pains with memory foam mattress

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

pains with memory foam mattress

Postby trishy » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:40 pm

I have recently bought a memory foam mattress hoping it will alleviate the pains but no such relief. Has anyone else found this problem. Help. What I wouldn't give for a full night restful painfree sleep. :(
trishy
UKFM Member

Re: pains with memory foam mattress

Postby whoami » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:54 pm

trishy, I am sorry to hear iyou are not sleeping well. Sleeping issues is a major factor in fibro.
but I don'
We have memory foam mattresses on all our beds and in the trailer/caravan we have a handmade queen size memory foam. Our bed is a king memory foam. The memory foam has helped a bit but I don't think it will take away all the pain.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby cherryscone » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:05 pm

I have a firm memory foam and no it doesn't solve all my pain problems but it was one of my best buys ever.
cherryscone
UKFM Newbie

Postby Hellyn » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:17 pm

We have a memory foam mattress on a victorian sprung base, not only is the bed higher making it easier for me to just get up in a standing position the base seems to make the mattress conform to our body shape better. The pain doesn't go but it makes it difference to feel all of me supported.
The core of ours is also sprung, worth the money and getting the old base has seemed to improve the sleep.
Hope your sleep settles. :-D
Hellyn
UKFM Member

Postby kazza65 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:19 pm

I have a memory foam topper and that hasn't done anything for me.

I think it causing my throbbing legs. If i lay too long on one side my legs start throbbing so i have to turn over and then my leg on that side starts throbbing.

I thing i'm going to remove ours

hope this is somewhat....#
Live life to the full as you don't know when it will end xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
kazza65
UKFM Member

Postby carishasafia » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:24 pm

I have a memory form mattress..and to be honest it hasn't don't much to relieve the pain....hope you feel better soon :-)
carishasafia
UKFM Newbie

Postby juliem » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:30 pm

I have a tempur mattress and it is amazing. I do think Tempur are the best. It has made a huge difference to me and I'm always shocked when I stay elsewhere how uncomfortable many beds are. It doesn't make it pain free totally but it was my best ever buy along with my Tempur pillows.
juliem
UKFM Member

Postby jezebellow » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:32 pm

Most FM is worsened with chemicals. So make sure that your mattress is latex free as it can trigger inflammation. I have a latex free one and it has transformed my sleep. I don't want to get out of bed in the morning now as I'm so comfortable.
:-D
jezebellow
UKFM Member

Postby trishy » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:52 pm

my legs hurt all the time but it is my left hip that is causing so my grief I cannot sleep on that side. its like I am lay on concrete. Half th time I wonder if my hip is wearing thin or is it my fibro.
trishy
UKFM Member

Postby jenfitzy » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:19 pm

I have an adjustable bed, I sleep with both head and feet up, it seems to have helped. As I'm classed as disabled I didn't have to pay the VAT which makes quite a difference. Well worth it :-D
jenfitzy
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:39 pm

Unfortunately there isn't really anything (so far anyway) that will take away all the hurtys. The best we can currently do is make ourselves as comfortable as we can.

We have a memory foam, and for me it has made a difference to the amount of support I have down the length of my body during the night, which helps make me feel a little more comfortable, even when it's one of those nights when :sleep: :sleep: is elusive.

Altho memory foam mattresses made a difference to a lot of people, they don't suit everyone, which may be part of the reason why some find that it makes little or no difference to them.

The one thing that could be removed from the bed that would definitely help my :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: is the :snore1: :snore1: :snore1: :snore1: :snore1: :snore1: :pigoink 1: :pigoink 1: that often intrudes and disrupts the nights :pull-hair: :too-upset: :scream-1: :waiting:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby padders » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:58 pm

I have a memory foam mattress and love it. I am not pain free on it but it is the best sleep i get. When i go away i hate it as the matteress are usaly rubbish. I have found a good memory foam pillow helps as well. I had a cheap one to start with but just didnt help. Brought a new one a couple of weeks ago and my what a difference. Still not pain free but much better with new pillow and matteres. I have also brought a memory foam v pillow for when i am sitting or laying down on my sofa again it is brilliant. Again not pain free but much better than the ine i had before jyst a normal one. Although none were cheap it is the best money i have spent. Maybe worth a go for you? I got mine from a shop called dunelm mills and they had a choice of memory foam pillows to feel so i got the one closest to my v pillow. Also Argos do a couple of special orthapedic/ pregnancy pillows they are bigger than normal pillows but they are supposed to support all your body. They have good reviews from people with pains. So again maybe worth a go. Hope you get sorted x
padders
UKFM Member

Postby fallingtobits » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:02 pm

I also found the memory foam uncomfortable. The hospital recommended buying a cheap fluffy duvet and putting this on top of the mattress to make it soft. They also recommended rolling a towel, or putting a pillow between your legs to prevent the pressure points on the knees touching. These 2 tips have made a massive difference to my comfort in bed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fallingtobits
UKFM Member

Postby lisap134 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:38 pm

I also still have pain with a memory foam (nearly typed phone instead of foam LOL) cant lay on my right side or pain radiates down my hip and legs so toss and turn alot. I honestly think there is not a perfect mattress when you have fibro. Just grin and bare it.
lisap134
UKFM Newbie

Postby trishy » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:54 pm

I have tried all that (fallintobits) duvet on mattress, pillows between knees, a lie-on pillow, done it all and still toss and turn every night, cannot remember what a proper full undisturbed sleep feels like. No wonder I am always tired and irritable. But thanks everyone for your comments and advice, xx
trishy
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia