Parents evening

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Parents evening

Postby kazisedso » Wed May 07, 2014 6:57 pm

Hello all .. Hope everyone is doing ok.
Long post alert*****

I attended my 12yr old son's parent evening today...... Oh dear [PENSIVE FACE][PENSIVE FACE]

It's not oh dear regarding my son, he is doing extremely well, and myself and his dad are very proud of him.....

The oh dear is in regard to how much walking was involved!!!

Luckily the school is all on one level so no stairs to contend with.... But..... Not one appointment was next to the other.

I can only walk very short distances using elbow crutches, but this was ridiculous!

From one end of the school to the other after each appointment...... I saw three of his teachers then I couldn't do any more [PENSIVE FACE] I am now in absolute agony!!!

I had to return to the car and sit and wait whilst my hubby finished seeing DS teachers.

Just sitting in the car resting was a nightmare..... And I'm sat here now at home with the worst pain in my back hips and legs, headache and I feel like utter crap!!

I thought I'd be able to manage the evening ok, but no, I just could not walk around any more, and getting back to the car was no mean feat! I had to sit and rest before I could carry on getting back to the car.

To any one who hasn't got Fibro, this would have been just another evening, done and dusted no problems...... But not for me, there were quite a few parents waiting around so it was quite crowded, I was trying to walk around using my crutches, and getting out of the way of people who could walk faster than me...,so as not to hold them up.

Folks are bloody ignorant at times, they just would not move to the side to let me pass, I got sick of saying excuse me.., and also the other parents looking at me wondering 'what I had done' a couple who vaguely know me actually asked what I'd done, what I'd been up to...., I just said oooooo long story will tell you another day!

I did not realise how tired and painful this 'simple' task would be.

I have spoken to my son regarding his future parent evenings and I have said to him that I don't think I will be able to attend them in person anymore as it's just too painful.

In future I will have to have a telephone parent evening, or, his dad will just have to attend without me.

My son bless him, has accepted this, he could see how much I was struggling.
I told him that I am and always will be interested in how he is doing at school and that we will have to try and make different arrangements so I can be informed by his school.

Just another task that Fibro has had a say in..., but I had to try as I want my son to know that I do care and I am interested in his schooling.

Still trying to adjust to how pain and fibro can make a 'simple' parents evening turn into a pain fest!!

I'm off in the bath now to try and ease the pains, and hopefully I haven't pushed too much so I'm in agony for the next few days.

As always , thanks for reading, and letting me get it off my chest.

Karen
kazisedso
UKFM Member

Re: Parents evening

Postby Theresa34 » Wed May 07, 2014 7:59 pm

So sorry for your pain x I am still awaiting my 12 yr olds parent meeting. I expect I will have to go class to class like you. This is her first year in secondary school. She says she has 12 teachers to see! I do not want to go to 12 classrooms. They have a second floor, so up and down for me! How many teachers does he have? Seems ridiculous you have to go here there and everywhere!
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby kazisedso » Wed May 07, 2014 8:25 pm

Hi,

It's my sons first year at secondary school too.

He has a lot of teachers but only made appointments for 7!!! I only saw 3 and couldn't carry on.

I hope when you go to your daughter's parents evening it all goes ok.

At one time they organised parents evening to be in the main school hall , this was ok but soon got very over crowded so that too was a no no for me, but now ,you have to go to different classrooms all over the place, I just can't manage and I'm not going to go in my wheel chair, folks barely move for me on crutches so a wheel chair is definitely not in the pic.... Although it would make my life easier!!

No, I shall arrange telephone contact so I don't have to do this again, it really has taken it out of me.

Karen . X
kazisedso
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Wed May 07, 2014 8:33 pm

I hope the pain eases. The only thing that really helps me is a hot bath x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Wed May 07, 2014 8:38 pm

Ring the school and tell them u need help,if they want u to come in again maybe see them over a few days or even chat over the phone. There are ways round it so u don't go feeling so bad .xxxx and I'm sure as long as dad can go then your son will be just as happy. Some kids don't have any parent go so don't be so hard on your self xxxx
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia