Amitriptyline, bad fibro day...

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Amitriptyline, bad fibro day...

Postby JDWench » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:01 pm

I've had a shocking week and have missed my Amitriptyline a few days, I think it's a pointless drug that has no effect on me emotionally... Until a few days ago, I hit an all time low, didn't get out of bed, didn't want to be around anyone. Today I've had a bad body day and have cried a lot either out of pain or despair and frustration. I went to see my boyfriend at work who gave me a nice big cuddle and told me to watch a film. I fell asleep watching the film and woke up not remembering why he wasn't here and having no clue where he was, panic gripped me for about ten minutes. It's funny now but I was terrified! Anyone else having a silly week?
Help me raise money for Reach http://www.justgiving.com/Sadie-Scott1
JDWench
UKFM Member

Re: Amitriptyline, bad fibro day...

Postby meaker2001 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:33 pm

Why don't you ask your GP to put you on nortriptyline, I find it much better then Amitripyline. Works a lot better and much less side effects. I don't seem to get that awful hangover effect with them.
meaker2001
UKFM Newbie

Postby tich » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:38 pm

Not this week but i do have them sad to say more and more some days just wonder if its worth going on. Then some one says something and it all seems ok again. But the tears and pain are always with me but on the bright side their are people worse than me.amitriptyline dose nothing for me at all, i just try to keep going for my kids and grandkids. Small hugs sent take care
tich
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:14 pm

I'm on amitripyline. And it took well over 3 months to do anything.for me the tried feeling sucks but I'd never sleep without it. And it has stopped a lot of night time pain. But you really have to give it time and not miss doses.when you miss them it will make u feel even lower then before.but as pp said if you don't like them ask to try the other sort .xxx
As for silly weeks try silly life hehe.mum asked me if I had a bad headache I said no I'm concentrating.lol.
I hurt everywhere tonight I did dinner for 7 today and I feel bloody poorly now.even my skin hurts.
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby JDWench » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:24 pm

I'm only on 10mg and started them in February, for the first few weeks they knocked me out meaning I was having even less of a life if that's possible, used to try to be in bed by midnight but it was a case of take it at 8, in bed by half ten meaning seeing the mister even less as he doesn't finish work until ten. That's worn off and I just seem to be taking them for no reason, I know they're not usually used as an antidepressant and I'd previously refused them for anxiety so I wasn't thrilled to be prescribed them but missing just a few because I'm running low and the bank holiday has screwed up opening times, I've really noticed my mental state being a mess.
Help me raise money for Reach http://www.justgiving.com/Sadie-Scott1
JDWench
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:20 am

My dr put me on them for nerve pain. And I'd bet that's why your on them.they just lesson it somewhat. I am on another anti depressent for depression. So maybe ask the dr for something else.i used to think they did nothing until I stopped them. That half the prob with anti dees they make u feel normale not smiley happy just able to cope and because of that ppl tend to think there doing nothing. When infact the everyday normale you feel is the tablets. It's only when you stop them u notice how Awful you really feel .xxxx
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:29 pm

Maybe a change in dosage could be needed for you to feel some additional benefit from them. And whilst they are used at lower levels compared to when being taken for depression, that little bit can also help with your mood etc. Missing doses will definitely be adding to things as, instead of keeping levels in your system pretty even, they will be up and down, which in turn can have a similar effect on how you are thinking, feeling etc.

They don't suit everyone, which could also be part of things, so asking your GP about swapping to Nortriptyline might be something to consider if things don't start to settle down for you.

It could also be that you need something extra adding to your cocktail to help you thru times like this.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Wobbly woo » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:22 pm

I take 50mg of amitriptyline every night and have done for a few years now. I still struggle with the 'hangover' effect which is horrible, especially when I have to get up at a reasonable time school days. My husband has started to make me a coffee with two sugars (fruit) and get me propped up in bed with my brew before he leaves for work, I find drinking that before I get up and to the shower, really helps me to come round.
I missed several days tablets at one point, thinking that the side effects were worse than doing without- and was so horrendously poorly for about two weeks-I couldn't even get out of bed.
Defo need to speak to your Gp to wean off amitriptyline. Good luck :-)
Wobbly woo
UKFM Member

Postby lisa m 1973 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:28 pm

Have any of you found that your dreams have become somewhat vividness since upping the amytriptiline? Also I get a very dry mouth to the e tent it feels as though my throat is sticking shut x

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
lisa m 1973
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:53 pm

There have been a few mentions on here about dreams being much more vivid whilst taking Amitriptyline. And the dry mouth is a side effect of it, along with a number of other meds.

An alternative to Amitriptyline is Nortriptyline, which is said to have fewer side effects and be better tolerated. If you find you're struggling with these problems, it might be worth talking to your GP about whether swapping to Nortriptyline might be an idea.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Wobbly woo » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:55 pm

I've also been told about the nortryptaline -going to speak to my Gp about changing. I take morphine as well which also makes you very thirsty :-?
I was taken off escitalopram about 6months ago and put on duloxetine 60mg,I'm also going to have to speak to Gp about this -I have started having horrible nightmares and also sleepwalking,which wasn't too much of a problem until Tuesday night wen I must've been outside whilst sleepwalking (in my knickers and vest top!) and had loaded the car with coats and bags as though we were going away! Not good.
Wobbly woo
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:58 pm

Definitely a trip to the GP too dangerous to be sleepwalking outside :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia