work

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

work

Postby mummatez » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:56 pm

Hi ladies and gents. I currently work in care, have done most of my life, and boy am I suffering. I don't know what to do. My OH is amazing but because I've been struggling I've not been working many hours and now we're starting to struggle financially. OH tries not to worry me but I find him getting stressed and worrying where the money is going to come from. I feel I'm letting him down. It's just another thing piled on top. More stress and its not helping. What can I do?
Sorry to harp on.
Mummatez x
mummatez
UKFM Member

Re: work

Postby humphreys » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:15 pm

Hi I really do feel for you, I look after a lady with a brain injury and stroke, and I am finding it hard to do now, I used to do 4days, then 3days, and soon I will only be able to do 2days, I live on my own, and worried sick about paying the bills. I have never claimed for anything, and wouldn't even know how too. I have another 9yrs till I retire. It is worrying I know. I wish I could answer your question, all I know is I will have to find something else to bring the money in, maybe it's time for a change. Just remember your not on your own in this, Hope someone can come up with an answer. I wish you lots and lots of luck.
humphreys
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:47 am

Sadly I'm beginning to think il never return to work,it's so hard to get enough good sleep work that doesn't ware you out and some kinda life left at home.
I wish I did no what to tell you both all you can do is look for something less stressful .the only other way you have is benefits . If you have children you will get tax credit while working and if your not u get a child tax anywhy if your on a low wage.
If you live alone your still aloud something it would pay u to ring the job centre and they can tell you what help they can give both of u.most if done over the phone so no tricky forms.give it a try u have nothing to lose by asking xxxxxxx
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby westne5 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:03 am

Ive heard of people receiving PIP as it's not means tested, bust expect to be declined first time and have to appeal, also, as for working tax credits, you need to work a minimum of 30 hours if u have no children, 16 if you do have children. Ive tried all this too as i work only 18 hours a week due to the pain and fatigue xxx
westne5
UKFM Newbie

Postby Fibroised » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:14 am

Hi, I'm the same, and was recently declared between 50% to 80% disabled. No way can I work. Allowance a pittance. So instead of staying I tried to turn it around and look at what could possibly be positive about having Fibro, and discovered that the one thing I do have is Time.

So next thing I thought of was how to use my time to my advantage, am I good at anything that maybe I can sell. My sister for example is a fantastic jam maker, and when she retires she is going to go into the jam making big time. Well, I'm good at sewing, and embroidery. Used to do it years ago, make my own clothes in my 20s, then made all the bedclothes for my children when they came along.

Gave it up for years as it isn't the safest hobby with small children - needles, pins, scissors etc lying around, but took it up again last year when my sister-in-law got pregnant. Now I can't keep a needle out of my hand, even though at times its difficult to grip! Was so thrilled to re-discover this hobby and thankfully I had kept all my old bits and pieces packed away in a box. So I thought why not make things to sell? The simplest to make are cushions, embroidered with a little motif, or an initial, or a pretty design. So at the moment I am making loads of different samples, using my head to think up various simple designs, and once I have a few done, will settle on what would be the prettiest, easiest and fastest to make, then make a bulk of them which I will try to sell on-line, plus in local markets. I can even get my own little label printed up cheaply to attach to each one!

It isn't an expensive little business to start off because all I need is odd bits of material, thread and a needle, maybe some buttons and beads, of which there are plenty in our house. And old skirt for example that could be past its sell by date could be cut up and revamped into a cushion by using the inside of the material as the outside, etc. Old curtains, anything! This has given me an incentive, and I'm aiming for the Christmas market to have a bulk of cushions ready to sell. It is also occupying my time, I can do it while resting, or watching tv, or if I can't sleep. Even in the car on a journey!
So, the point I am making is - think about what you are good at and what you enjoy doing as a hobby. Then try to turn it around to make it work for you. Something simple and easy to do so that firstly it doesn't tax your strength, and secondly you get enjoyment out of it. They are paramount as its not worth it if you get bored churning out the same thing.

It has given me such a lift since I thought of it, put me in a more positive frame of mind. As a result, all my fibro pains are more bearable when they hit!
Has anyone else any other ideas ?????
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split large paragraph into smaller ones for easier reading
Fibroised
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:25 am

:cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave: Fibroised. I've split your wonderfully uplifting post into smaller paragraphs. One of the little delights FM has given some of us is a problem with reading larger blocks of text. We tend to end up getting lost, then find ourselves reading the same bit over and over again :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: Smaller paragraphs mean we can work thru it somewhat more easily and make it to the end :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think what you are doing, and what you are planning is :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: As well as being very on trend with reusing and upcycling items, you will be providing people with what could be a one~off or a limited run of items, which is something an awful lot of people like to have.

Altho not hobby related, I have an idea of what I would like to do once I have my anxieties behaving in a more suitable way. When I worked, I was in the finance industry, and when anything went wrong, the problem usually came to me because I seemed to have a knack for getting things sorted out. This happened with internal problems as well as problems with customers. It was extremely varied, both in what could happen and the challenge that it held. As it gave me such a :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: I'd like to be able to utilise this knack, as well as any financial~related residual knowledge I may possess, to help people tackle their monetary problems. It was something I did a few times, even tho it wasn't really in my job brief, and seeing how much people changed as things start to even out was amazing :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: I'd also like to be involved with animals, esp doglets, as what they can give is so much more powerful and uplifting than any meds I've had :dogchasecat1: :elephant: :cat2: :cat1: guinea_pi_1 :squirrel_nut: :bear-dancing: :penguin: :chicken-dance: :chicken: :cow-wave: :horse_running: :pigoink 1: :sheep: :rudolph: fairy_dust fairy_dust fairy_dust
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby mummatez » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:19 am

ladies you're uplifting, follow your dreams and don't hold back. I've just been offered a new job in the care sector. I'll be on a 20 hour contract as a team leader so I'll get the best of both worlds, some office based work and some care in the community, and more money :-D and hours to suit. Yesterday was a very good day.
chins up (yes I have several lol) it can and does come good, if not eat more cake :crazy: .
Mummatez xxx
mummatez
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:06 pm

Glad to hear things are looking up Mummatez and great ideas for using ideas that you enjoy to help out financially :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:11 pm

What a wonderful turn~around in things for you :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: It just goes to show that you never know what might be round the corner for you :chicken-dance: :chicken-dance: :chicken-dance: :chicken-dance: :chicken-dance: :chicken-dance:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia