokes 20 a day.my dr is worse he will say ok your on all these pills let's see what we can try u off of. And I'm like hang on YOU put me on them.he will then say oh yes u need them I was just thinking we would try without this one . Does anyone else feel there's a stigma to having pain killers.
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Re: The stigma of taking pills

Postby Selkie » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:10 pm

Yup all the time. Dr and OH didn't help by pointing out that now i am clinically an "addict".

I used to buy my paracetamol in bulk from booker because it was cheaper, but my pain now asks for ibuprofen instead. Ignore the comments and the looks, no matter how sympathetic they try to be, if they don't have your pain, they aren't going to have a clue what you need pain wise.

With Dr's i have found that having the skin of a rhino is the only way to deal with their "helpful" comments on how i should be just getting on with it....

Have a gentle hug, and remember, they aren't being mean. Just ignorant. fairy_dust
Selkie
UKFM Member

Postby praline » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:23 pm

I think there is a stigma in general to pills, some people are very against them for whatever reasons or beliefs they hold.

It applies a lot to anti-depressants' people can be very dismissive about them, I admit when they started me on amitriptyline for pain, seeing on the packet they were an anti-depressant worried me - though that was more because of being on another one before and having a rough start and end with them.

*just to add I remembered the other day I was taking some paracetamol and my ward sister (I work in a hospital!) actually commented about popping pills! :nono: I just mumbled hmm yeah..
Last edited by praline on Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting for official diagnosis but it all makes sense now..its not in my head..it was always real..
praline
UKFM Member

Postby zoomie » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:33 pm

I know what you mean however... I take a lot of pills now several years down the line, when I'm flaring I take 8 x tramadol, 8 x co codamol, 8 x busopan, 3 x cymbalta, 2 x zopiclone, magnesium, vit D, vit b12, oramorph as req and I have a morphine patch! Me and my partner joke about me taking my pills as my starter :oops: Lol
This is hard enough to deal with honey, try not to let this stress you xx
Fibromyalgia comes in many shapes, sizes and abilities... DON'T DISCRIMINATE!!!!
zoomie
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:58 pm

Nobody has to justify what medication they take. Also there is absolutely no reason to tell anyone other than your immediate family what you take. It is a personal thing and others don't need to know.

As far as Dr's and medication. In my mind a Dr is being responsible if he suggests that your meds could be decreased or changed. When I first started on this journey 25 years ago I was on a huge amount of meds, like many others are. For the fibro I was taking 32 tablets a day. Over the years we found that the meds were either giving me more symptoms, were damaging my system. Or they were making no difference after a while. We only knew that when I stopped them.

As far as the fibro goes I am now down to 2 prescriptions. I have other conditions that need meds.

I feel if we can possibly decrease meds, change them or try other types of treatments we will benefit in the long run. We are all different and how we manage our fibro will be different.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Amberk » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:57 pm

I take a lot of medication. If you need them Hun ignore other people as they have no idea of how you fel.
I'm lucky on the other hand as my Dr. is fabulous.
he listens to what i say, how I'm feeling and i don't ever feel rushed or like I'm talking to a brick wall
you just need to tell people straight and be strong.
good luck.
Amberk
UKFM Member

Postby Aldon40 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:19 pm

Hey I take 1800 mg of Gabapentin 400mg tramadol 55mg of amytriptillin and 2mg of clonozepam and still have pain. my body is so used to them, I do everything normally. it's ridiculous my meds haven't been checked in eighteen months. I was on oramorph and took myself off of it, had really bad withdrawals for a week but succeeded. I'm waiting for an op on my neck then try to get off all these meds :-D
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Bit of punctuation added for easier reading.
Aldon40
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:24 pm

One thing that doesn't help how people perceive those of us and our cocktails is how the media represents those who develop dependency issues with prescription and otc meds. They tend to use the same sort of brush that paints the picture of people who have developed issues with illegal substances thru choice, when in a lot of cases, this is very, very far from the truth. The dependency arises from that need for relief that can become all~consuming, rather than making a conscious choice to put something into the body that it doesn't really need, purely to see how it might make someone feel. Yes, it's a conscious choice to take the meds we are prescribed, but one that is driven by the need for some easing/relief in what we are experiencing rather than just wanting to see if something will give us the buzz/effects others have said they get.

My attitude to taking my cocktail has definitely changed over the years. In the early days, the comments by others about how many tabs I was taking, the strength and combinations of the various meds, being asked if I was sure that I really needed all of them etc used to really get to me, to the point where, whenever we were anywhere else but home, I'd make sure I had a drink with me so that I could sneak off to a shadowy corner and take them without being seen.

These days tho, I don't give a :swear1: what anyone may think or say to me. What I'm doing is of no concern of theirs, I'm not affecting them, and I'm certainly not getting hold of them and ramming things down their throat for them to see how they might feel with them in their system :face-slap: :face-slap: :face-slap: If they make an inane comment, then they have the pleasure of realising just what I think about their opinion :girl_moon: :girl_moon: :girl_moon: :girl_moon: :girl_moon:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby whoami » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:46 pm

Fluppy, you are so right how people can judge us and place us in the same category as an illegal drug user.

I have a family member who is taking psychology. She made a very opinionated comment in front of my little grandchildren.

She said you know..."you are no better than a junkie, you are so addicted to narcotics that one of these days you will put on your patches, somewhere other than home and you will overdose on them. You will just flip right out"

Hubby and I just looked at her in disbelief. I was gobsmacked. My hubby tried to explain how the medication worked. Yes my body was likely addicted to them and that I possibly would go through withdrawel if I stopped weafing them, but I was not dependant on them for the feeling I get.

He also tried to explain that I get no "high" from the meds. That I am not shaking come time to change the patches. I do not get some sort of enjoyment from them. She didn't get it, still saying I was a junkie.

A family nurse stepped in and said that with chronic pain it is different. Your body is using the medication as intended. The pain receptors will take what it needs to control pain. If my body did not need the medication to control the pain then I would have side effects. If I had too much then I would get lethargic, possibly heart palpitations, possible death. If I was not getting enough I would then obviously have pain.

She explained that the reason I am on such a high dose and not a sole could tell I am wearing the strength I am is that, my body needs it to control the pain.

The family member still did not get it and stuck to her junkie story. The sad thing is that my little grandchildren asked me if I was a drug addict, these little ones are her own children.

Some people, even ones who are supposed to be learning and know it all, obviously have a lot to learn.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:09 pm

These comments always cut so much deeper when they come from someone who is supposed to be so close to us. And in front of little ones is just wrong. They tend to repeat what they have heard to everyone and anyone, which can bring a whole new can of worms with it.

Every once in a while, a dog enters your life and changes everything xx
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Richard elder » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:11 am

Hi I have problems with the tables my gp has me taking I get d h c 120 continuis but I've been on them for years and they do very little now I am afraid to ask for them to be changed as I don't want to be an nhs junkie I live in a small town when people see you swallowing piles of tables they automatically think druggie
Richard elder
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:46 am

Whoiam I always say what goes round comes round ppl always end up eating there words.
Richard anyone who matter s knows your not a junkie ,I lived in a small village where everyone knew my brother he was on ocm and dr meds him and his wife and yes it killed them both,so I guess I feel more sensertive then I should about taking pills .yet no one has ever come up to me and said anything to me other then sorry there gone. I can't see why they would u you.
Fluppy u kill me lol I always think of you a this very level headed person who don't swear .u know how u get a picture of someone in your head, so your post did make me laugh .i can just see you telling ppl to shove it hehe
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby Tracey24 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:24 pm

People question me all the time about how many pills I take to present day I am on 67 a day it really makes me fed up but I know without them I'm more useless than I am with! If that makes any bloody sense at all! My consultant recently put me on amitriptylene and amanadine! Is anyone else on this? Does it actually do anything?
I've got to the point that I take all of my pills together, i may swallow ten to fifteen every four hours ans people just stop and stare! :-o
I'm not bothered to some point because they aren't the ones living with this condition, they don't suffer the pain! and everything else that cpomes with having fibromyalgia!!!!!! x Thanks for listening to my moaning!!! x
Keep fighting, smile through the pain!
Tracey24
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia