do I need to be concerned

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

do I need to be concerned

Postby missyb » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:54 pm

Starting to get a little worried. I was referred for occupational health report which was completed on the 02.04.14. I received my copy on the 07.04.14. My hr dept received their copy a couple of days later however I am still waiting to hear the outcome. Ive had 10.5 days in the last 12 mths but still in the stages of trial and error with the meds. Basically the report recommended the following: work stress to kept to a minimum as this can exasperate symptoms, I should be able to work from home when symptoms were bad, have a parking space at work, work station amendment, and awareness that I might have more sick days than the standard. Plus in their opinion I am covered b6 the equality act 2010 but this would have to be confirmed by an employment tribunal or court of law. I have spoken to my manager who has said that hr want to speak to the occupational therapist about their recommendations . Is this a good thing or bad?? Worried now they think I am not up to the job.

Can anyone give any advise?
missyb
UKFM Newbie

Re: do I need to be concerned

Postby painprincess1 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:01 pm

Your work wants to talk to the OT to ask a few Q I would think.
They can't sack you for being ill. Try not to worry to much it will only make u feel sick.
And by law they have to try to meet as many of your needs as they can. Xxxxx
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:09 pm

I would think they want to make sure they are interpreting the report correctly and then will find out what everyone's position is you have certain rights and I would imagine your employers dont want to break any boundaries.
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Aldon40 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:25 pm

Hey

I have had ten weeks off since the beginning of the year with my fm and other problems.. My boss phoned today and said I have to attend a meeting at my work next Wednesday as personnel want it they are thinking of getting rid of me under ill health circumstances..I will let you know how it goes.x
Aldon40
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:04 am

Having only 10.5 days off in a year is nothing and if you have the option to work at home, take it whenever you can and prove you can still do the job from there.

I was a staff nurse until i fell down my house stairs and the FM became uncontrollable. Just before i left i was off sick for a year, even though i did try and go back once. They can't really adapt a nursing job to suit someone with FM and so in the end i left by mutual agreement but on ill health terms.
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:17 am

Going on the dates you've said that things have happened, and allowing for the fact that there has been the Easter weekend in amongst it, and also working on the basis that Occy Health work on a fairly typical 9~5 Monday~Friday week, it means, up to and including today, a total of 18 working days have passed since your report was completed. Altho it's been a good while since I was in a work environment, even then, 18 working days wasn't very long for changes that were needing to be made, to be finalised and brought in.

Time will be needed by your employer to do these things, a suitable parking space will need to be found and allocated. This could mean having to juggle around others who already have a space to ensure that your will but suitable and fit in with the recommendations made. Depending on how much needs amending wrt your work station, appropriate equipment may need to be sourced and requested, then the best price possible be sort before the actual purchasing can be rubber stamped. Then, depending on what is needed, delivery times will need to be allowed for, plus there could be a possibility of delays, depending on stock levels etc at the supplier's end of the chain. Plus, with you being told by your manager that HR are wanting to speak to the OT about the recommendations, this will also add time onto how long it could take for these things to be implemented.

The thoughts you're having are understandable, however they will be adding to how you feel, so if you can, try and put them in a box and out of the way. If there hasn't been anything said about your ability to do your job, then it probably isn't something that is concerning your employer at the moment.
missyb wrote:Plus in their opinion I am covered b6 the equality act 2010 but this would have to be confirmed by an employment tribunal or court of law.

As far as I understand it, bearing in mind that I'm not any sort of expert in any field, coverage under The Equalities Act 2010 is an automatic process, and there fore shouldn't need to be confirmed by an employment tribunal or court of law. This may just be necessary legal wording that is necessary to be included in such documentation If you need further clarification/confirmation of what is the right interpretation, your union rep {if you are a member of one} should be able to help. Alternatively you could seek advice from your local Disability Employment Adviser who should be based in your local job centre, support organisations such as CAB or Acas.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby fibro-lu » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:14 pm

where I used to work there was an automatic trigger if someone was off sick for 15 days and more on 3 or more occasions to be send to occu doc (maybe to flush out ppl who go off sick every other Monday because of hang over etc)

with your 10.5 you might have triggered just that thus were referred to occu health

your employer might be surprised about what occu health is expecting them to put in place for you

all in all I think the occu doc is backing you up big time and as Flup said Equality Acts is ....

don't stress yourself and if you have not done so already join the union and take him/her with you to every meeting with HR etc
s/he can speak on your behalf and won't get stressed out about that and you can relax

all the best
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia