Sugar making us feel worse?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Sugar making us feel worse?

Postby Theresa34 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:38 am

I woke up this morning feeling the worst I have felt in a few weeks. I went online to find out whether it could be food related, when I came across some articles saying sugar can cause a bad flare. I thought about yesterday and realised that I had had a lot of sugar. A few weeks I went off my food in the run up of flu and I didnt have all these aches and pains that I have when I am eating.

How does sugar affect you? I am not planning a radical diet change and i can never give up my coffee. If I dont have it, I get horrendous headaches and feel aick although I am not against cutting back. The though now is, perhaps cutting back sugar greatly could possibly help me?
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Re: Sugar making us feel worse?

Postby carolad » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:01 pm

I have heard of this before so I think it is definitely worth trying. I have completely changed my diet recently...eating less sugar and carbohydrate, more fat and protein - it seems to be current thinking that this is a healthier diet for everyone, not just people with fibromyalgia. A high sugar/high carbohydrate diet contributes to inflammation in the body so cutting down your intake may help with a range of conditions.

Definitely worth a try - you have nothing to lose :)
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby Jeany » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:19 pm

I know if I eat a lot of sweets it affects my IBS, BUT after 30 years taking sweetex in my cuppa I have given them up and now take half a teaspoon of sugar. The sweetnex and powdered sweetner were giving me diarrhea, and also making me feel constantly hungry.

It has only been 2 weeks since I gave up sweetners but my stomach is no longer bloated, and this has been a problem for years. Looking back now I really believe that when I starting using them was when the bloating started AND the uncontrolable appetite also.

Maybe this is why there is such a problem with obesity now, because soft drink, yogurts and a whole lot more are loaded with artifial sweetner, and it increases the appetite.

I have also almost given up bread and pasta, and just have them very occasionally as wheat seems to bloat me immediately.
Jeany
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:27 pm

Do you both mind giving me an example of your breakfasts and lunches? And snacks? I am thinking maybe cutting down the sugar and see where it gets me. I used to use sweetners for my hot drinks but changed back to one sugar in them and some cereals. I didnt change from them for any health reasons. Everyone in my family used normal sugar so just changed back.
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:41 pm

I have a gluten intolerance and I'm vegetarian so that restricts me further...but breakfast for me would be gluten free porridge with organic whole milk. I sometimes have gluten free cereal flakes but they have added sugar so I try not to have that too often. Same applies with toast - bread (regular and gluten free) has added sugar so best taken in moderation. Eggs are a good option - unfortunately I don't like the taste of them though!

Lunch is full fat greek yoghurt and fruit (fruit is full of sugar but I think naturally occurring sugar is less harmful than sugar in processed food) or cheese/cottage cheese and gluten free crackers, or soup (but watch out for hidden sugar in soups you buy) or a bean salad. For snacks...fruit and lots of nuts! Nuts are great - full of protein and 'good' fats. And natural nut butters are great too - again, not the regular varieties you buy in supermarkets because they are full of added sugar and salt and other ingredients. But you can buy good quality nut butter which is made only from nuts, nothing else - available from Health Food shops.

I would definitely try and avoid sweeteners and anything that isn't 'natural'. And I avoid anything that says 'low fat' because it is usually laden with added sugar and salt to make it taste better.

Good luck with it - I hope it helps :) x
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby liny12 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:46 pm

I have ME and fibromyalgia and I too have experienced what sugar overload can do. Also when I start to feel really bad I get itchiness and rashes on my skin. Does anyone else experience this
liny12
UKFM Newbie

Postby kp007 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:00 pm

Hi, I have ME and fibromyalgia also as well as other conditions...it is true that sugar causes crashes and maybe flared..but please please do notsub your sugar for artificial sweetners, diet drinks etc as they are far worse and cause bigger crashes in energy etc.
kp007
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:05 pm

Liny I dont tend to get rashes although a few days ago I suddenly got really itchy on my chest and as soon as I started scratching I had littly dots. This isnt the norm dor me but it went away soon after I stopped scratching.

Carol my daughter is gluten free due to coeliacs. I have seen how restricted that diet is. I tried it but didnt last the day! I am neg for the bloods. I did go for endoscopy because of stomach pain but they kept me awake, didnt wait for the meds to calm me to work and had to abort the whole thing! Horrible.

Anyway, I am a terribly fussy eater but i really want to change certain things like the sugar intake. I dont eat much veg, preder potatoes and onions only in curries or stews. I do enjoy fruit, fresh and canned. My breakfasts are either porridge with some sugar or coco pops without sugar as its very sweet. Thank you for mentioning low in fat products. I will keep an eye out on the amount of sugar in those. I do try go for low fat options x
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:45 pm

Sugar like chocolate brings out some symptoms rather quickly. Too much and my throat and mouth gets sore. My urine has a funny smell as does my breath. I get migraines and feel nauseous. It can also give me diarrhea, bad!

We all are told too much white sugar is not good for anyone, not just us lot with fibro.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby cdcrossy » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:16 pm

hi just seen this on sugar and i used to be a bad diet pepsi drinker and robinsons drink mad then someone told me about aspartame in foods and drinks i would look it up i was shocked to revel that it can make u very sick i watched one video and a woman was bed bound and after 4 months of not having aspartame in her diet was up and about so serious google the affects of aspartame you will be shocked as i was. it is in anything artificial sweeteners etc u will be amazed what its in and it used to be illegal.
cdcrossy
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:12 pm

Theresa34 wrote:Thank you for mentioning low in fat products. I will keep an eye out on the amount of sugar in those. I do try go for low fat options x

Thought you might find this interesting:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healt ... sugar.html

It has been drummed into us for years that 'low fat' means 'healthy' - I used to buy all low fat versions of products, thinking they were better for me. But recent research seems to show that full fat is actually better for you - even for people trying to lose weight. Sugar is a bigger enemy to our health than fat...we need some fat in our diet but we don't need sugar at all...and too much sugar is definitely bad for you. The problem is it is hidden in so many food products so you really need to read labels to be aware. Breakfast cereals and cereal bars are some of the worst offenders - they are marketed as 'healthy' but they are full of sugar and really have very little nutrition. So don't believe the adverts - look closely at the label to see what you are eating :)

And I agree with what others have said about artificial sweeteners - horrible chemicals that shouldn't be allowed as food! I think the best guide is to base your diet on non-processed food - then you know you are eating a natural product that hasn't had any 'nasties' added to it :)
carolad
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia