Still in Denial

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Still in Denial

Postby stuartrmc » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:36 pm

I was told about a month a go that I had fibromyalgia and haven't taken it well, still refusing to accept it, went for a 10k run today, and can now barely move, I know it will take time, but struggling to come to terms with it. Can any one else help with ways to accept it and exercise that does leave me in agony
what we do in life echoes in eternity
stuartrmc
UKFM Member

Re: Still in Denial

Postby Garyl » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:08 pm

Stuart, i was told 8 years + ago and i was left numb, i only take pain relief as other meds mess with my head, First thing you need to accept it and then find out what will help you meds wise and excercise etc.

The sooner you accept it, you can start fighting it and do not let it control you, and again do not do things daft like a 10k run, i was used to walking at least 10 miles a day until it took over and now i use either 2 sticks or a walker on wheels depending how i am, Is as far as i am aware no cure so you have to accept you have Fibro then work with the doctors to find a treatment plan that will work for you.

Sorry if it sounds harsh but i have learnt the hard way, no one other then fellow fibro suffers know what you are going through, stay strong and go through what they give you pill wise till you get something that helps.
Garyl
UKFM Member

Postby humphreys » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:13 pm

Hi Stewart ?
I was relieved when my doctors told me I had Fibro, but when I got home I broke down. I wondered how I could go on, how my life will have to change. If you do like doing excercises, you must do only little at a time, don't push yourself. I've learnt to live with it now, even though I never used to stop doing things, I have to do little bits at a time.

I live on the Isle of Man, and I have visitors coming over for TT, so I started in January getting the place painted/decorated because I knew if I left it weeks before I wouldn't do it, but I must admit I like relaxing now, it gives me some me time.

I do hope you find that doing little bits at a time, does work. good luck.
humphreys
UKFM Member

Postby DRM » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:19 pm

It is a hard thing to accept you're likely never going to get better. I got diagnosed 3 years ago & still haven't fully accepted it. I'm constantly trying new things & hoping to find that 'cure'. I one thing i do believe is you have to stay as active as you can. It's not easy but Cutting out exercise will lead to decline. I think the 5 stages of grief apply - denial, anger, bargaining, depression & finally acceptance. Good luck
DRM
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:16 pm

:welcome: to our FibroFamily Stuart :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

A month isn't that long to still be in denial after you've been told you have FM. The dx you've been given has turned everything you knew as life downside up, and outside in, then just dumped you on your head and left you to find your way thru this. To do this you need to give yourself as much time as you need, it's not something where you can take a few shortcuts and get there a bit quicker. You need to find your way thru the darkness, and as you do, things will start to become a little lighter and brighter for you. Take each day, or even parts of each day as they come, and try to get the best you can from them. It doesn't have to be something massive, sometimes the smallest step forward can make you feel like you have conquered the greatest challenge that has ever been set for you.

Wrt exercise, as others have already said, keeping as active as you can is a good thing to do. However, you now have changed abilities and limits that you need to work with to try and keep things behaving in a more suitable way for you. Maybe start with reassessing your activity level baseline, and use that as your starting point for your new regime.

Once you have this revised point, you can start working on what you do. Try spending some time working at your baseline level and see how you go. If things feel OK, then you could consider increasing how long you do an activity for. When making an increase tho, it needs to be a small one to start off, then see how you go with it. If things feel OK, then you can consider adding another similarly sized increase.

If it feels ike it may be a bit too much tho, then stay at this level for a while longer, then reassess to see what your next step will be. Sometimes an increase may be far too much, far too soon. In such cases, it may be necessary to go back down a step or 2, then aim for an increase after a slightly longer period of time. It's all about what suits you best.

Whilst things seem very desolate and bleak at the moment, as you learn more about the condition, your capabilities etc, and start making some steps forward, the desolation and bleakness will start to lift, making the steps you next take a little easier to do.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby painprincess1 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:26 am

Hi. Sorry forgot your name already lol I. Very foggy this morning.i think it must be far worse for ppl who were very active before fibro.and I think if your someone who runs the idea of not being able to do it must drive your mad.
But going for a long run to prove a point to a illness you ain't gonna win.you can't reason with it and you can't fight it .and u can't bully it away.
You have fibromyalgia.
Now that don't mean you give up your life it just mean you change a few things. For me sitting about make me stiff.i keep going till 8 most night.sure I'm nearly dead but I. In pain what ever I do so I can't sit on my butt.but I have had to give up work. And there's day I feel so very ill.but I have learned what pushes me to far and what don't.and you will to. And there's lots of man and women in here who if u want will help you cope. We're a family ok it's a crappy family to be in but like in life you can choose your friends but you can't choose your family hehe xx
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:47 am

Hi Stuart and :welcome: I cant add much to what has already been suggested, just use baby steps for everything at the moment and learn to pace, little bits, rest up and little bits again. It is very true that if you become completely sedentary then you will stiffen and hurt all the more.

We have to keep moving, just probably a lot slower than we used to be but remember the tortoise and the hare, if you race along you are going to come a cropper, slow and steady wins the race.

Come on here and rant about things if you need to and we will listen and try to help as much as we can, the majority of us have been where you are now so its quite normal to feel as you do :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby stuartrmc » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:56 am

Thanks for all the replies, yea it has hit me hard because even last year I had just finished my second London Marathon.. and now i can hardly run 5 miles.. Guess it will just take time to work out what my new limits are and get used to it, my wife has been amazing and helping so much,

thanks all :-D :-D
stuartrmc
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:03 pm

You will get there especially as you have support from your wife :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby stuartrmc » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:16 pm

Did a gentle 10 min walk today and it actually eased the pain for a while.. which was a nice relief
stuartrmc
UKFM Member

Postby Diane64 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:59 pm

Hi there, im just sharing my experience of how I cope with keeping fit, im not saying its easy or for anyone else but it suits me, I regularly jog and do high impact training approx. 3 days a week, I have found I ache just as much if do no exercise so that's why I just keep doing them, yea there is days I find it difficult and in a lot of pain but I found this out when could do do nothing for about a month due to a cold virus and chest infection, I still felt on bad fibro days like I had been pelted by bricks regardless, so for me personally I don't see the point in slowing down yet or stop doing workouts that I love. like I said that's my choice and not suitable for everyone, I don't think I am in denial to my fibro though its just a case of not giving in to the crap card being dealt, im 50 this week and not prepared to live like I cant, more like until I cant which I hope is a long way off.. Take care Di :-)
Diane64
UKFM Member

Postby Wobbly woo » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:39 pm

Hi,I'm sorry ur having a hard time at the moment. Finding out that you have a long term condition is hardly an easy thing to get your head round ,and you certainly fight it-well,I did.
The most important thing I think I've learned is that you can fight it,just not by fighting against it.
You sound like a fit, healthy person -the fact you ran that far!-that is defo in your favour. Eating healthily I've found to really affect the way you feel and your mood,it can also help with the pain. I've found avoiding certain foods helps. Looking at your diet is defo helpful.
I was diagnosed in 2010 after having had symptoms for 12 years.
To say I was shocked is an understatement. I've never been a gym bunny or very fit at all, but always loved horse riding,and camping holidays, both of which have gone out the window. The last time I rode I ended up in a wheelchair for three days and then crutches for days.
My camping days have also sadly come to an end.
Harshly put, FMS is a horrible,painful crappy thing to have, but I do know that over time you learn to listen to ur body.
one thing you can do is find a really good doctor and have a good support network around you. They need to read about the condition as well, and you will learn to adapt your life to accommodate it.
Good luck :fingerscrossed:
Wobbly woo
UKFM Member

Postby stuartrmc » Sun May 04, 2014 6:04 pm

I'm definitely in anger.. I am having to plan 3 days a head.. so that I have the energy.. can't do nearly as much now.. It is so frustrating.. feel totally useless as I can't do anything any more. :cry: :cry:
stuartrmc
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia