Tiredness over pain?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Tiredness over pain?

Postby bouncer0304 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:59 pm

I'm a little concerned about something- am i the only one who's tiredness over rules their pain?

Let me explain a little better- i have the usual Fibro symptoms, however, i've been finding that while i do have some pain and discomfort, the tiredness and brain fog kills me the most. For example, i can go into town and an hour later i'm knackered and have to come home, usually without some things because i've forgotten my list once again. Same with day trips- it takes me ages to recover. It makes me feel bad that you talk about how much pain you're in when mine would probably be seen as nothing to some of you.

The discomfort and pain i feel are like something being in the background- it's there and makes itself known but i'm not screaming in agony. Could it be that i've had it for so long my brain has managed to block it out or ignore it somehow? I still feel and hurt like hell after a few hours volunteering but i do.feel guilty sometimes seeing so many of you struggle with your pains :-( Please tell me i'm not the only one like this as i don't want to be seen as a fraud :-(
bouncer0304
UKFM Member

Re: Tiredness over pain?

Postby libbiek30 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:22 pm

No ur not the only one. Its the fatigue and brain fogg that gets me the most. Dont get me wrong the pain is pretty bad if I do too much, like walk too far or try doing too much. But I really hate feeling so tired all the time and the bad memory and not being able to finish a sentence ir write fir long. I suffer bad with ibs and irritable bladder too. But I also do think im as bad as lots on here so think im really lucky :-D
libbiek30
UKFM Member

Postby scratch » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:23 pm

I'm much the same. While the pain is constant, it runs in the background and it's the tiredness that hits me most of the time. I'll happily sleep 12 hours a day when I don't have to get up for anything.
scratch
UKFM Newbie

Postby shadavv » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:27 pm

I find mine changes atm it's tiredness but on another day it can be pain.
I find myself very depressed with the tiredness but not so much with the pain.
shadavv
UKFM Newbie

Postby Garyl » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:29 pm

Definetly not the only one needed some mushy peas forgot them when i went to Asda, went to the local shop at 2.15 again forgot them third time lucky, So about to cook my fish and waffle for tea with my mushy peas.
Garyl
UKFM Member

Postby Cap22 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:04 pm

So glad, Bouncer you posted. I have read in horror what some people are going through and when I have wanted to whinge about how tired I am and how easily exhausted I get I think of them and feel really bad about myself. Today has been quite good considering I had little sleep with jumping legs and burning feet. But I managed to clip one of the dogs today and do some shopping. Yesterday and day before brain fog was dreadful, dozed most of day and ached. But that's nothing to what others have.

At the moment I feel very very lucky.
Cap22
UKFM Newbie

Postby bouncer0304 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:21 pm

So glad i'm not alone- makes me feel 100x better now! Thanks for your kind comments on here and on Facebook. I struggle to walk and think like a normal being but at least i know that what i'm feeling isn't unusual. I could have one over the other which i rather not have, but at least i can stop feeling bad about the tiredness outweighing the pain. Thank you guys :-D

Edit: someone said in the Facebook comments about the fatigue being so bad it made them physically sick- i feel really sick when i'm over tried aswell which again makes feel i'm not alone in suffering that too, although i bet none of us wpuld really want that in the first place!
bouncer0304
UKFM Member

Postby Pamela600 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:21 pm

I read your comment earlier today on Facebook and joined the Forum as a result. I have always felt that my pain is so much less than many other have and how strange that is. I do get pain and it stops me from walking far or carrying anything over a distance but by far my worse symptom is the exhaustion. Some days I'm so tired I can only do the basic things necessary to keep going. I've tried napping during the day but that doesn't always work, it's not the same as being tired from lack of sleep, it's just constant exhaustion. Thanks for posting bouncer, it was really helpful for me to read your comments and the others on this thread.
Pamela600
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:11 pm

My doctor told me that FM and ME/CFS are different ends of the same spectrum so if your pain is worse then you suffer from FM, if your tiredness is worse then its ME/CFS, but I also know some members who have been diagnosed with both conditions FM plus ME

If I were you I would have a chat to your GP and see what they say, dont suppose it would alter anything but it may put your mind at ease if you know what is going on.

One other reason for the exhaustion (cos tiredness just doesnt cover it) is medication, the side effects of some of the meds we take is tiredness and that isnt easy to deal with either, so you have my complete understanding, some days its so hard if not nigh on impossible to do anything :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby diane » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:51 pm

I'AM exactly the same I find the fatigue and brain fog is the hardest to cope with I do have pain but I could cope with that.
xx
diane
UKFM Member

Postby LizzyMac » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:28 am

For me, the pain is pretty bad, but it waxes and wanes and medication helps with it.

So far, not much helps with the brain fog. I find it incredibly frustrating, because sometimes I can tell I'm not on top of my game, but I'm not sure exactly how much sense I'm making. It makes me feel insecure about talking to other people, particularly after about 3-4pm, because I'm worried I'll say something that doesn't make any sense or that I'm just babbling and don't realise it.

I used to be very sharp and quick-witted. I still have moments I feel good mentally (usually earlier in the day), but when the fog hits, I get so frustrated and even angry. I just can't think!
LizzyMac
UKFM Member

Postby mummatez » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:15 pm

Phew, you cannot believe how happy this post has made me. I'm in pain most of the time but I can deal with that, but the tiredness crucifys me. I always feel so guilty that my wonderful OH has to hear me say good I'm so tired again.bless him he's wonderful and sends me to bed for my " OAP" nap but I can't help feeling sorry for him and that I'm just a liability.
But now I feel so much better. We are not alone. Together we'll get through this.
Thank you ladies
Xxx
mummatez
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:07 pm

This may sound mad but give me pain over tiredness any day.
Trying to stay awake with a little one and other half is a nightmare.
I can handle pain I can take something but I don't sleep in the day even if I feel dead so for me I'd have the pain.
Everyone's fibro is different Just like ms is never the same for two ppl when I first found out I had fibro I would sleep for hours at,a time and had little pain, now it's the other way round .so don't ever feel u don't suffer as much as we do because u do sweetheart xx
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:52 pm

Pamela600 wrote:I read your comment earlier today on Facebook and joined the Forum as a result. I have always felt that my pain is so much less than many other have and how strange that is. I do get pain and it stops me from walking far or carrying anything over a distance but by far my worse symptom is the exhaustion. Some days I'm so tired I can only do the basic things necessary to keep going. I've tried napping during the day but that doesn't always work, it's not the same as being tired from lack of sleep, it's just constant exhaustion. Thanks for posting bouncer, it was really helpful for me to read your comments and the others on this thread.

:welcome: to our FibroFamily Pamela :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

Just as painprincess has said, we are all very different in the way FM affects us, so please don't think that your pain, or any other aspect of your condition means that you don't experience things a much as someone else says they do. Whilst there may be some areas which don't affect you as much as they may do others, there may be others where the effect on you is more marked than on someone else. And it doesn't matter, well on here anyway, how mildly or how badly your condition affects you, nor how much or how little you need to take/do/or what approaches you use to treat/manage your condition (so long as it's all legal), getting that FM stamp means that you're part of family, and we'll do what we can to offer to advice, support, and understanding whenever you need it, just as we do with each other :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

I'm one of the one who have been given both FM and CFS dx's, so for me there are times when one is more dominant than the other. There's no pattern to this, esp when it happens out of the blue. If I was able to get rid of just one symptom, the tiredness/exhaustion/fatigue would be my choice. I wouldn't need to consider it, or pick from a selection, it would be written down in massive pink letters, underlined repeatedly and waved right in front everyone just so they knew what my choice was. When it's at its worst, I struggle to deal with even the simplest, essential things as it seems to magnify the intensity of everything else. During the times when pain has the upper hand, and the fatigue is less prominent, I find things are a little easier to manage/deal with. Were I able to go to bed and sleep properly, restfully, then wake up feeling the benefits from it, I'm pretty sure things would be in a far better state for me :waiting: :waiting: :waiting: :waiting: :waiting:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby HazelB » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:54 am

I can continue through the pain, but when fatigue hits I just need to stop and rest ...no option. Also same with brain fog, sometimes just cannot function xxx

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk
(soft hugs)
Hazel xxx
HazelB
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia