Dry, stuffy nose

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Dry, stuffy nose

Postby Karou » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:45 pm

Hi,

My nose has always been blocked on one side during the night and I can only breathe properly throughthe side that's on top. I'm a side sleeper and when I turn, the blockage shifts to the other side. It's not a cold and not a runny nose, just blocked and ( bit gross) the skin inside my right nostril is extremely dry and there's a sore that dries up crusty and painful unless I put bepanthen on it.

For a few days now my nose is blocked whenever I try to rest, starting around mid afternoon. It gets slightly better when I get up but I can't walk around all the time. :crazy: Anti histamines don't work, neither does trying to blow my nose or mint oil. I don't really want to use nasal spray as I have been dependant in the past after a nasty cold and it took what felt like forever to get my nose to stay open without.

Does anyone else get this? What do you do to get some relief?

Wondering if it's Fibro or if I need to mention it to GP. It's just soooooo irritating and I always need some water near the bed because my mouth and throat feel dry.
Gentle :hugs: :hugs: , Karou

“Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.” - Brimstone
Karou
UKFM Member

Re: Dry, stuffy nose

Postby scampikat » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:18 am

Hi Karou
I get a stuffy nose, haven't bothered telling doctor's about it as it will get blamed on the fibro, but i take Sudafed Decongestant Tablets they are little red tablets and they seem to work. I dont take them everyday but it helps me. hope this helps xx
scampikat
UKFM Newbie

Postby whoami » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:47 am

Check with your Dr or pharmacist before using any over the counter decongestant. They can not be taken with some meds

If your nose is constantly dry, stuffed and you do get a sore, it should be checked by your Dr.
Last edited by whoami on Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby trigger » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:23 am

Hi Karou
do you find that you get out of breath as well when doing things like walking and talking? as i to suffer the same as you i had to have some cream from the doctors for the sore in my nose as over the counter did not work. I all so find it gets worse when i get a cold life suck's :-)
trigger
UKFM Member

Postby coletalbot » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:32 am

Are you sure it's not hayfever? The rape has been out for a few weeks now & it always starts me off.
coletalbot
UKFM Member

Postby Karou » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:41 pm

Hiya,
Thanks all for replying.

Thanks for reminding me, whoami, that's a good point. I keep thinking I'm ok, like before Fibro. Obviously not and I'm taking a lot of meds. Really glad you said this. I thought it's just a sore but keeps coming back. Oh and when I cry the whole inside of my nose swells up so much, I can't breathe. :-|

Trigger, yes, I actually told my doctor that even after just one and a half normal flight of stairs I'm out of breath. I know I'm not as fit as I used to be but being out of breath this quick I do find strange. What's this cream called? Just so I can ask my doctor if it would be suitable. They somehow seem more interested in helping when I can suggest something, even though my idea might not at all be the right one.

coletalbot, quite sure but not absolutely lol I've tried two different non drowsy otc tablets even though I normally only suffer around June till August. Had some allergy tests done ten years ago that were negative. Maybe it's time for another?

Karou
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:26 am

I've been like that for years I. Fact last night I was dreaming I couldn't breath guess what I couldn't woke up stuffed up.soo. As I stand up it goes has anyone looked at your sinuses . Or at the inside of your nose to see if it's the right shape up there. After a op I was great for nearly ten years , turned out not only did I have bad sinus but the bone in my nose was bent and they had to brake it . So maybe get dr to send u to the hospital xxx
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby Karou » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:50 pm

Thanks painprincess, I'll mention it to my doctor next week. Nobody ever checked inside my nose. Funny how I always assume everything must be ok because no one looked... But if it was I wouldn't have these symptoms lol
So they broke your nose? Oh my, that sounds painful! Sorry to hear you're getting a stuffy nose again. :(

Karou
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia