pilates

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

pilates

Postby tori » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:57 pm

Hi just wondering has anyone tried pilates if so is it any good for fibro or in fact doable with fibro?? Xx
tori
UKFM Member

Re: pilates

Postby Nan26 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:22 am

I have done Pilates, and did feel better after it. But my fibro is not too disabling at this point and the pain generally is tolerable with cocodamols. I had a flare which also bought on costochondritis which DID make some exercises difficult with the pain, but the teacher was amazing and gave me alternatives to do. Our classes were small - no more than 9 people in each class and I think that makes all the difference. See if your pilates teacher does 'taster classes' where you can go for just one class to see how you go on and have a chat with the teacher about if/how it could help you. We each have our own limitations. have had to miss a block of classes due to family committments, and I have really missed them. I have some sessions better than others. Good luck x
Nan26
UKFM Newbie

Postby paulamcl » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:33 pm

Yes I do pilates and I feel better after I do it. It helps me get out of bed in the morning to. I do a 20 minuet dvd. Its called Windsor pilates. I listen to my body, I do it on my good days. If i'm feeling tired I don't do it it. The dvd I do is short and its gentle movements so you don't even feel like you have done any exercise but I do feel more mobile after it and not as stiff getting up the next day. Hope this helps :-)
paulamcl
UKFM Member

Postby amarkwell67 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:15 pm

My physio suggested not to go to an open class but get a DVD and do at home as u can opt out easier if an exercise gives pain the idea is to stretch the muscle not give u pain. In a class u might feel forced or embrased if u did not do a certain task.
amarkwell67
UKFM Newbie

Postby neferhapi » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:51 am

I do pilates 3 times a week and it really helps with the pain so much so that I am now able to do other classes like zumba and even some with light weights! Admittedly my pain has never been that bad(unless I have a flare when I am pretty much unable to do anything other than walk very slowly) but now I even have days where the pain is just a dull all over ache and have even had a couple of days without painkillers where I have been able to function. However I do have the most amazing instructors who start you off on the easiest versions and then build up to the more advanced version, if you don't want to do anything harder than the first stage you don't have to. Remember they have to cater for all levels and will encourage you to listen to your body and find you own level, they won't get a very good reputation if people are regularly getting injured. I would advise you to try it but remember not to beat yourself up if somedays you don't feel up to it, or you are not able to do the same as everyone else.

Good luck
neferhapi
UKFM Member

Postby tori » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:53 pm

Thanks guys /gals I have ordered dvd so ill see how it goes. X
tori
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia