Fed up with walking into walls and floors

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Fed up with walking into walls and floors

Postby Ribbonsrabbit » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:33 am

I actually walk straighter when I am drunk!

I am so sick of hanging onto furniture and doing improvised dance moves....

I had an occupational therapy assessment and it scared the bowel matter out of me when she said "You are furniture walking".
After 2 decades in the care sector I knew exactly what she meant and the depth of the gravity of her words.
Nothing said YOU ARE DISABLED quite as profoundly and loudly as those words.

Anyway, I am just sick of getting up and trying to walk forwards and going sideways! My older sister is just a shell of who she was and she tried to leave her bedroom and ended up in the wardrobe!

I think its quite lucky my flat is small because I stand up and if I am not hanging off of something I spin and twirl like a break dancer.
I dont even feel dizzy and if I march hard down the road I can walk straight but if I stand up and set off I end up going somewhere else. Its embarrassing in shops. I do fall sometimes but most of the time theres a wall to hit and not a floor.

I have to tell my carers that I am touching their back with my fore arm so I can walk past them without literally reeling and body slamming them.
I HATE IT.

I dont like touching people on a good day but if you get a carer who clearly also does not appreciate human contact its really awkward but necessary. I have to loudly proclaim that "I am putting my arm on your back so I dont fall on you as I walk past".... humiliating.

I didnt know how bad it could get. I have stopped using cups and glasses and drink out of bottles now because I knocked so many glasses of juice over that my electrics were a hazard so I gave up on glasses and just use bottles now. Its practical but not dignified.
Standing up from a chair and trying to walk and reeling into fixtures and fittings makes me look stupid.
I am miserable :o(
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split into smaller, clearer paragraphs for easier reading.
Ribbonsrabbit
UKFM Member

Re: Fed up with walking into walls and floors

Postby Librarychick » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:44 am

I feel for you. Sending you a huge great big no hurt me cuddle.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Librarychick
UKFM Member

Postby zoomie » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:24 pm

Hi RR, I completely understand, I have a trolley for inside and a walker for outside, but that doesn't stop me falling into walls, out of the shower/bath.... I'm 40, but feel like my life is over.
Take care sweetie, your not alone... Oh and re touching, I think because we're all very sensitive to any stimulation, most fibromites I know hate contact, me included (much to my OH' s dismay :/
Fibromyalgia comes in many shapes, sizes and abilities... DON'T DISCRIMINATE!!!!
zoomie
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:32 pm

A friend took me out for lunch today. After fumbling my way through the food trying to get my hands to grip the fork properly and direct it towards my mouth as i then went to step down (2 steps) on our way out my body wouldn't do it. It didn't feel like i had forgotten, it felt like my body had never known how to step down a step. My friend is use to me and came back and rescued me, i walk with a stick and refuse to give in.

No you are not alone, even the ones that look ok most of the time have their badder than bad days.
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby Mandygass » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:25 pm

You may feel miserable but please be safe in the knowledge that you should be on stage, you have put a smile on my face. Thank u.
Mandygass
UKFM Newbie

Postby Carphil » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:22 pm

Oh dear. I was told the same thing by my OT and at the falls clinic they sent me to!!! It's so embarrassing. I was the youngest there on a six weeks course. I must admit.......it helped a bit and made me understand why my balance was bad and why I fell so often. Ok I still manage to walk into things etc but now I know why.
Xxxxxx
Carphil
UKFM Member

Postby Melissa » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:48 pm

I know what you mean. I started with that when I was 23. I found it was much easier to walk with elbow crutches. I've been using them now for about 10 years. It was embarrassing at first because I had been a runner and the problem came on suddenly and I had to try to explain to all my friends why I'm using crutches all the time, but now it's no big deal. I feel much steadier and don't even try to walk without the crutches any more.
Melissa
UKFM Member

Postby Ribbonsrabbit » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:14 pm

Mandygass wrote:You may feel miserable but please be safe in the knowledge that you should be on stage, you have put a smile on my face. Thank u.

I felt miserable for then but it doesnt last so long and I reckon if I go to the job centre and ask if there are any gaps for a stand up comic who combines words with highland reels ad lib then I am not sure they will have my perfect post :o)

I mentioned the drinking out of bottles because I have osteoarthritis in my hands and lots of other places and the worst incident was when I went to get up to close the window and did a triple pirouette and smacked a pint glass on the second spin and thought all the liquid hit the floor and didnt realise my smart phone was swimming..... so now I have given up... cant hold cups so just use a bottle with a lid and now if I go to let the dogs out and my body decides to do some break out moves then if the bottle hits the floor its not so problematic.

The worst bit of spontaneous dance isnt that they look like really pants 'dad' dancing moves but that I am hyper mobile so with super flexibility it can be quite a show....

I noticed today an actual trigger and I must have already been aware on some level that it was a problem because I have already employed coping strategies.... I go to the Oxfam bookshop while I wait for my medication to be dispensed at the chemist and I actually hold the shelf with one hand because cocking your head sideways to read book titles and stepping forwards could make the best of us into an impromptu ballerina.

I also steal their foot stool and sit on that which really help.... and hanging onto a shopping trolly.... perfect...

Does anybody know why I can march with firm steps but that standing up and trying to walk just doesnt work? Its like the slower I go, the worse it gets, which makes no sense at all?????
Ribbonsrabbit
UKFM Member

Postby Ribbonsrabbit » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:19 pm

Thank you for all the replies. I have considered a walking stick for uneven ground. Indoors my flat is small and so I can walk from place to place and I have put a buggy in the lounge near my computer chair and it stands up with handles so I have found that grabbing that I am not hitting the cages anymore. I dont even know why I do this falling and going sideways stuff GGGGRRRRR!

I should look again at some of the research papers on the subject because I am finding out about FM aspects after the event....
Like my eyes not working when I get tired and I spent how long trying to clean my glasses and rubbing my eyes and it was only coming here that I found out my eyes were affected by FM. Its really pants huh.
Ribbonsrabbit
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia