Writing and spelling

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Writing and spelling

Postby dejay » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:53 am

I used to be good at spelling and writing,used to get compliments on my writing and spelling was not a problem, but I dont know when it all went wrong, I struggle with spelling a simple word now, and I have to realy take my time to write, has any one have this happen.? It is as if my mind wont let me do what I want to do. also I am just learning the computer and using one finger to type, I go to press a letter but find I have pressed the wrong one andI cant see where it is wrong if you can understand what I mean,Does fm affect skills you once had?
dejay
UKFM Member

Re: Writing and spelling

Postby dee28 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:16 am

Hi dejay,

I struggle the same as you with words also I can go to a cupboard and not know what I need to make some simple dish which is really had for me as I was a chef for 40yrs until I could not work any longer due to Fm. I have found if you try not to stress over it, it makes it a bit easier but not always and it is easier said than done. Good luck. have a good and pain free day.
dee28
UKFM Newbie

Postby coletalbot » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:29 am

I've always been very good with words and spelling but I find myself forgetting a word I was going to say in the middle of a sentence & playing charades to try to remember it. Thank god for computer spell check. I've had to correct 2 words of this already. I also forget the names of everyday objects or get them mixed up things like microwave and dishwasher. Words I regularly forget I write down & stare at until I commit them to memory. My friends find it comical & like playing the game. It is so frustrating though sometimes when you can't remember the words to get your point across.
coletalbot
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:38 am

I've never been the worlds best speller and I'm not so neat when I write. But my spelling has got better funny enough, but I do go blank the simple words are the worsed,and if anyone makes me spell I go to bits as I no I'm going to go blank.i offen re read what I post and find a random word in there that's got nothing to do with what I'm talking about lol.
I do find being tired makes it worse.
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby Billsmum » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:29 am

Yes, I have the same problem it's ridiculous, I used to be a typesetter and do proof reading now I struggle to write a simple letter. Crazy! Sometimes I think I'm losing my marbles! I can never remember where I put things either and living with an untidy person doesn't help either because he just leaves things everywhere and never puts them back where they should be. So not help there!
Billsmum
UKFM Member

Postby DebiP10 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:41 am

i know exactly what your feeling :( ive started typing really bad, last night was the worst, spelling mistakes in everything i tried to type so kept going over it. I then went into the kitchen and totally forgot what i wanted, i felt like crying i was so frustrated and it seems to be getting more frequent and worse now. I know exactly what i want to say but it never comes out that way either from my mouth or when i type or write :(
DebiP10
UKFM Member

Postby nuttymoo » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:28 pm

Hi All,

I have the same problems too. I was good at reading and spelling etc. and love doing crosswords and puzzles but now I cannot spell the simplist of words or see the answers to my easy crosswords half the time. If I'm writing I know i'm pressing the wrong letter yet still do it.

In a conversation I will forget what the word is I want to say or lose the thread of the conversation or what subject I going to say about. I don't give up though I still do my puzzles on my Nintendo DS and I still attend my local Quiz on a Sunday night If I feel well enough. Like someone said the more you stress about it the worse you are. Tiredness also affects it too. Gentle hugs to you all. :crazy:
nuttymoo
UKFM Newbie

Postby dejay » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:56 pm

I am pleased to hear from others that they are having the same problems as i am ( not happy you have problems) I was worried I had something terrable wrong with me, It realy is good to talk to people who understand, my husband kept telling me to go to the dr which made matters worse, but I feel better now after reading everyones posts Thankyou!
dejay
UKFM Member

Postby paininthebum » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:36 am

I am so glad I found this site. I've had FM for over 15 years and never found any one I could talk to about my condition/illness. My husband can be supportive but this soon runs out! I'm having real problems with talking. I was talking to a baker in Morrison's and what came out of my mouth was just weird sounding sounds and not even the slightest like a real word. I was so embarrassed that I dropped my basket and ran out of the shop! But now at least i'm not alone
paininthebum
UKFM Newbie

Postby hazely » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:01 am

Hi I have the same problems everyone used to come to me for spellings and letter writing and now i have to go to them as some times i spell things wrong, put down the wrong word or just forget mid sentence what i am talking about.

I used to be a typist and administrator but now i struggle to write a shopping list. Sometimes when i am writing and typing my brain is thinking one word and i write or type another word. It was very scary at first but im not so scared now as had this for so long, still annoying though.
hazely
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia