Pain like bee sting, nails separating, sores

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Pain like bee sting, nails separating, sores

Postby Karou » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:26 am

Hi all,

I was wondering if this is something I could put down to Fibro?

Some of my fingernails have started to separate from the finger near the tip. It's not more than a quarter of the individual nails, doesn't hurt when touched, but randomly gets annoyed. Is transparent atfirst but thenturns white like a nail tip does.

I've had pain in my hands for a while now. Last night I wokeup because in my dream I was trying to open a bottle but pain like hot electricity shot through my arm and it made a really strange movement before hitting the fridge door. :crazy: The moment it did is when I woke up and my fingers near the nails felt like a bee had stung them all. They were throbbing and very painful. My hand was on the pillow, I'm sure I didn't knock anything.

Might not be related but I'm also getting a sore tongue ( looks normal, no bumps or other weird things) and roof of mouth. There's a small red spot on the roof of my mouth that hurts and one at the back of my throat. No sore throat though. I bruise easily, insect bites or otherminor injuries take forever to heal. I can still see the flea bite marks from June last year.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I'll be getting an EMG to check for carpal tunnel syndrome but that wouldn't explain the nails. I've been tested for rheumatoid arthritis but test came back negative. I do have a bulging disc in my neck that is slightly putting a dent into the spinal cord but doctors say that shouldn't cause any trouble. Doing a web search showed lupus and psoriasis / psoriatic arthritis but I obviously wouldn't know.

Any thoughts on this would be welcome.
Gentle :hugs: :hugs: , Karou

“Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.” - Brimstone
Karou
UKFM Member

Re: Pain like bee sting, nails separating, sores

Postby Terilassie » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:13 am

Sorry to hear that but it sounds like pscorriatic arthritis. By boyfriend has it and what you are describing with your hands and nails he has. I think you need to ask your rheumatologist x.
Terilassie
UKFM Newbie

Postby tiny229 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:37 am

I was relieved when I read your post as I too have the symptoms that you have with your hands and that it just how I describe the pain in my fingers ....just like bee stings ...you feel so alone when nobody else that you talk to has the same symptoms and it is hard to tell what is linked to fybro and what isnt ....Also my mouth and scalp get sores at regular intervals .....cant give you any advice as havent found anything that relieves these symptoms but sympathise as I really do know how hard it is to manage them
tiny229
UKFM Member

Postby kitty4 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:25 am

Hi there, can I ask when you said your arm made a "really strange movement" did you dream that? Or were you awake???
My arms and hands frequently "jerk", its like they suddenly lose power, like a split second power cut from my brain. If I'm holding anything in my hands I drop it.
Does anybody else suffer from this? Does anyone know if its related to fibro?
I'm actually scared to go to my doctor, I'm afraid of what it might be...but I'd welcome any advice....
:cat1:
kitty4
UKFM Newbie

Postby Karou » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:09 pm

Thanks for your replies. :-)

Terilassie, do you know if there are any special tests needed to rule out psoriatic arthritis? I've recently had blood taken for rheumatoid arthritis so I'm wondering if it would've shown. No idea how this all works lol

tiny, I know what you mean. I've had moments where I felt too strange to post here and ask but then someone else described my symptoms and I was relieved to know it's not just me. Guess Fibro likes making new nasty friends and invites them to a party. And our bodies are paying the bill. :roll: I'm glad you mentioned your scalp because I'm writing a list of questions for my GP. Forgot that I've been getting these bumps that feel like spots on my neck near the hairline. My friend gave me some anbesol yesterday, it really helped to calm down my tongue and roof of mouth. Doesn't last forever but at least a little bit. :dunno:

kitty, I'm not sure if I was fully awake. Might have been half asleep still but it felt like my arm did move and so far I somehow knew if it was a dream or not. Hope that makes sense. The movement started with my ring finger curling towardsmy palm and then my arm did this wave-like ...uh....jerk? Twitch? Only took what felt like a split second and what you're saying makes sense to me about the temporary power cut. It was like my arm didn't know what I wanted it to do. This has happened before when I was fully awake and nearly resulted in me taking a shower in my cup of tea.
Gentle :hugs: :hugs: , Karou

“Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.” - Brimstone
Karou
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia