Garden

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Garden

Postby painprincess1 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:48 pm

I'm trying to get my back and front garden sorted .my OH and my dad who is near is 70s is out digging the back the mud coming In is doing my head in as I seem to be cleaning floors four times a day.
My front garden is small so I went to pull up some weeds .both out neighbor s have lovely gardens so I'm trying to help as much as I can so it depresses me looking out on a bomb site.
All this work enough I'm only cutting back trees and pulling weeds has left me in a lot of pain .what can I say when everyone working so hard.
What worries me is keeping up with it. Anyone else feel like keeping the curtains shut just not to see the mess outside .
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Re: Garden

Postby libbiek30 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:58 pm

I enjoy doing gardening but I just do a little at a time. My hubby does all the mowing and any heavy digging and I am buying nice shrubs that don't need much work. :-D
libbiek30
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:14 pm

I know it's easier said than done PP, but you do need to go at your own rate, and do what you manage. I find it frustrating when we're in the garden as OH has to do most of the work, while I fiddle about with the little bits I can manage. OH isn't really fussed about the garden, if he had his way we'd have astroturf down instead of grass. I like it looking nice and neat, but not too fussy, but because he loses interest so quickly, it never gets there.

Out front is all paved for off~road parking, and I often cringe as we pull up because of the weeds popping up between the blocks and gravel. He'll only pull them out when I've reached full~scale nagging at him level, I can manage one or 2 small ones, then that's me done in and I have to be helped back up :oops: :oops: :oops: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby cdcrossy » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:43 pm

omg i tried to sweep the garden yesterday i was in agony for hrs then for some strange reason my 5 yr old started a ball pit fight that i should have not got involved in and couldn't even lift a spoon to my mouth afterwards i know how you feel i won't be doing it again anytime soon but sometimes i forget i cannot do these things like i would like to and over do it
cdcrossy
UKFM Member

Postby mandiw » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:41 pm

Before I got FBS I wanted to be a garden designer. I had even started my training. Unfortunately I had redesigned my garden too. If I had known what was to come I would have made it a lot more simple to maintain.
It really annoys me that my OH does most of the work now. I can manage a little bit each day if I am lucky.
I have a gardeners stool and long handled trowel and weeding fork and I sit and do as much as I can, making sure I stop before I hurt.
That is all you can do.
Plant easy shrubs and flowers that do for themselves and cover the ground to stop weeds. Use pots as much as poss because you can maintain them easily. And sit and do a little each day if you feel like it.
And some weeds are very pretty.
mandiw
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:13 am

I love to garden, that is my heaven. I can do about 15 minutes then I rest for an hour or 2.

We have all perinial gardens except for the pots on the decks. Our paths are cement to look like cobblestone. We put garden cloth underneath so the weeds are minimum. We also have automatic water on each plant.

I can get stubborn though when it comes to my garden and I have been caught by the woman next door, lying on the ground reaching for weeds, in tears with pain but not willing to give up.

You can use salt on weeds to kill some smaller ones.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby dejay » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:26 am

I love my garden, we block paved half of it, then put a fence across the middle,then the top part is gravel,I have pots with plants in and a huge big copper beach at the very end,The fence across the middle means i can clean up after my dogs,Did I forget to say I am so lucky I have two brilliant grandsons who do any hard work, at first it was hard to see my garden going to ruin, because I always did it myself,I used to cry to see it such a mess, Then came my two heroes and now i can look around, let people help if you can,I think I had to learn to take the help that was offered, it was hard at first, dont wait 20 years as I did , accept it now!!
dejay
UKFM Member

Postby Crafty_Lady » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:35 am

Years ago i used to love gardening, had 5 veg patches and lots of flower borders to do. Over the last few years my veg patches went to 3, then to 2 and now 0. I just couldn't do it, if i did do some digging or weeding i was absolutely done for. In agony. So its not worth it, making yourself bad. My husband cuts the grass and thats all we do really. The flower borders are looking very messy, so many weeds but i won't touch it as i know what will happen to me. When i think what i used to do out in the garden and now i can't do anything out there, how times change. I used to be so stubborn out there as well - "no no - i can lift that - i can do that" but now i just ask for help. We are thinking about moving house at some point because of the garden, its basically like a field, so we want something more manageable. Just got to learn what you can and cannot do.
Crafty_Lady
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia