is it all in our heads???

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

is it all in our heads???

Postby Bellatr1x » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:20 am

I don't think so. I'm not quite 30 and the last year has been a struggle. I've gone from being a runner and general whirlwind to struggling to get out of bed. Some days my arms hurt so much I struggle to eat, I have to use a stick most days to help me get about lol. Anyway that's by the by, a person on a Facebook fm site posted that we were all a bunch of self pitying people who moan all the time and try and get lots of money off the sTate. She said: I have fm, I hold down a full time job, look after my son and daughter and husband. I can copen so basically you lot are pathetic with your 'I can't copes, 'I've had enough etc. And I know how much pain I'm in daily, not to mention tiredness etc, but I wondered, is it in our heads? I don't think so but what do you think? Xx
Bellatr1x
UKFM Member

Re: is it all in our heads???

Postby jamieww » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:44 am

No it's not all in our heads. Everyone is affected differently. Some have it mild. Mine started when I was 18 and I worked until I was 36 when it just got too much for me. Nowadays I sometimes can't get out of bed and other days I can actually get out in the car.
Just because this vile person has it mild and obviously hasn't experienced how tough it can be doesn't give them the right to criticise.
Take care
Pregabalin 600mg (2x300mg)/Butrans Patch 52.5mcgrm per hr/Hydrocortisone cream1% (for the 'burn' mark left with the patch)/Diazepam 30mg (10mg x 3)/lithium 800mg/Esomeprazole 20mg/Paracetamol 4000mg (8 x 500mg)/Sertraline 200mg/Risperidone 6mg
jamieww
UKFM Newbie

Postby Garyl » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:47 am

It is no way in our heads, i have suffered for nearly 10 years with the pains, and general discomfort from this dreadful illness, so tell them who tell yopu that to walk a week in your shoes when your at your worse i do.
Garyl
UKFM Member

Postby Bellatr1x » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:52 am

I do wonder about myself though, sone days I can can clean whole house, most days I feel triumphant that I've managed to get kids dressed, to school as nd done the washing up. The other day I walked to the city,it's ten mind away, managed to walk around for 15 mins and then that was me done lol. I read her post about how pathetic and money grabbing we all were and I felt terrible. I saw my docs yesterday, a new one and she said apply for blue badge and dla until then I'd never considered it.but I felt so miserable as earlier this year I managed 15 hour shifts and now I couldn't. I don't know why I felt bad, probably was envy more than anything lol xx
Bellatr1x
UKFM Member

Postby Aldon40 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:59 am

I think the lady who said it is in our heads has been mis diagnosed, I was working but really struggle I'm on my ninth week off sick let alone all the times before this flare up. I'm on a hell of a lot of medication and nothing helps I can't carry out day to day chores and find my life getting harder and harder I was diagnosed two years ago after four years of agony. So all I can say to her is go back to the doctors because if your managing and nothing's a problem you definately haven't got FM.
Aldon40
UKFM Member

Postby zoomie » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:04 am

Some of these, "get on with it, I manage this that and the other" comments really p**s me off!

Personally I am really pleased for you, I would LOVE to still be in work, I would LOVE to go out with my children, I would LOVE to be the woman my husband married!!!

I had cancer and worked through it, I didn't take a single day off, I managed fine, I did this because I was able, never did I think to myself everyone else with cancer is faking it, putting it on, they obviously had a more severe cancer than I had!
Likewise with fibromyalgia, for about 6 months of the year I don't get out of bed (not all in one go lol) the rest of the year I have to really pace myself, one moment too long stood up our walking and I suffer.

I hope someone tells this lady to wind her neck in, would love her to walk a mile in my shoes (or 20 meters!)
Last edited by denys on Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removal of expletive that may have caused offense
Fibromyalgia comes in many shapes, sizes and abilities... DON'T DISCRIMINATE!!!!
zoomie
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:50 am

This women prolly hasn't even had a dr tell her she got it, she might hurt abit looked it up and said oh yer I got that.
Or she's got it mild and god help her one day she it does get worse.
Or she's a troll and it's some kid with nothing to do but try to wind ppl up.
What ever forget about her as when she does get ill she will be worse then anyone on the planet. These ppl are everywhere in the world and the best thing u can do is forget about them they need the attention to make the self feel good.maybe she didn't get enough hugs as a kids. Whatever it is she taking it out on anyone she can without doing it face to face.
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby dustyella » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:52 pm

I haven't read the post that the lady said it's all in our heads,well I'm amazed that someone could say that,i've had fibromyalgia for years I get good days and bad days recently I did a bit of painting in my grandchildren's playhouse to make it nice to play in,well I should have paced myself because I could hardly get out to my car when I had finished and I was in so much pain my daughter was talking to me and I couldn't take in anything she had told me! , all I could think of was to get home and get my very strong painkillers and get to bed..!! the next day I could hardly move let alone walk so if people think it's all in our heads then they are delusional..!!! the pain can be chronic and sometimes I think I will end up in a wheelchair
dustyella
UKFM Newbie

Postby Hellyn » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:22 pm

Such an off the cuff remark isn't it? All in our heads...in a way it is as neural pathways are involved so it effects our heads-brain, but it certainly is not imaginary as that remark implies.
And manage it? You can to a point but sometimes you just have to relent and give into the fatigue no matter how much you have planned and thought through your activities..it comes and flattens you from within without warnings.
Like living on a never ending roller coaster and what I wouldn't give to know what life was without the discomfort everyday, muddled brain and energy I use to have. What it was like to just do things without battling with myself internally with things like picking up a mug without conscious thought so I don't drop it. It is tiring to think about every little move where before I just did it.
The internal dialogue just doing the dishes to make sure I don't drop them or put them down unsafely takes up energy that I want to do doing other things just for me.
No it's not in our heads and it reminds me everyday it isn't just by it's relentless presence...who on earth would want to live like this by choice?
Hellyn
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:38 pm

First person to tell ME its all in my head will find out just how much strength I still have in my right arm.

Listen, not everyone with FM is incapacitated. I work a 40 hour week, run a house, walk my collie dog, look after the OH and 3 cats, have an allotment and a very active hobby that involves weekends on campsites where I cater for 10-50 people. I'm on otc meds only. I'm in constant pain, same as everyone else here, but mine seems to be milder than most and I still live the same life I did before, just slower and more cautiously. Don't be too quick to judge that someone has been misdiagnosed, just because they're not as ill as you are. We're damn grateful for that fact, us mild cases, believe me!!
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:47 am

Sounds more like a troll as most people who dont suffer as badly as most others are more like SC (the previous poster) and are just glad they can still manage, determined to keep going as long as they possibly can.

Please try to ignore this persons comments and dont take them to heart, there are a lot of detractors out there and as has been said, with so little going on in their own lives they feel the need to comment on others.
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby fallingtobits » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:15 pm

Oh yeah, it's all in my head, because I'd much rather pretend to be crippled like this and just exist than be the active 'me' I used to be. I'm so glad that woman can manage. Bully for her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fallingtobits
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:42 pm

I'm with Denys, it sounds like the type of thing a troll will post to see how many responses they can rile out of people and how far they can spread the annoyance that they know full well everyone who replies will be full of. Sadly the t'interweb is a haven for them and other undesirables that we would probably go out of our way to avoid in the physical world.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Katie Louise » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:48 pm

I like the 'troll' that posted that hideous statement still manage to work 4 days (but I am so tired by the weekend I have pins and needles in my lips) I two look after two small children as well as trying to complete my degree part time and keep the house together yet it doesn't for one second mean that I am copying I'm slowly realosing that I am running my self in to the ground. My house is a mess and I can't cope at the weekend I just want to crumble. I do these things because I have to I would love to get to a point where I can slow down but part of me worries that the minute I slow down stop or put myself firsty body will breath a sign of relief and give up putting me in hospital. I was pressured by my husband to work 4 days and I feel like lm drowning but yet I'm scared to stop incase I can't start again. Anyone who can post something like that does not understand the extent of fms and the impact ot has on any life be it the person suffering or those around them that are affected. I have gone from being active and healthy to needing crutches and changing my car to accommodate my illness. I'm so exhausted that today all I can do is cry because I hate the feeling that my body just wants to go into convulsions. Don't know if I have made any sense sorry. Xx

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk
Katie Louise
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia