Tens machine

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Tens machine

Postby Emmaxx » Tue May 06, 2014 8:00 pm

Well I thought I would try a tens machine to help with the pain never had 1 b4. It was a awful feeling lol I felt like I was getting static and painful shots over my body lol will not be using it again! I suppose I can say atleast I have tried [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Emmaxx
UKFM Member

Re: Tens machine

Postby howardtheduck » Wed May 07, 2014 12:41 pm

Im sorry to hear that it caused pain in you!

I used it, waste of time for me, no pain but no relief... its was given by physio though.. my housemate who has OA said the same!

Ive heard of it not working and a read studies confirming this. in fact its just supposed to 'distract' your mind from the pain, at best.

most confirming studies are in combination with other treatments so still an area of research..

electric machines like TENS, Alpha Stim etc have been around since the 18th century. invented, or advocated m ainly by the man who started the methodists!

Try some real massage, from a masseuse who knows FM. i found that a lot better than TENS!,

I hope you find some pain RELIEF soon :)
howardtheduck
UKFM Newbie

Postby carolad » Wed May 07, 2014 11:07 pm

Emmaxx wrote:Well I thought I would try a tens machine to help with the pain never had 1 b4. It was a awful feeling lol I felt like I was getting static and painful shots over my body lol will not be using it again! I suppose I can say atleast I have tried [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

Oh dear, not a pleasant experience! It sounds like you had the setting too high, it should be set at a level where you are only just aware of it, you certainly shouldn't feel pain from it. It's best to start with it very low and then slowly turn it up as your body gets used to it - but you should only be aware of a mild tingling sensation, nothing more :)
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby howardtheduck » Thu May 08, 2014 4:09 am

carolad wrote:
Emmaxx wrote:Well I thought I would try a tens machine to help with the pain never had 1 b4. It was a awful feeling lol I felt like I was getting static and painful shots over my body lol will not be using it again! I suppose I can say atleast I have tried [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

Oh dear, not a pleasant experience! It sounds like you had the setting too high, it should be set at a level where you are only just aware of it, you certainly shouldn't feel pain from it. It's best to start with it very low and then slowly turn it up as your body gets used to it - but you should only be aware of a mild tingling sensation, nothing more :)

howardtheduck
UKFM Newbie

Postby Lindilou » Thu May 08, 2014 8:54 am

Defiantly too high a setting.
Lindilou

Postby zappa20 » Thu May 08, 2014 2:53 pm

A Tens machine is simply a convenient method of distraction of pain signals. Not designed to totally remove pain but distract you from concentrating on the pain. Definitely sounds like you had the settings too high.

Other methods of distraction work can work , try tapping a different beat with each hand at the same time. It's not easy and while the mind concentrates on doing that it can't process pain signals to the same extent. Won't remove pain but will lessen it. Unless perhaps you're a drummer that is !
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby Emmaxx » Thu May 08, 2014 5:35 pm

Lol yes I put it on high massage setting in my pj laying in bed expect a lovely sensation laid down put it on full and never jump out of the bed so quick in my life haha. I keep giggling 2 myself when I think bout it lol xx

Emmaxx
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu May 08, 2014 7:24 pm

Putting poor old Mr TENsy on at full pelt the first time you used him will have been a shock, both to you and him :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Emmaxx » Thu May 08, 2014 8:37 pm

Lol yes I defo should of look at the instructions [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Emmaxx
UKFM Member

Postby Emmaxx » Thu May 08, 2014 8:41 pm

Thank you 4 all yr comments live and learn ha xx

Emmaxx
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia