advice regarding pain clinic

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

advice regarding pain clinic

Postby Lisa Higgins » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:50 am

Hi I have an appointment with the pain clinic tomorrow and am wondering what I can expect from them and what questions I should ask ... any advice appreciated Thanks
Lisa Higgins
UKFM Newbie

Re: advice regarding pain clinic

Postby Denbev » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:30 am

I have spent roughly 2yrs@the pain clinic+felt let down+fobbed off as after trying several painkillers that didn't work they just told me I would have to adjust+accept this is my life from now on living everyday in chronic pain at age 38 I find this unacceptable!!! I have since found a tremendous help+had less pain+more mobility by paying private to see a chiropractor ,hope this helps+good luck :-D
Denbev
UKFM Member

Postby suecam » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:45 am

Hi,
I been going to a pain clinic at the hospital for nearly a year now. I'm lucky to have a really good GP and consultant who both compliment each others thoughts on treatments. He says my GP is 'on the ball' with medication and acupuncture in my hands. The consultant gives me an aesthetic injections, as many as I need or can take at one sitting as they are very painful and leave me teary-they don't completely take the pain away but make me 'loosen up' as he says and I do notice a difference with them for that! How long I get them for is up to me and if I feel particularly bad I can re arrange appointments and go sooner. I hope you find your clinic as helpful as mine!
suecam
UKFM Member

Postby Lisa Higgins » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:08 am

Thanks for your advice guys i'm hoping they are good too
Lisa Higgins
UKFM Newbie

Postby elaineann521 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:35 am

my doctor has refused to send me to the pain clinic
elaineann521
UKFM Member

Postby carolad » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:29 am

elaineann521 wrote:my doctor has refused to send me to the pain clinic

Yep, mine too. He says I don't need to go to a Pain Clinic because he can try different medications. I know that a Pain Clinic does more than just dole out drugs, but if my GP doesn't want to refer me, there isn't much I can do about it :(

I have just given up on the NHS. Unless you fight and make a nuisance of yourself, the NHS has nothing to offer people with chronic pain conditions. So I just do what I can to help myself now...

For those of you lucky enough to attend a Pain Clinic, please pass on any tips and strategies for coping with daily life :)
carolad
UKFM Member

Pain management!

Postby Minilady » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:25 pm

Does anyone have an experience of pain management clinics? I have a worsening of my fibro in my neck,shoulders etc and my physio has suggested i get a referral from my GP. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)
Minilady
UKFM Member

Re: Pain management!

Postby amarkwell67 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:00 pm

I have just been reffered to. They manage your overall pain management regime and consultant with your doctor and other clinicians.
amarkwell67
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:15 pm

With you both asking about Pain Clinics, I've merged your 2 topics together, so any replies you get can be seen all together in the one place :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

From the number of times someone has posted about Pain Clinics, the services they seem to offer varies across the country, so the best we can do is give you a general idea of what can happen.

When you've been referred to the Pain Clinic, the first appt that comes thru tends to be an assessment. Altho there will be some info incl in the referral, they will probably go over previous history with you, which can cover how and when things started appearing, meds you've tried and/or are currently on {both prescription and OTC}, therapies and treatments you may have tried or be undergoing, alternative remedies you may have tried and/or currently using and how beneficial {or not} you have found them.

Once they have enough info regarding previous history and how things are currently, they will go thru the treatments/therapies that could be available to you. This varies from to area~to~area, but can incl Pain Management Programme/Courses, reviews of current meds and suggestions for what could be used instead of, alongside the other things in your current cocktail. There may be physios to work with for pacing, improving mobility and stamina/strength. If you're struggling with the psychological aspects of your condition, you could have access to a counsellor/therapist who can help you face these issues and work thru them, as well as helping you come up with coping strategies and ways to approach problems. You could also have access to therapies such as acupuncture, hydrotherapy.

Once you have been advised of what the Pain Clinic can offer you, a treatment/care plane needs to be devised. What goes on your plan all depends on which areas you feel might benefit and how they are affected.

From there, it tends to be a case of waiting for that first appt to come thru, and hopefully the start of things improving for you :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Minilady » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:01 pm

Many thanks for that. Very informative indeed. Hopefully my GP will refer me and I can get some help.
Minilady
UKFM Member

Postby sukara » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:10 pm

Hi, My GP referred me to the pain clinic on the advice of my Rheumatologist. ( I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and Fibro ) I had recently had my Fentanyl Patch increased to 100mcg as well as being on Amitriptylline 125mcg, Ibuprofen 600mg three times a day and Paracetamol 1g four times a day.! I filled in the questionnaire they sent me and had my first appointment 3 weeks ago. I saw a consultant who said that I was on a high dose of Fentanyl and that it was not a good idea to just keep increasing it as long term use could cause problems that they might not even know about yet. He also said it could be causing the severe sweating that I am suffering from ( sweat literally runs and pours from my face with any exertion at all ). He said it would be a good idea to see the Occupational Therapist re pacing ( I have already seen physios on 3 occasions re this ) and he would also like me to see a psychologist with a view to looking at methods of training my brain to deal with the pain?? But much worse than that he recommended getting my GP to give me a prescription for 12.5mcg patches of Fentanyl and he advised reducing my patches every 2 to 3 weeks by 12.5mcg. He did not offer me any alternative pain relief!!!! The appointment to see the Psychologist would take at least 6 months!! I was devastated as it was only in the past 6 weeks that the patch strength was increased to 100mcg as I had been in a right state with the pain and had felt that the pain was controlling me instead of me controlling it. I was weepy and suicidal when I saw my GP and had only just started to feel in control again. I have now been back to my GP and she was shocked and can't believe that no alternative pain medication was offered to me and said she was going to leave me on the 100mcg as I looked brighter since I had started them. I feel gutted and the Consultant has made me feel that my pain is insignificant and can be controlled with my brain!!! I see the Occupational Therapist in 3 weeks so will see what she says. Has anyone on here seen a psychologist via pain clinic?
sukara
UKFM Newbie

Postby denys » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:38 pm

Sukara sorry to hear you had such a disappointing time with the consultant, dont dismiss the psychologist out of hand, they can help with techniques to help us cope with the pain and give us different ways to see our lives. Its not about dismissing your pain and telling you its all in your mind but in helping to acknowledge what you have to deal with on a day to day basis

Maybe in time you will be able to reduce the dosage of your patches but that is something for you and your GP to manage as she knows you better than someone you have only met only once :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: all goes well for you with your other appointments
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby denys » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:38 pm

Sukara sorry to hear you had such a disappointing time with the consultant, dont dismiss the psychologist out of hand, they can help with techniques to help us cope with the pain and give us different ways to see our lives. Its not about dismissing your pain and telling you its all in your mind but in helping to acknowledge what you have to deal with on a day to day basis

Maybe in time you will be able to reduce the dosage of your patches but that is something for you and your GP to manage as she knows you better than someone you have only met only once :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: all goes well for you with your other appointments
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia