Disability Stereotypes

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Disability Stereotypes

Postby PolkaBunny » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:28 am

Does anyone else get fed up with stereotypes?! It really irritates me when people just "assume" you couldn't possibility have a disability. I don't know what it's like for you all personally, but for me - I just get really annoyed because people see a young person (26) , in dresses and having what appears to be a nice time out and about (not knowing thats one good day in so many bad ones!) and they make snide comments when you use a disabled toilet etc!

It happened at a Gary Barlow concert I went to with my mum as her birthday present, and I was in so much pain. My back ache was awful, and when we were in the arena i went to go to the toilet and the queue was HUGE so I went in the disabled toilet, Im allowed as I am actually registered disabled. And someone made a really loud comment about how rude I was to do so!!

It makes me so angry! Its summed up better in my blog post if anyone fancies a read http://thefibroeffect.blogspot.co.uk/
PolkaBunny
UKFM Member

Re: Disability Stereotypes

Postby denys » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:32 am

Sadly it happens a lot and to a lot of people, really dont know what the answer is :?: :?: :?:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby whoami » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:23 am

I think that this issue is a big thing for those of us with an illness such as fibro. I have had the same thing...you don't look like you have a problem.....or you can't be disabled, you aren't half as bad as I am.

One thing I always say is that we owe no explanation. We do not have to justify the fact we have a parking permit or that we have exemptions.

I was asked why I needed a special parking space years ago by my landlords property manager. I said I have a permit. She said well I don't think you need one so I'm not going to assign one. I called the owner of the building. Sadly the owner fired the property manager. I got the spot.

Here in Ontario and I will think all of Canada, nobody can ask you why you have that permit, not a police officer, parking officer, your boss,. A different Dr. ..nobody. You do not have to give the reason.

It is hard but we can only hope that people get educated, I tell people about my condition once if I want to. If they do not believe me then that is their problem, not mine.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby painprincess1 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:20 pm

Well I'd have to say stuff erm all your can do is go up to these ppl and say hay I have fibro asshole if u don't no what that is google it and walk off.other then that ignor them. Sorry not in a great mood today xxxxx
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:52 pm

Not likely to happen to me, but if it did I'd be inclined to say something like, "actually, I have terminal and extensive cancer, this is a wig, I have less than a month to live, how kind of you to tell me how well I look for a walking corpse, I'm sure my family will be greatly comforted when I look alive in my coffin."
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:18 pm

I have to admit, being a rebel without a clue these days, I'd be doing something similar to what SC has said, if only to see the look on the faces of those staring and making the comments. After being hassled by various people over the years, esp ones trying to sell me something I've already said I don't want, I've found a few carefully chosen words explaining some of the problems about FM~incurable condition, no idea what the future holds, in lots of pain because I've had to stand and speak to someone, barely able to manage it etc etc, but without actually naming it, usually brings about this sort of reaction, esp when I have to be supported by OH when I make my escape :girl_moon: :girl_moon: :girl_moon: :girl_moon: :girl_moon:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia