It's all in your head

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

It's all in your head

Postby DRM » Mon May 05, 2014 5:34 pm

Well last night I actually managed a night out on the town & I'm not even feeling too bad today! Unfortunately when I was out I ran into a cognitive behavioural therapist & got chatting about fibro. He matter of factly told me I needed therapy because fibro 'is all in your head'. The way he said it suggested that he had never even considered this wasn't correct. I calmly tried to explain that most of the medical profession have long moved on from this view, while inside my emotions were going mad - rage, upset and disappointment that this guy in his early 30's working in the medical profession thinks this way. Even a little doubt crept in while I was defending myself I'm sorry to say.
What should I have said to this fool & the others like him who think fibro is in our heads???
Love & best wishes,
Denise x
DRM
UKFM Member

Re: It's all in your head

Postby painprincess1 » Tue May 06, 2014 9:33 am

[url][/url]What can u say love you can't. It's just like if you don't believe in ghosts unless one taps them on the shoulders and says hi they ain't going to ever believe it.
I have the same prob with my OH. If I'm dieing on my feet he will get a headahce and go to bed. Then say why didn't i. Erm I have a baby and a puppy.
So I get so mad I just don't even try anymore.
I guess it's something u learn over time you know your hitting a brick wall and you will learn not to even borther.
The other thing is why your sitting there thinking of what u might of said your getting all wind up and make yourself feel even worse.one day all these stupid ppl will be eating there words and maybe that won't be for years but one day anyone with this will never feel like they need explain the selfs again. We can only hope
Last edited by painprincess1 on Tue May 06, 2014 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Tue May 06, 2014 9:52 am

I would say... feel my neck!

Once they feel how rock solid my neck is they... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: I say this is how my whole body is! and so they can see its not in my head!

I done this a few years back. I was walking through town and there was a chiropractor offering free consultations.

I couldnt help myself and wanted to see what knowledge he had on it. Not much was the answer so i told him to feel my neck/shoulders & back.

Well his face was a pic :lol: my muscles are like stone and i said *thats fibro* :-|
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby macca » Tue May 06, 2014 1:54 pm

Always tickles me how 'medical professionals' that suggest this is all in the head have come to this startling conclusion without suffering from it themselves. Its like my wife's view of Manflu ... how can she possibly know how serious it really is ... she's not a man :lol:
macca
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Tue May 06, 2014 2:06 pm

No-one has ever doubted me or said anything like that to me, but for the future if anyone should, I would point them at this page on the NHS website and tell them to get educated http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Fibromyalg ... ction.aspx AND suggest that since it is specifically mentioned in the Equality Act in the same 'breath' as rheumatoid arthritis and epilepsy, they might want to brush up on how to deal with people suffering from it http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov. ... -guide.pdf
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue May 06, 2014 2:16 pm

If it was me, I'd want to tell him that yes, I am in need of therapy where FM is concerned, but not because it is all in my head, but because I need help with dealing with the images and thoughts that dinosaurs in the healthcare profession following such beliefs stir up :waiting: :waiting: :waiting: I'd also direct him to the NHS Choices pages and ask him to explain about the problems the creators/authors of such sites and articles must have to fly in the face of their oh~so learned wisdom :face-slap: :face-slap: :face-slap: :face-slap: :face-slap: :face-slap: :face-slap: :face-slap: :face-slap: :face-slap: :face-slap: :face-slap:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Tue May 06, 2014 5:34 pm

I cant come up with an answer that would not have me banned for the use of profanities so I just echo what the others have said :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia