tooth and jaw ache

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

tooth and jaw ache

Postby Dottylin » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:18 pm

Does anyone else get this, for the past two weeks or so I have had unbelivable pain in my jaw, back teeth and in front of my ear on the right, I have been to the dentist and he's taken x rays and says there is nothing ammiss with my teeth, I'm now wondering if it is neuralgia, or just a flare up, as I get flare ups in the stranges to places, the other night the tip of my thumb had shooting pains in it for about half an hour and was unbearabley painfull!-- weird!! :roll:
Dottylin
UKFM Member

Re: tooth and jaw ache

Postby Garyl » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:26 pm

Not the teeth or Jaw, but this came up as am in pain with my right thumb just rubbed a canadian heat rub that works for me in to it to ease pain
Garyl
UKFM Member

Postby Dottylin » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:29 pm

Hope that helps you, don't we get some weird pains with this condition? :roll:
Dottylin
UKFM Member

Postby Ruthyboo » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:34 pm

Oh yes. I get unbearable pain in all of my top teeth. Nothing seems to help me.
I get a lot of sore throats too which I wonder if thay are connected.
Has any one mentioned Trigeminal Neuralgia?
Ruthyboo
UKFM Member

Postby Garyl » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:36 pm

Yes the pains are in weird places as you say, thumb pain is easing now, for me worse place is left ear and side of head where it is, did have a cancer tumour taken away 30 years ago from that area.. But i am sure it is to do with Fibro
Garyl
UKFM Member

Postby Dottylin » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:46 pm

yes ruth I'm a nurse and have thought it might be trigeminal neuralgia but didn't think I would actually get toothache with this, thought it was more pain in the face/ cheek :nono:
Dottylin
UKFM Member

Postby katiepops » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:52 pm

Yes, I get absolutely unbearable pain in my teeth on the right side too! This ruined a holiday. The pain is also just below my ear (in my upper neck) and it all feels like I have bad tooth ache. So much so that I went to my dentist and asked him to remove all my teeth as I just could not bear it any longer. Pain killers weren't even touching it! He X-rayed them, tapped them all (I didn't even flinch) and told me that it was my Fibro playing up. This lasted about 2 weeks, then very gradually subsided. You are not alone!!
katiepops
UKFM Newbie

Postby Princess mango » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:37 pm

I have tooth ache/pain almost all the time, it an be really bad and sometimes it's just in the background. I can feel each one of my teeth, sometimes my jaw hurts and it clunks and clicks all the time. I have mentioned it to my rheumy, but she is dealing with more pressing problems I expect it will be dealt with at some point. It seems to be worse when I have other pains. Just think it's part if the fibro.
Princess mango
UKFM Newbie

Postby Marky Fibro ME » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:05 pm

Trigeminal neuralgia affects the trigeminal nerve which supplies the side of the face and jaw. So yes it is possible/feasible that you would feel pain in your teeth. However, I suffer with fibro & M.E. and I sometimes suffer with pain in my jaw and/or teeth too. Having said that, I have wondered if it was down to grinding my teeth while asleep because it always seems to be worse inthe mornings.
Hope this helps or inspires. x
Marky Fibro ME
UKFM Member

Postby Hardy girl » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:36 pm

I carnt believe there are so many with this complaint. I did have a jaw injury and 8 operations that kick started my FB but I think now part of it is down to the tension I suffer in sleep. I tend to hold my jaw tight which causes pain in teeth and jaw and ear ache !
Hardy girl
UKFM Newbie

Postby Suse » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:58 pm

I was diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia before my fibro even though I've probably had the fibro for a lot longer. Anyway, I have it on both sides of my face in all three branches which gives shooting pains, tooth ache, ear ache, stabbing pains, what felt like burning behind my eyes and headache. All of which can be kept under control if you are lucky with epilepsy drugs. Check out www.tna.org.uk as you will find a lot of info on there. For that I take Gabapentin, Topirimate and Amitrityline. Each for a different aspect of it. It took me a year to sort out the right medication that suited me. I kept a diary religiously of the side effects until I found ones that suited me so I wasn't a zombie. I am on morphine as well now for the fibro, but I am alive enough to drive safety. Good luck my friend. Xxx
Suse
UKFM Newbie

Postby faith85 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:51 am

iv had jaw ache since i was 10 im now 28 and still have it i had lots of x rays to thay said i was fine my jaw allways clicks like mad it is just fibro im sad to say x
faith85
UKFM Newbie

Postby Revjan » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:46 pm

Dotty link, you don't mention your age, but ask your GP or Rheumy to check you for Temporal Arteritis, another auto-immune disease which causes inflammation in the artery in your temples. It gives you terrible pain in your jaw, teeth, scalp etc and can cause blurred vision, and if left untreated can damage the eyesight so it's important to get an early diagnosis.
The reason I mentioned age is that it is usually just people over 50 who get it. However, I've had it since I was 46 so never say never!
Good luck and I really hope, for your sake, it's not TA xx
Revjan
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:22 pm

The shooting pain u had in your thumb I get in my big toes omg it hurts and nothing stops it.
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby Dottylin » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:39 pm

well thank you all for your replies, at least now I know that it is probably the fibro, its not really in my temple at all but I will check that out as well tho when I go see my gp, as I am 61, (when I can get an appointment!) our appointment system is abbysmal, I have always managed befor on just 35 mg of amytriptaline at night and co-codamol when needed but I think maybe I need something more if it is going to continue, I just have never had it in my teeth/face/ear before, the sharp pains have only affected me bodywise. I do have osteo as well , especially in my neck so wondered if that too could be adding to it. :nono: Thanks again all
Dottylin
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia