Pain and Flare ups

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Pain and Flare ups

Postby Louloubelle101 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:47 pm

I normally manage quite well with my fibro - I generally have aches and pains everyday and am often very tired but I persevere. I try to have a plan for my day so I know when I can have a rest after doing some jobs and I find that this really helps. One thing that really gets me though is the pain in my lower back and hips, most especially my right hip. The pain can be almost unbearable and I also feel a burning sensation. I also get severe pain in my shoulders at times. However, I recently had 2 flare ups in quick succession and they absolutely floored me. The pain and tiredness was beyond anything I had experienced for quite some time and the second flare up affected my back so badly that I couldn't breathe properly due to the pain being so bad that I actually cried. I've tried amitriptyline and gabapentin but they did nothing for me. I also tried naproxen, which didn't help either. I am now taking codeine, ibuprofen and paracetamol which helps at times, but not with the flare ups. I've been to the doctor more than once but I've been told that the next step is tramadol, which I'd rather not use for various reasons. I would really appreciate any advice
Louloubelle101
UKFM Newbie

Re: Pain and Flare ups

Postby dustyella » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:03 pm

I take Morphine patches when I'm really bad and I get also get terrible pains in my hips due to bursitis,arthritis,loss of tendon and tendon pathology, it's worth having an mri to find out whats going on with your hips,when I get a flare up I find my shoulder blade( The bone in my back)is soooooooo painful then the rest follows,i get terrible cramps in my feet at night and have the most awful nights sleep like so many others with fibro its such a cruel disease
dustyella
UKFM Newbie

Postby Amberk » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:48 pm

Hi, I'm the same as both of you i take morphine trazadone and pregabalin, and ibruproen They help enough so i can get up although ive found. Not much helps totally.
ive had morphine patches and tramadol also a,couple of others.
unfortunately it is a HORRID illness and all days we're tested with something or lots of things, but never have no pain.
i also plan my days so i can rest in-between and a day every other to simply sit, if i can get comfy enough ånd chill.
Amberk
UKFM Member

Postby Louloubelle101 » Sun May 18, 2014 3:35 pm

thanks for your replies, it's helped to know what to speak to the dr about. Mind you, I recently spoke with one dr who just said that I'd be better off exercising rather than medication but did offer me tramadol. I did try the tramadol but it just made me itch all over :( Needless to say, I've got another appointment with a different dr in the next few days and I hope I get on better this time
Louloubelle101
UKFM Newbie

Postby Theresa34 » Sun May 18, 2014 5:19 pm

How high is the dose of tramadol? I take 50mg three times a day, four hours apart. I accidentally took one two hours after the last and I had horrendous itching and nausea. So high dose can cause this or taking them too close together. Exercise is the best medicine for me. Your dr is right x You've just got to force yourself to move x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby zappa20 » Sun May 18, 2014 7:04 pm

Theresa34 wrote:. Exercise is the best medicine for me. Your dr is right x You've just got to force yourself to move x

Theresa I so agree with you. I've been free of Fibro symptoms for nearly 6 years now and the key for me was stretching exercises to free up my stiffness, change of sleep pattern, and a 100% belief that things could improve.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Sun May 18, 2014 7:38 pm

zappa20 wrote:
Theresa34 wrote:. Exercise is the best medicine for me. Your dr is right x You've just got to force yourself to move x

Theresa I so agree with you. I've been free of Fibro symptoms for nearly 6 years now and the key for me was stretching exercises to free up my stiffness, change of sleep pattern, and a 100% belief that things could improve.

We are reading from the same page :-) I will be starting Pilates to help with stretches :-D And I'm very positive x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby hippychick » Thu May 22, 2014 8:24 am

And ohhhhh how I miss my daily swims! Reason I'm missing them is because I used to always go to the Early Bird session, (7.30am), where the pool is sectioned off in 3 lanes for the slow, medium speed and fast swimmers, (and believe it or not, I AM a fast swimmer even though I don't use my legs at all coz if I do, I get awful cramp very quickly in both feet. I can literally swim for miles using arms only :crazy: ), and since we all go around the lane in the same direction there's much less likelihood of being bumped into or whacked with a wayward arm coz BOY we all know how THAT can hurt a fibromite.

But coz my blessed fibro and CFS are making me sooooo exhausted, while I may well be up in time to make the early bird swimming session, you can bet your boots that I'll have nodded off once again in the armchair and wake up too late to make it :scream-1: Consequently, I am missing my morning swims! I've had days when I've then thought to myself that I'll make it for the lunch time swim when, once again the pool is sectioned off and this time it's every lane roped off and everybody swims up and down them in the same direction so less whacking hazards. BUT then.........lunch time swim session is approaching, I may even have got as far as putting my swimming costume on under my clothes, (and reminding myself to pack a pair of drawers into my bag of course for the return journey :oops: Have forgotten to do that twice over the years.........ohhhh the shame of having to go commando and praying I don't have a car accident on the way home!), but you can bet your flipping boots that I will once again have......NODDED OFF!!!!!!!!!!

Hubby 'kindly' leaves me asleep on my recliner armchair but in all honesty I'd really rather he tried to wake me up JUST in the feint hope that I might actually have enuff energy to hobble out to the car and drive the 5 minutes to the pool, then still have enuff energy to hobble the few yards into the foyer from the disabled parking bays and still have the energy to remove outdoor clothing, apply all me required supports, (both wrists and thumbs, elbows and knees :lol: end up looking like neoprene woman :crazy: ), and then STILL have enuff energy left o actually get into the water!

Cannot wait for me hols for the 1st 3 weeks in July coz there's more chance for me to be able to make it into the luvly heated outdoor pool there since it's only a short hobble from our touring caravan's pitch! Last year I made it in the pool 3 times which in 3 weeks aint marvellous but hey....it was a start :oops:

Beauty of going on your hols before the kiddiewinks break up for their school hols is that the pool ain't very often full even with the heatwave we had last year, there was still a maximum of about a dozen peeps in the pool! :chicken-dance: :chicken-dance: :chicken-dance:

Gentle huggles,
Hippy
hippychick
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia