No continuity

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

No continuity

Postby sdv2712 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:23 am

I have recently been told I have fibro. In a few short weeks I have seen 4 different Drs. The first one said I have FM, that there is no cure, to take co- codamol and ibuprofen and get on with it.

As the pain intensified and started to become more frequent, I went back to the Drs...a different one. This one put me on one 10mg Nortriptyline each night for the pain. Forgetting to mention that they are low dose anti-depressants which take up to 6 weeks to work. I assumed they were real painkillers.

Just over 3 weeks later...most of those days in crippling pain...I couldn't stand the pain any longer and ended up at A&E. After the initial assessment I was told to wait and talk to a Dr if I want heavy duty pain relief. The Dr was very understanding and sympathetic, which is always a good sign, and he told me that they couldn't give me morphine right away as they have to work their way up to it. He then gave me 2x60mg Codeine tablets and told me to wait a while. After 20 minutes he called me back in and asked me to lay down so he could examine the painful areas.

Once he had finished manipulating me I eventually managed to sit up and started gagging because of the pain...the Codeine had done nothing. He then gave me a prescription for Oramorph 10mg (with instructions NOT to take Tramadol or Codeine while on the Morphine). He also instructed me to get to the GP and get them to refer me to the pain clinic ASAP and to get my medication sorted out properly.

So, on Monday morning I pop in to my local health center to see Dr no4. This one took me off the morphine...which took the worst of the pain away. She told me I didn't need the pain clinic but was going to refer me to an exoskeletal something or other consultant. She then proceeded to give me a prescription for 'really strong' 30mg Codeine tablets, paracetamol, doubled up the Nortriptyline, laxative powders (to counteract the Codeine) and told me to get antihistamines for the itchiness. she then tells me that if I have a really bad attack that I can then take the Morphine.

I'm now wondering why one say not to mix the drugs and the other one said I can! Also, the Nortriptyline and Morphine don't go well together. I truly appreciated the time I spent with the pain under control but am now wondering all these meds and contradictions are going to effect me in the long-term.

Another thing, my friend has FM too, but she can still get about with hers and when it gets bad she sits in her woods and relaxes. When mine is bad I can hardly move and am sobbing like a baby. Am I being dramatic or is there considerable variation person to person?
Last edited by denys on Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split paragraphs to make reading easier
sdv2712
UKFM Newbie

Re: No continuity

Postby jansummerwind » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:44 am

No You are not being a baby. My Fibro is debilitating. I've had people say to me , Oh I have Fibro, yet they work dance , walk everywhere. If you have it you certainly know about it. Finding a sympathetic doctor is the key. Luckily mine is very good. unfortunately, she has been unable as yet to find the right meds for me. Don't give up my love, you'll get there x
jansummerwind
UKFM Newbie

Postby scaboo » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:17 am

I know its difficult I was diagnosed 6 years ago with fm and it is a struggle to get your meds right, about morphine your gp was right about taking you off morphine as in short term its ok but your body ends up needing higher and higher doses to help with the pain . As with all painkillers its difficult and after time you find they begin to stop working , my advice would be take the painkillers regularly eg 4 times a day to get on top of the pain and if you can take ibuprofen 4 times a day I found taking the codine every 6 hours then I would take ibruprofen in between say 3 hrs after codine etc keep up with the nortriptyline (I am on amitriptyline) yes they are an old style antidepressant but they do work with pain also muscle rub can help a little , everybody is different and what works for one doesn't do everybody but I know from experience that you will try anything.

Give yourself a few weeks and then try talking to your gp about pain clinic they do help you to manage your pain and a lot of pain clinics do special groups for people with fm they are an 8 week course few hrs once a week and you learn about meds , sleep problems, pacing yourself and have a lot of information on chronic pain and helping you to manage the pain. Anyway really feel for you and its not always as bad as this and you are not on your own even though it feels like it take care of yourself .
scaboo
UKFM Newbie

Postby chrissyluck » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:57 am

Your gp's right in sending you to the hospital this is the last resource. They will do all sorts of test to rule out any other illness,s
After 2 years of my gp trying everything I was sent to muscularskeletel department. Then when they ruled out everything else I was diagnosed with fm. They also found out I was vitamin D deficient which a lot of fm patients are.
chrissyluck
UKFM Newbie

Postby painprincess1 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:18 am

Hi sugar and welcome. First off try to stick with one dr you like and trust as different dr have different views so u will always. Get confused. The last dr sounded pretty good. The thing is it takes time for any new meds to work and I mean 6 week .most of us here have had to go back to the dr over and over to get the meds that work for us just right.i have 4 kids and a puppy some days I can work like a demon and then other I look like a old lady of 90. If I have a flare I feel like I have bad flu and my skin hurts all over.

So everyone in here is different . Some ppl like me find moving really easies the pain, and stops us going stiff. Others can't or dare not do to much as the pain is to much.also just because your friend can cope don't mean it won't hit her like a ton of brick one day.and I might add I. Time you might find your pain lessons and u can do more. But you need to get the meds right. Pls find a dr u like and stick with what they tell u. I have a dr I only ever see for fibro, his abit of a know all. And can be nice one day and sod all the next.

But he knows from my notes I only see him and trust him this builds up and kinda trust between us and he knows if I'm not happy il say so. But he also knows if he says take this or take that il believe he is doing his best.ive told him I only seenu for this as I trust u so u tell me what I need.lol
Don't get me wrong I don't believe his right about everything but having a dr that knows your ins and outs really helps.l
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:10 pm

Hi and firstly :welcome: to the forum FM differs considerably from person to person and meds can take quite a while to get sorted out :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: yours is sorted soon. I have split your post up into smaller paragraphs to make reading it easier as FM can also make it difficult to understand large blocks of text :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby sdv2712 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:15 pm

jansummerwind wrote:No You are not being a baby. My Fibro is debilitating. I've had people say to me , Oh I have Fibro, yet they work dance , walk everywhere. If you have it you certainly know about it. Finding a sympathetic doctor is the key. Luckily mine is very good. unfortunately, she has been unable as yet to find the right meds for me. Don't give up my love, you'll get there x

Thank you for your kind words. I will try and stick with 1 dr, fingers crossed he is there when I need him.
sdv2712
UKFM Newbie

Postby sdv2712 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:55 pm

scaboo wrote:I know its difficult I was diagnosed 6 years ago with fm and it is a struggle to get your meds right, about morphine your gp was right about taking you off morphine as in short term its ok but your body ends up needing higher and higher doses to help with the pain . As with all painkillers its difficult and after time you find they begin to stop working , my advice would be take the painkillers regularly eg 4 times a day to get on top of the pain and if you can take ibuprofen 4 times a day I found taking the codine every 6 hours then I would take ibruaprofen in between say 3 hrs after codine etc keep up with the nortriptyline (I am on amitriptyline) yes they are an old style antidepressant but they do work with pain also muscle rub can help a little , everybody is different and what works for one doesn't do everybody but I know from experience that you will try anything.

Give yourself a few weeks and then try talking to your gp about pain clinic they do help you to manage your pain and a lot of pain clinics do special groups for people with fm they are an 8 week course few hrs once a week and you learn about meds , sleep problems, pacing yourself and have a lot of information on chronic pain and helping you to manage the pain. Anyway really feel for you and its not always as bad as this and you are not on your own even though it feels like it take care of yourself .

I have been on Nortriptyline for a month but it's just been doubled...I'll swallow whatever they throw at me to ease the pain, even if the side effects are nasty they aren't as bad as the pain.

I know I can't stay on the morphine, all I wanted at the time was a break from the pain, just a little while to gather myself. At least I know that if it gets that painful again then I have it there as back up. The other pains I am getting used to. :)
sdv2712
UKFM Newbie

Postby sdv2712 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:07 pm

painprincess1 wrote:Hi sugar and welcome. First off try to stick with one dr you like and trust as different dr have different views so u will always. Get confused. The last dr sounded pretty good. The thing is it takes time for any new meds to work and I mean 6 week .most of us here have had to go back to the dr over and over to get the meds that work for us just right.i have 4 kids and a puppy some days I can work like a demon and then other I look like a old lady of 90. If I have a flare I feel like I have bad flu and my skin hurts all over.

So everyone in here is different . Some ppl like me find moving really easies the pain, and stops us going stiff. Others can't or dare not do to much as the pain is to much.also just because your friend can cope don't mean it won't hit her like a ton of brick one day.and I might add I. Time you might find your pain lessons and u can do more. But you need to get the meds right. Pls find a dr u like and stick with what they tell u. I have a dr I only ever see for fibro, his abit of a know all. And can be nice one day and sod all the next.

But he knows from my notes I only see him and trust him this builds up and kinda trust between us and he knows if I'm not happy il say so. But he also knows if he says take this or take that il believe he is doing his best.ive told him I only seenu for this as I trust u so u tell me what I need.lol
Don't get me wrong I don't believe his right about everything but having a dr that knows your ins and outs really helps.l

Hello to you and thank you.
You are so right about seeing the same Dr but I'm starting to think none of them want me lol. The first one I saw told me a date to come back and he was on holiday when I called. The second one told me to see my usual Dr...but before this I rarely went to the drs, so have no idea who that is! The third one was the A&E Dr and the fourth one (I had her because it was the first ones day off) has told me to go back in a fortnight...while she is away on holiday.

I think my only recourse is to corner one and brand them
with my initials lol.
sdv2712
UKFM Newbie

Postby sdv2712 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:16 pm

chrissyluck wrote:Your gp's right in sending you to the hospital this is the last resource. They will do all sorts of test to rule out any other illness,s
After 2 years of my gp trying everything I was sent to muscularskeletel department. Then when they ruled out everything else I was diagnosed with fm. They also found out I was vitamin D deficient which a lot of fm patients are.

The muscularskeletal dept, that is where I'm being referred to. I forget half of what the drs say. As for other problems, I have IBS andhave just gone through the change...I have 5 months to go until I definitely say I'm post menopausal. On the whole, apart from being overweight, I was active and healthy. Now I can't potter in my garden...this time of year is all about the garden. :mrgreen:
sdv2712
UKFM Newbie

Postby sdv2712 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:24 pm

denys wrote:Hi and firstly :welcome: to the forum FM differs considerably from person to person and meds can take quite a while to get sorted out :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: yours is sorted soon. I have split your post up into smaller paragraphs to make reading it easier as FM can also make it difficult to understand large blocks of text :-D

Hi there, thank you for the edit, I talk in bulk and unfortunately I type like it too...especially when ranting :lol:

I have great faith that my meds will right soon. People get over this...not sure how yet, even though I have read some wild cures...coffee enemas aren't something I'm willing to try, it's not right putting anything in the 'exit' ;-)

Thank you again for making my diatribe legible :)
sdv2712
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:38 pm

You are very welcome, unfortunately most of the claims for 'cures' of FM are bogus and just a way of parting us from our hard earned money :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia