Advice on cramp?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Advice on cramp?

Postby JDWench » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:03 pm

For the last four mornings I've woken up with the soles of my feet aching to the point where on Friday morning it took me a while to get out of bed, I also am suffering with nearly constant cramp in both legs. I'm thankfully able to stand up and walk around whilst this happens but it still hurts and is uncomfortable. I do take naproxen and codeine but I don't want to rely on drugs so I try to only have them when I'm really suffering. I bathe and have tried epsom salts baths. Do any of you have any techniques other than share willpower for getting through it?
Help me raise money for Reach http://www.justgiving.com/Sadie-Scott1
JDWench
UKFM Member

Re: Advice on cramp?

Postby SchroedingersCat » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:06 pm

Stretching is the only thing for me, I don't take any meds at all so very little relief other than moving till the cramp stops.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:24 pm

Don't laugh but I've been told a bar of soap by your feet in bed really helps.
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby dejay » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:43 pm

Drinking Tonic Water the kind with Quinine in ( don't know if I have spelt this right ) the cheaper kind has not got this in, Trouble is you have to drink it before you get cramp, so if you get cramp every night then it would be worth a try, But I don't think its a gin and tonic!!!!! lots of love
dejay
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:18 pm

painprincess1 wrote:Don't laugh but I've been told a bar of soap by your feet in bed really helps.

Sleeping with your feet on a bar of soap is said to help with restless legs as well :roll: :roll: :roll:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby padders » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:33 pm

I have had this for many years and have had to start taking drugs to help with them. I got to the point that my legs were cramping all day every day for hours and i couldnt do anything avout it. Rubbing them or walking just stopped working so i had no alternative. I hope you get sorted soon x
padders
UKFM Member

Postby JDWench » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:45 pm

Thanks guys,
Someone recommended bananas too? Something has got to give, it's driving me crazy!
JDWench
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:28 pm

My surgeon suggested "Arnica Gel" Make sure you get 100%. It is a natural product, it smells but it helps. You can get it at the pharmacy or a health food shop. I have OA throughout my whole body and it does work.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby zappa20 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:11 am

Leg cramps are a very common problem and often the reason why they occur is unknown. Common reasons are lack of salt, potassium, lack of exercise, staying in prolonged positions etc.

Bananas and kiwi fruit cab help if the cause is lack of potassium. Tonic water contains quinine but you'd need to drink a few gallons to get enough to help. I've frequent leg cramps due to poor blood supply in legs and was given Quinine tablets but they can have awful side effects so aren't suitable for many people. I choked on my tea when reading some of the side effects which if thet occurred to immediately see your GP . It included Sudden death! Think it might be a bit too late if that was one you experienced. Lol obviously must be very rare.

My MIL suffered tinnitus as a side effect of taking them but it stopped when she stopped taking them.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby JDWench » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:51 am

The only thing I've not tried yet is bananas. I'm still suffering, it hurts to stand first thing so much and I feel like if I don't concentrate I'll walk like bambi! Hopefully it'll sort itself. I've never drank so much tonic water!
JDWench
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia