Natural Treatments?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Natural Treatments?

Postby Easylifer » Thu May 01, 2014 10:01 pm

Good evening, has or does anyone follow a natural approach to treating their conditions?

Im really interested in looking into this in more depth and just wondered if you have come across any information or tips in relation to this.

I have heard that turmeric is a goodie

Look forward to hearing your thoughts :lol: :lol: :lol:
Easylifer
UKFM Member

Re: Natural Treatments?

Postby painprincess1 » Fri May 02, 2014 11:01 am

No I haven't and I wouldn't no where to start. See for me the rub is ALL our pills are made from plants so when ppl say natural to me I do have to giggle.
Im in no way putting your idea down as if you find something in the health shop that works that would be wonderful and I'd sure give it a go.
And yes I no dr pills have other thing in them but I have heard some horror story's of ppl taking natural remedies and really over doseing.thinking it's fine as it's not really a pill.
So what ever u try pls check with your dr first
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Fri May 02, 2014 11:35 am

I do, if you count pretty much not using any medication at all as 'natural'. I take the odd OTC painkiller when things are very bad, but that's only a couple of days a month usually.

I've tried diet changes - no change.

I usually take vitamin supplements especially Vit B and D and Co-enzyme Q10, though I've been without them for the last few weeks and really need to start again.

Not tried any 'natural miracle cures' though, so can't help you with any suggestions there.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby johnashu » Fri May 02, 2014 8:12 pm

Apart from DR advised ~Vitamin supplements such as magnesium or iron, if you need..

avoid anything else really in tablet form that is. only take supplements reccommended by a DIETICIAN not a nutritionist etc..

example is too much vitamin D can take calcium from the bones and deposit as kidney stones.. (please dont quote me on that, im speaking rom memory lol. eta. link http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-livin ... q-20058108

the use of tumeric in cooking is well heralded as having many benefits..

its not just tumeric though..

other spices, ginger, garlic, fresh herbs, chinese five spice etc are all very good.. in fact Chinese 5 Star Anise is the principal ingredient of Tamiflu and the company that makes it buys something like 90% of all that is grown.

It is also worth noting that the Pharmacuetical industries promote unnessecary taking of vitamins supplements mainly because the big pharma make the most..

Roche one of the worlds largest Pharmacuetical companies is the largest maker of vitamins http://pubs.acs.org/cen/coverstory/83/8 ... amins.html

the Five a Day encouragement is to get extra dietry fibre into the body and NOT vitamins.. if you have 5 fruit or veg a day you have more than enough vitamins.. so unless a deiciency is identified then avoid.. other problems can occur from overdose.. remember, in everything the poison is in the DOSE! including water, vitamins, and Mcdonalds!

keeping a balanced diet and introducing herbs and spices will not only benefit your health but also make food real tasty!

tumeric is very very easy to stain.. treat it like gloss paint lol! it wont come out easy!

here is a great quick fish recipe (or chicken or quorn etc!) which i use tumeric in..

a friend from sri lanka showed and i will never forget!..

anyhow,

white fish, chicken cubes
tumeric
1 chilli - to taste!
1 clove garlic
1 clove sized piece of ginger 50% garlic 50% ginger!
olive oil
salt pepper

thats it.. mix the ingredients in a bowl and coat the fish throughly gently!

:crazy: :lol: :yikes:
I am a Bi-polatic-Fibromyalgic.. I am Obsessive and Sceptical. I am a right Polymath..

"The only way to be always right, is to change your mind when you are proved wrong. Celebrate your mistakes as knowledge gained"
johnashu
UKFM Member

Postby johnashu » Fri May 02, 2014 8:26 pm

Remember, fruits, vegetables and other whole foods are the best sources of vitamins and minerals. And it's tough to beat plain water as a healthy, no-calorie drink. If you don't care for plain water, try sparkling water or a squirt of lemon or cranberry juice in your water.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-livin ... q-20058089
I am a Bi-polatic-Fibromyalgic.. I am Obsessive and Sceptical. I am a right Polymath..

"The only way to be always right, is to change your mind when you are proved wrong. Celebrate your mistakes as knowledge gained"
johnashu
UKFM Member

Postby Lindilou » Fri May 02, 2014 8:57 pm

I've never found any supplements to make ANY difference and as for a good diet we should be having that anyway.
Lindilou

Postby johnashu » Fri May 02, 2014 10:01 pm

Lindilou wrote:I've never found any supplements to make ANY difference and as for a good diet we should be having that anyway.

Unless you have a deficiency they wont do anything, and can possibly do harm if taking too many unnecessarily!

if you are getting your five a day, your body has more than enough vitamins etc..

five a day is for fibre:)

johnashu
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Sat May 03, 2014 12:24 pm

My diet is excellent and actually I have found the supplements I take make a difference. But thanks for the well meaning advice anyway.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat May 03, 2014 1:51 pm

The natural/alternative/complimentary approaches seem to have a similar issue to what the pharmaceutical way of managing FM has.......what may benefit one may do very little for another. And with both approaches, various combos and levels need to be tried to find what does make that difference.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Debs1967 » Sat May 03, 2014 5:18 pm

I took evening primrose years ago when first diagnosed.
6 weeks in my breasts were swollen and sore, had a scan and a mass was found, got booked in to have a needle biopsy.
Stopped taking the primrose oil and found that my breast returned to normal. Turned up for the biopsy but they couldn't find the lump?

Tried again to take it a few years back, same thing happened, swollen sore breast within 24 hours.
Debs1967
UKFM Member

Postby johnashu » Sat May 03, 2014 5:57 pm

Debs1967 wrote:I took evening primrose years ago when first diagnosed.
6 weeks in my breasts were swollen and sore, had a scan and a mass was found, got booked in to have a needle biopsy.
Stopped taking the primrose oil and found that my breast returned to normal. Turned up for the biopsy but they couldn't find the lump?

Tried again to take it a few years back, same thing happened, swollen sore breast within 24 hours.

I assume you were taking it for Pain in the breast? the interactions below can increase swelling, and bruising.. a good example to simply check what drugs do when they are mixed, this includes alcohol for example.

If you were taking amitriptyline or similar i would not be surprised.. They do not mix very well!

Same with NSAIDs Aspirin, Pregabalin etc etc..mainly because evening primrose oil contains GLA (gamma-linolenic acid)

It is very misguided to assume that something 'natural' is automatically ok..

Pregabalin, amitryptiline, MST's and even Naproxen, Ibuprofen, Paracetamol, Aspirin.

These are all serious drugs for long term use.. Paracetamol for example , in the United States and the United Kingdom,it is the most common cause of acute liver failure. More than alcohol! long term use of NSAIDs are also not ideal for the kidneys.

You have to be aware of how serious these drugs are long term and if mixing with something unprescribed is potentially dangerous!

if you have a read you will find that it is well established, researched and publicly available all interactions between all drugs, chemicals etc etc..

http://www.rxlist.com/evening_primrose_ ... teractions

Anyhow.. Just please be careful about what you put into your body..

I will always be happy to discuss or explore anything, :)

johnashu
UKFM Member

Postby johnashu » Sat May 03, 2014 6:31 pm

Debs1967 wrote:I took evening primrose years ago when first diagnosed.

I would just like to point out that if you were taking the drugs i mentioned and think that the interaction could have been the cause. Bear in mind that regardless of any insinuation, ANY lump has to be checked!

:)

johnashu
UKFM Member

Postby TGM » Sat May 03, 2014 10:03 pm

One of my symptoms, in addition to poor and easily interrupted sleep, is severe nightsweats. Since November last year I have been taking Reishi Mushroom supplements (available on Amazon - I buy Swanson 600 mg) which has cleared the nightsweats up completely. I also wake up less during the night. It took a week or two for it to kick in, but it has changed things for the better for me. I think it has generally improved oxygen uptake too as my legs don't feel as heavy walking the stairs anymore. It may not work for everyone, though.
TGM
UKFM Newbie

Postby Easylifer » Sun May 04, 2014 1:09 am

Thank you all for your replies, I have a lot of reading to do, and note taking as I read stuff then don't remember what I've read :roll:
Easylifer
UKFM Member

Postby johnashu » Sun May 04, 2014 1:27 pm

TGM wrote:One of my symptoms, in addition to poor and easily interrupted sleep, is severe nightsweats. Since November last year I have been taking Reishi Mushroom supplements (available on Amazon - I buy Swanson 600 mg) which has cleared the nightsweats up completely. I also wake up less during the night. It took a week or two for it to kick in, but it has changed things for the better for me. I think it has generally improved oxygen uptake too as my legs don't feel as heavy walking the stairs anymore. It may not work for everyone, though.

Reishi Mushroom helps lower Blood pressure and thins the blood/slows clotting.. this may explain the better legs.. who knows.. i am glad it works for you but please read the fact sheet as there are interactions with common FM drugs such as Naproxen!

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplemen ... 20MUSHROOM

again as everything, read what it is you need..

and as with anything, Reishi Mushroom is not without its complications.. does not make it deadly but please read.

johnashu
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia