constant muscle spasms driving me crazy

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

constant muscle spasms driving me crazy

Postby familygirl50 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:19 pm

Hi
For a long time now, I have been suffering bad muscle spasms/cramps both day and night. During the day I get spasms in my legs, back and diaphram. I get a cramp in my calf and stretch the muscle but then I can get a cramp in my shin. So I cant stretch either muscle without pain. The same thing happens in my back. I lean to one side to stretch it out only to get cramp on opposite side. At night I lie on one side and get cramp and change to the other side and get cramp. So I lie on my back and the leg cramps start. I get restless legs and they are twitching. Im just so tired as I havent had a decent nights sleep for ages. The GP prescribed amytritamine and neproxin but nothing has helped the cramps. Does anyone else suffer from them and if so how do you cope?
It was one of the main reasons I started seeing the doctor before my diagnosis. I was initially given quinine tablets to take and these worked quite well until they stopped prescribing them due to the side effects that people were suffering.
Sorry for the long post. :(
familygirl50
UKFM Newbie

Re: constant muscle spasms driving me crazy

Postby JDWench » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:31 pm

I'm in my third week of horrible cramps, any pins and needles? I'm already on amytriptyline and was on naproxen but ran out so have vedn taking paracetamol and ibuprofen. Saw a nurse on Friday who attempted to take blood to check my inflammation markers but couldn't get much. I'm trying to see gp again tomorrow. I don't know what to suggest as I'm at my wits end too. It's so frustrating!
Help me raise money for Reach http://www.justgiving.com/Sadie-Scott1
JDWench
UKFM Member

Postby carlz25 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:31 pm

I take them in my back and was prescribed roboxin. App they give you them now instead of diazepam, you could try asking for them. Hope they start easing for you soon x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
carlz25
UKFM Member

Postby Karou » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:19 pm

I'm currently dreading to go to bed at night because of this. Had occasional cramps, spasms, jerking, twitches but for a couple of days new, I haven't been able to get a half decent sleep. I fall asleep and then BAM! Whole body jerking wakes me up. It's not like those you can get just before falling asleep and you think you're falling. They're stronger and just that little bit later and I'm not dreaming of falling.

I've also noticed I'm restless. This afternoon I gave up and had a nap and really hurt my knuckles because I've had bad dreams and punched someone who attacked me in the face. Now got an even worse hand, bruised and skin scraped off. sigh

Can tramadol do this? I've had to increase because twice daily isn't touching the pain.
Had to give up stretching for now as that will lead to stiffening and another spasm. :(

Forgot to say I also get pains when it happens, kinda like hot electricity flowing through me.:|

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Gentle :hugs: :hugs: , Karou

“Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.” - Brimstone
Karou
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:04 pm

Can your dr not give your some mussel relaxsents it would be wroth a try xx
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:41 pm

Tramadol can give you the nasty dreams, think you ought to visit your GP to tell them what has been happening
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Karou » Thu May 01, 2014 3:42 am

They refuse to give muscle relaxants. Had diazepam and it worked a treat for spasms, pain, anxiety and I slept much better. Only had a week's worth and then it was stopped. Reason: they don't want me to get addicted.
So I asked for lorazepam as I know exactly how to handle them and can stop them immediately. Had them to get me through a working week when diagnosed with bpd and depression. But no. Maybe I could mention the roboxin mentioned above.

Thanks denys, I had no idea! I've noticed a change in my dreams, some of them are actually quite pleasant. Almost like living a separate life. The nasty ones where I end up throwing, kicking or else I could do without though. :|

Seems that Fibro always finds new things to irritate us. Stupid cramps, twitches, etc. keeping me awake again tonight. Oh well...at least I can read my book in peace and quiet, not like during the day lol

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Gentle :hugs: :hugs: , Karou

“Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.” - Brimstone
Karou
UKFM Member

Postby hippychick » Thu May 01, 2014 9:03 am

Hi peeps, just wanted to add my 2 penneth re the muscle cramps and spasms. Like many fibromites I also suffer ridiculously painful and annoying cramps, mainly in my ankles of all places, but elsewhere too. I discovered some years back that magnesium can help because it's s'posed to help maintain muscle and nerve health.

I used to take a supplement from Holland & Barrett that was combined Calcium, Magnesium & Zinc and the dosage for that was 3 a day with/after food and sure enuff, if I didn't have all 3 doses, you could bet yer boots that I'd have a nasty cramp experience that night :roll: However, since having been put back on Adcal because of my osteopenia, (I'd stopped taking it because I was fearful for the health of my toothipegs as each chewable disc -huge tablet- was sticking to my teeth after taking it and even though I'd brush my teeth virtually straight away, I still worried about caries but the new version the doc's given me is dissolvable so it doesn't have time to hang around in my mouth like t'other tablet did).

I've had to stop taking the combined one aforementioned otherwise I could risk overdose of calcium that could lead to allllll sorts of major problems healthwise, so I now take another combined tablet from Holland & Barrett which still has the magnesium and zinc in but minus the calcium and is only taken twice a day. The zinc has the added benefit of helping your immune system so in theory it should help keep many bugs and viruses at bay, and in my case it defo does since, most of the time, I can be around folk with really nasty bugs and more often than not, escape coming down with them myself. Doesn't make me wonder woman or owt coz I do still have a tendency towards the asthmatic bronchitis unfortunately but that's not infectious, just makes breathing a nuiscance but that's something none of us can give up doing eh? :lol:

Hope this has been helpful to any other cramp sufferers, just a tip not a proven health fact except in my own case :cow-wave:

Gentle hugglies,
Hippy
hippychick
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia