Sensitivity to light

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Sensitivity to light

Postby Queenie_70 » Wed May 14, 2014 5:21 pm

I am a blue eyed,(natural) because that is what it says on the box...blonde! This last week I can barely open my eyes outside. At this time I am using sunglasses in my house as even lamps and overheads are too much. Anyone else?? xx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Re: Sensitivity to light

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed May 14, 2014 5:43 pm

It's something that affects a good number of us, along with sensitivities to things such as noise and smells. With it being something that seems to be relatively new for you tho, having it checked out, just to be sure there isn't anything else at work, might be something to consider.

Every once in a while, a dog enters your life and changes everything xx
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Lindilou » Wed May 14, 2014 5:49 pm

Queenie_70 wrote:I am a blue eyed,(natural) because that is what it says on the box...blonde! This last week I can barely open my eyes outside. At this time I am using sunglasses in my house as even lamps and overheads are too much. Anyone else?? xx

Yes same here it comes and goes with me.
Lindilou

Postby whoami » Wed May 14, 2014 6:33 pm

Certain medications can also cause sensitivity to light. I would suggest you talk to your Dr so you can get a proper diagnosis.

There are times that I have worn my sunglasses in the house. For a while I was wearing my sunglasses while driving at night. The lights really bothered me.
I had to stop because it was illegal. My sunglasses at the time were Serengeti drivers lens. Apparently they are not allowed to be worn at night, they are too dark. I now have Maui Jims and they are ok.

Let us know what the Dr says if you go.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Theresa34 » Wed May 14, 2014 7:25 pm

No. I dont have any light sensitivity. I wear sunglasses when it's really sunny but I can also get by without them x
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Andyp » Wed May 14, 2014 9:35 pm

I often find the lights at work are too bright for me.
Andyp
UKFM Member

Postby hoysey » Thu May 15, 2014 9:50 am

I find fluorescent strip lights the worst, hate having to go to any sort of office that uses them.
hoysey
UKFM Member

Postby Purplepig » Thu May 15, 2014 11:02 am

I have PLE Polymorphic Light Eruption can't tolerate light, sitting wit blinds and curtains closed. 50+ prescription Sunblock, skin rash. For last 3 years I've been having light treatment at hospital this is 15 sessions over 5 weeks every March/April for 5 years and hopefully it hardens me to effect of daylight.. Unfortunately fibro too bad this year to travel 80 miles 3 x week so no light treatment.
Purplepig
UKFM Member

Postby Tinkerbell4 » Fri May 16, 2014 8:21 am

My partner has fibromyalgia and until today reading this I never actually made the connection with the light sensitivity. He especially when he enters a large shopping centre or supermarket the strip lights effect him. We just put it down to the false glare off them. This has been going on for sometime. This has opened my eyes that there maybe a connection now to his other condition. I am so glad I read this.
Tinkerbell4
UKFM Newbie

Postby Queenie_70 » Fri May 16, 2014 7:44 pm

FluppyPuffy,

I had not realized the noise aspect of it until you mentioned it. I have always been shy of loud noises, but recently it actually makes me sick to my stomach and I cannot handle it. Very frustrated, especially with my puppy who has a tendency to bark if the wind changes direction.

The most amazing thing about all of you is that you are all in this with me. Not that I would wish that upon my most feared enemy, but to state something and get the responses I do, just makes me realize I am not alone.

I am now unable to work, my tremors have become uncontrollable muscle spasms, I stutter because my jaw muscle is spasming, but so is my stomach which is forcing air out like a machine gun. But as the day progresses, my inability to walk grows. I am not a little woman, nearly 200lbs, but my daughter has had to practically carry me at times, and the couch is now my bed as I have to crawl to get up stairs.

Boy, what a wonderful mismatch of symptoms we are :)
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby Carrie Nourse » Sat May 17, 2014 10:44 pm

Hi, this is very interesting to read as my eyes have got worse outside especially on sunny days as I find if I don't have my sunglasses my eyes are streaming by the time I reach the end of my road and even with sunglasses on my eyes still cry sometimes but I never thought it could be connected to fibro so thank you for the information on this as I will certainly say something when I next have my eyes tested.
Carrie Nourse
UKFM Member

Postby Lindilou » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:31 pm

I've noticed this in myself these last cpl of weeks. Sometimes it's really bright even if the sun isn't out, thanks goodness for sunglasses.
Lindilou

Postby Queenie_70 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:09 pm

My light sensitivity has become increasingly worse to the point I have worn sunglasses in my house at night to function. Noise is a problem also, and I find I hear everything, a bug, people eating, chatter, etc...just a constant battle with with noises. :!:
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby rich44 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:28 pm

I've not noticed the light sensitivity unless I have a migraine but noise God, I can't stand background noise it really freaks me out and I struggle to pick out someone talking to me with background noise
rich44
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia